• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5 2600 stuck at 2.8ghz?

Associate
Hey,

So I've had my R5 2600 a little over a week now and I've been having issues in games ever since I made the jump from a Pentium G4560. In games I've been getting major lag spikes and stuttering. I was curious as to why this was happening, because it never happened with my G4560 and moving to the R5 2600 I thought should have been hell of a jump in performance. So I downloaded some tools (MSI AfterBurner, CPUZ) and noticed my CPU's clock speed is at 2.8ghz and the voltage was at 0.85! The stock speed advertised is 3.4ghz with a 'boost' to 3.9ghz.

I did some searching on Google and I can't seem to find a whole lot. I did see one guy say to reset the CMOS and reseat the RAM on the board, so I tried that to no avail.

Other things I've tried:
Updating the BIOS
Going to an older BIOS build
Using default BIOS settings
Updated all my drivers

Only thing I haven't really delved into is trying to sort it manually in the BIOS. I've never overclocked in my life and don't have a clue how to. Would that be the only option I have? I don't even know how capable my board is when it comes to messing about with voltages etc...

If anybody can help it'd be greatly appreciated

Specs:

R5 2600 w/ Stock cooler
ASUS PRIME B450M-K
16GB Corsair Vengence RAM
GTX 1060 3GB
120GB Kingston SSD
1TB WD 7200 HDD
Corsair GS600w PSU

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm running Prime95 as we speak and the max clock so far is 2800mhz, it's been running for about half an hour now
*Prime95 as soon as it's initiated should make it spike immediately.

I would try clearing your CMOS again and load optimised defaults (forget memory settings).

Load up Windows, check. If it works re-set your memory - check again.

If all that fails i would consider flashing to the latest BIOS (via EZ Flash not windows)

Associate
OP
as said,
step 1, in any problem solving is reset bios (all settings) ALLLLLL, uninstalls all the overclocking crap you have installed(we all have it)
step 2, are you running the latest bios, if not why not?

I do have the latest installed now. I did before to, but I reverted back to the one before the latest one to see if it would fix the problem. It didn't.

Associate
This happened to me, check your power profile in windows settings and make sure its not set on power saving as this will limit it more than likely. I just made a custom profile and go into the advanced settings and change the CPU to the something like

nBzAXZA.jpg

That should solve any power related throlttling whilst allowing it to drop back when its not under any load. If its not that then I'm out of ideas :)

Back
Top Bottom