Ryzen 5 3600 w/ Dark Rock Pro 4 temps

Associate
I built my new rig today:

B450 Tomahawk Max

R5 3600

Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler

16GB 3200MHz DDR4

GTX 1060 3GB (my RTX 2060s is still on back order)

However while just rebuilding the files, and installing programmes and games the CPU managed to reach 69.5c, and Cinebench R20 pushed it to 74c

also 30 mins on Prime95 saw an average of 71c, with a peak of 82.5c

Now im new to AMD chips, always had intel, and this is my first build myself - but is this normal for this CPU+cooler. Or have I done something wrong?

Soldato
That's pretty high for that cooler and chip.

Is this with everything at stock?

What are your ambient temps?

You could try reseating the HSF, this might sound daft but it happens to someone at least once a week on here, did you remove the protective plastic film on the bottom (aka where it sits against the CPU) of the HSF?

Associate
OP
That's pretty high for that cooler and chip.

Is this with everything at stock?

What are your ambient temps?

You could try reseating the HSF, this might sound daft but it happens to someone at least once a week on here, did you remove the protective plastic film on the bottom (aka where it sits against the CPU) of the HSF?

Yepp everything at stock (other than RAM has XMP enabled if that affects it)

I did remove the plastic, as I just found it stuck to the back of my phone haha

Soldato
Yepp everything at stock (other than RAM has XMP enabled if that affects it)

I did remove the plastic, as I just found it stuck to the back of my phone haha

Haha. You would be surprised at how often that happens mind, a little while back a guy who had 10 + years experience of building custom water cooling setups did exactly that with the plastic! lol

What sort of case is your rig inside of, and how are your fans setup?

Ambient temps would help too.

A picture would help a lot ontop of knowing your case.

Associate
OP
Haha. You would be surprised at how often that happens mind, a little while back a guy who had 10 + years experience of building custom water cooling setups did exactly that with the plastic! lol

What sort of case is your rig inside of, and how are your fans setup?

Ambient temps would help too.

A picture would help a lot ontop of knowing your case.

https://imgur.com/a/a8uVcuA - Just reseated the HSF - took bloody ages to reclip in that middle fan >.<

thats 2 intake fans, 1 exhaust behind.

Not sure what ambient temp is as no household thermometer, would guess between 20-24c

Soldato
I'm guessing that's two front intake and one exhaust? Just reread your post!

What case is it?

Even assuming a case with bad airflow mind you, you should not be getting those temps with that CPU and that HSF.

What are you using to monitor your temps?

..Yeah, the worst part of fitting an HSF is almost always the damn fans, I feel your pain bud.

Associate
OP
I'm guessing that's two front intake and one exhaust? Just reread your post!

What case is it?

Even assuming a case with bad airflow mind you, you should not be getting those temps with that CPU and that HSF.

What are you using to monitor your temps?

..Yeah, the worst part of fitting an HSF is almost always the damn fans, I feel your pain bud.

Corsair Spec 06

HWInfo - GPUZ and MSI - checked them all

since rebooting after reseating, I have literally turned the PC back on, opened the monitors, and come to this forum. Temps have been as low as 35c and spiked up o 60c while just browsing the web

Soldato
Alright.

Boot into your bios and check your temps with that, then when you're in Windows try SpeeFan as an alternate software monitor.

I've built one or two Ryzen systems where the software was misreporting, I find SpeedFan is generally decent but you might need to configure it right to show CPU specifically. Be sure to set your bios to default settings when checking these things.

Depending on what you do your voltage will spike for boosting purposes, but it should only be boosting when you're doing something like gaming or what have you.

How is your Windows power plan set up? If it's max performance it's going to be on the high side try setting it to balanced so the chip can clock down if that's the case.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Right, went into Bios, was reporting CPU at 32c, Installed Speedfan but have no clue how to get it to show CPU temps, only wants to show HDD/SSD temps

At this point I feel like im better off putting the wraith cooler in haha

Soldato
Go to configure on the main screen and deselect anything other than CPU-CPU.

I suspect your temps are fine but you're getting software confusion.

Once you've done that try monitoring temps when you run Prime or better yet a game.

Soldato
only things that show up in the temps tab of conig is my HDD/SSDs haha

That's a little odd.

Do you have the AMD chipset drivers installed?

You should be getting a bunch of options to monitor temps, and I suspect the temps you're seeing in the software you're using aren't accurate.

Back
Top Bottom