• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5 5600G and Ryzen 7 5700G coming in August.

Soldato
I have been looking at these chips again, and realized that it probably just isn't worth it, unless you are JUST using it for the iGPU

I was looking at doing the whole GPGPU card, and shove that alongside a 5600g. So something like a Tesla M40 AI card (headless dGPU), and push that through the integrated graphics after cooling modding it etc.

However, I was looking at the actual performance of the 5600g and 5700g compared to the 5600x, and in some games, it is massively cut down on frame rate with the same discrete card being used. This it seems comes down to the 16GB vs 32GB of level 3 cache that AMD decided to change. Annoying. That's not even funny when some games you are losing a third of the frames because of cache.

Soldato
I have been looking at these chips again, and realized that it probably just isn't worth it, unless you are JUST using it for the iGPU

I was looking at doing the whole GPGPU card, and shove that alongside a 5600g. So something like a Tesla M40 AI card (headless dGPU), and push that through the integrated graphics after cooling modding it etc.

However, I was looking at the actual performance of the 5600g and 5700g compared to the 5600x, and in some games, it is massively cut down on frame rate with the same discrete card being used. This it seems comes down to the 16GB vs 32GB of level 3 cache that AMD decided to change. Annoying. That's not even funny when some games you are losing a third of the frames because of cache.

I would be more concerned about the performance drop with Tesla card. The 5700G seem get within 10-15% of a stock 5800X in most tasks.

Soldato

Both the 10400 and 11400 are better than a 5600G when using a DGPU while also being quite a bit cheaper although the 5600G does have the better iGPU.

Soldato
Both the 10400 and 11400 are better than a 5600G when using a DGPU while also being quite a bit cheaper although the 5600G does have the better iGPU.

This was actually my train of thought to be frank. I started thinking about swapping to that platform... but then I have the motherboard cost to consider in ITX form. (or I just give my kid my really nice ITX box with the RTX 2060 and my go intel). All because I like to tinker, and don't want my underdog setup to be so far behind like the 5600G lol.

Soldato
I would be more concerned about the performance drop with Tesla card. The 5700G seem get within 10-15% of a stock 5800X in most tasks.

A Tesla M40 with 12 or 24gb seems to fair pretty well. Don't get me wrong, it was even better when they were only around 150... and have doubled in price now. But I'm intrigued, even though it will likely be a complete faff and constant tinkering lol.

Soldato
A Tesla M40 with 12 or 24gb seems to fair pretty well. Don't get me wrong, it was even better when they were only around 150... and have doubled in price now. But I'm intrigued, even though it will likely be a complete faff and constant tinkering lol.

Yeah, I think you’d have a lot of fun with Nvidia drivers on Windows. Cooling it would be interesting too.

From an ease of use POV I’d take a 5700G system over it, that is for dang sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I have for older and money becomes less of an issue, I am more and more inclined to choose at the ease of use aspect, and just go the expensive route. The drop in some titles is crazy with 5600g/5700g. I would say I don't care about crazy high frame rates, but 200 vs 400 something is a big difference to my tiny brain lol.

A full fat version g cpu would have been an instant sell lol.

Soldato
As I have for older and money becomes less of an issue, I am more and more inclined to choose at the ease of use aspect, and just go the expensive route. The drop in some titles is crazy with 5600g/5700g. I would say I don't care about crazy high frame rates, but 200 vs 400 something is a big difference to my tiny brain lol.

A full fat version g cpu would have been an instant sell lol.

Well it looks like the Ryzen 6000 range could be V-Cache APU’s with RDNA3 graphics. I wouldn’t say it will be long before AMD add a chunk of HBMe into the mix.

The 5700G is an impressive chip. It’s raised the entry bar for discrete add-in boards and massive improved on AMD’s older APU chips. Integrated graphics like DG1 is now pretty much dead as a product.

Soldato
Well it looks like the Ryzen 6000 range could be V-Cache APU’s with RDNA3 graphics. I wouldn’t say it will be long before AMD add a chunk of HBMe into the mix.

The 5700G is an impressive chip. It’s raised the entry bar for discrete add-in boards and massive improved on AMD’s older APU chips. Integrated graphics like DG1 is now pretty much dead as a product.

It mostly certainly is impressive. I used to run a heavily overclocked Aseries APU. I was P-state hacking the chip to make sure the the CPU clocks didn't drop by 1000mhz when using the iGPU portion, then overclocked the the CPU/Memory/iGPU as well. Was really great fun. So, I'm definitely in the camp of liking APU's :) There is a heavy possibility I just cave and buy a 5600g for my board temporarily, and donate the 3600 CPU and RTX 2060 GPU to my kid.

I am actually a little disappointed they didn't push the iGPU in this 5xxxg series to be better, as it's pretty much still just the 4xxxg series iGPU :( Still massively ahead of any other iGPU though, perhaps that's why they didn't feel pressure to advance it yet.

Definitely looking forward to the APUs with V-cache.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, the 7850K was a fun chip to play with. Fond memories of downgrading, and pushing it to see what I could get away with.
I want to go back to something similar, but have been disappointed with the GPU side of AMD's APUs for a few releases.

Associate
I am actually a little disappointed they didn't push the iGPU in this 5xxxg series to be better, as it's pretty much still just the 4xxxg series iGPU :( Still massively ahead of any other iGPU though, perhaps that's why they didn't feel pressure to advance it yet.

Memory bandwidth is the issue, that's why they stopped making Vega11 iGPUs... To take advantage of the extra power either something exotic like HBM or DDR5 is needed. We will see what next gen APUs can do with the Steam deck actually, although extra cache could help.

Soldato
Memory bandwidth is the issue, that's why they stopped making Vega11 iGPUs... To take advantage of the extra power either something exotic like HBM or DDR5 is needed. We will see what next gen APUs can do with the Steam deck actually, although extra cache could help.

I had noticed that, and had thought I was going nuts that they went from Vega 11 to 8 in later generations. Pushing the memory was always the best way for APUs. DDR5 will be interesting.

Soldato
The 5700G overclocked with 2000 IF is surprisingly useful. Obviously that means the extra expense of exotic DDR4, but I have a hunch that 3D V cache could play a role along with DDR5 and a move to RDNA based design.

Associate
It mostly certainly is impressive. I used to run a heavily overclocked Aseries APU. I was P-state hacking the chip to make sure the the CPU clocks didn't drop by 1000mhz when using the iGPU portion, then overclocked the the CPU/Memory/iGPU as well. Was really great fun. So, I'm definitely in the camp of liking APU's :) There is a heavy possibility I just cave and buy a 5600g for my board temporarily, and donate the 3600 CPU and RTX 2060 GPU to my kid.

Definitely looking forward to the APUs with V-cache.

Amd next gen Apu`s should be a worth while upgrade for those who want an all in solution.

Back
Top Bottom