Ryzen 5 build advice.

Associate
So..

I've decided that for all-round gaming, video editing and lightroom stuff on a budget, the Ryzen 5 6-cores are the way to go.

I've around £700 and come up with these:

Ryzen 5 1600 - £219
Asus Prime B350 - £99
Kingston Fury Black 2x8gb 2666mhz £140
XFX Radeon RX480 8gb - £210

Total £668

That leaves a little left for a new keyboard and WiFi adapter.

Is this about the best setup for that price or does anyone have any other ideas before I spend my money?

I have PSU, case, SSD and HDDs, 1080p monitor & mouse. I might upgrade to a better monitor down the line.

I'm particularly worried about the ram compatibility (been reading up on that on the other thread which talk about "Samsung b die" etc, which I have no idea about!)

Any advice welcome. Cheers!

Soldato
if you are going non x model you want to get an x370 board or get the 1600x with a b350 like I did if you cba overclocking

the team group 3200 ram is supposed to be decent too

---

---

Associate
So..

I've decided that for all-round gaming, video editing and lightroom stuff on a budget, the Ryzen 5 6-cores are the way to go.

I've around £700 and come up with these:

Ryzen 5 1600 - £219
Asus Prime B350 - £99
Kingston Fury Black 2x8gb 2666mhz £140
XFX Radeon RX480 8gb - £210

Total £668

That leaves a little left for a new keyboard and WiFi adapter.

Is this about the best setup for that price or does anyone have any other ideas before I spend my money?

I have PSU, case, SSD and HDDs, 1080p monitor & mouse. I might upgrade to a better monitor down the line.

I'm particularly worried about the ram compatibility (been reading up on that on the other thread which talk about "Samsung b die" etc, which I have no idea about!)

Any advice welcome. Cheers!
I heard a lot of good about Asus but not the motherboard even the reviews but was probably just early adopter complaints.
I like your choice though have a XFX myself looks great!

---

---

Associate
Surley

Surley you can overclock the ryzen 5 1600 on a b350 motherboard
You can but it's not as efficient or capable as more efficient power delivery is needed VRM's. Hence the X370's are advised. You can do it more efficiently at lesser temperatures with these. Getting safer and higher OC's.

It's one reason I was seriously considering a X370 :/

Associate
pretty good, though I have a 240mm AIO. Mid-high 60s under synthetic load. mid 50s in gaming

edit - My honest thought on the subject is that before we saw how frankly poor ryzen overclocking was we all assumed that power delivery was going to be super important. But everything I've seen subsequently suggests that a really good power delivery will only really help get you that last 100mhz or so. If ryzen could clock better, say 4.5ghz on really good chips then I'd say go for the better power delivery, but as it stands its the difference between 3.9 and 4ghz

Last edited:

---

---

Associate
Ah nice yeah I wouldn't have minded the wraith max I asked someone from AMD on a AMA if they might do it as a standalone and they said yes.

I'll have to see if there's any performance benefits just a shame the wraith cooler is bland bundled with the R5 :/

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info.

I've seen an AsRock x370 killer mobo which is £50 more expensive. It does, however, have built in WiFi so it'd only work out £30 more given I wouldn't need a WiFi adapter.

Tbh I'm not an overclocker. I just want everything to work when I put it all together ☺️. Will the ram work at it's default speeds of 2666mhz given the board supports it?

Back
Top Bottom