• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5 3600 Stock Situation

Associate
Whats going on with Ryzen 5 3600 the past few weeks?

Bad enough its went from £140 to £180 during lockdown in March but why is it still rising and stock harder to get?

At first I thought they were holding stock for a Black Friday sale but not even seen a quid off one yet!

Associate
7nm stock is stretched across the board. New cpus, new gpus, new consoles - old tech will be dropping down the priority list

Soldato
It is strange though isn't it. AMD release a new processor range and the price of the old ones actually increase rather than drop!

Guess it's mainly down to AMD raising prices though and the 5600x costing nearly £300.

Associate
OP
Makes sense.. never even thought about the new Xbox/PS affecting it due to people building PCs instead...

Owell was the last part we needed for build.. guess he will just need to bite the bullet.

Soldato
It is strange though isn't it. AMD release a new processor range and the price of the old ones actually increase rather than drop!

Guess it's mainly down to AMD raising prices though and the 5600x costing nearly £300.
I would love to see AMD turnover and profit at the moment.
People (like me) buying a 3600 as a stop gap between a 5000 series chip is my guess. Also people realising through reviews & forums that AMD are great intel beating chips so buy up older tech too like the 3000 series.
I sold my 3600 on for no loss after a weeks use before getting a 5800X

Associate
Standard consumer CPU and GPUs are their lowest priority unfortunately - consoles take the biggest priority by quite a bit, then servers. Zen3 and RDNA2 get the scraps.

Soldato
People (like me) buying a 3600 as a stop gap between a 5000 series chip is my guess.

The 3600 was definitely the "Goldilocks" model in the AMD Ryzen 3000 range. At around ~£175 it's powerful enough to make anyone contemplating at 3100/3300 spend the extra and quick enough to put many off the idea of spending more to buy a 3700/3800.

It's a shame the 5000 series doesn't have an equivalent part out right now :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What would be the next step down before the 3600 I should advise my friend to get if he is strugglin to get one and needs to save a little off his budget?

The 3300X?

Soldato
Why would AMD want to release a 5600 now, when mugs are blowing wads of cash on higher tier parts just to game.:eek: Once that starts falling off, you can bet your **** AMD will release it lol. :p

Caporegime
Why would AMD want to release a 5600 now, when mugs are blowing wads of cash on higher tier parts just to game.:eek: Once that starts falling off, you can bet your **** AMD will release it lol. :p
They're in danger of not having a <£300 offering at all.

Maybe they don't care, and we'll all buy >£500 CPUs instead.

Soldato
and intels not sitting around idle, if amd can sell lower end cpus people will commit to am4 knowing they can get a higher end cpu in the future for it. guarantee when intel drop the next gen amd prices will drop.

Soldato
and intels not sitting around idle, if amd can sell lower end cpus people will commit to am4 knowing they can get a higher end cpu in the future for it. guarantee when intel drop the next gen amd prices will drop.
Yeah, and Intel always seems to hold its value regardless like its some sort of premium company.

Once Intel release anything on par all the sheep start flocking back to Intel, AMD sell-on value just gets destroyed. Same with Nvidia GPU's, they hold their value more usually compared to AMD.

Soldato
intel is where its at after all. support from intel is good, when first gen ryzen come out with segfault issues amd kept quiet about it and just accepted rma's. to this day amd never said what caused the issue and what they did in the newer batch of cpus to fix it.
also with cpu security patches intel pay the bug bounty fees, amd dont. nvidia pay for whql drivers on a very often and regular basis, amd doesnt put out whql drivers as often as nvidia and relies on freebee betas.
with AMD you get a budget solution and all the cut corners that come with it. only now amd have the performance but iv seen this before when they had athlon cpus and the athlon 64. AMD used to call out the nvidia crew at e3 to bench against them etc.

but we need competition otherwise prices stay high.

Back
Top Bottom