• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Soldato
I suspect an overclocked 5800X will be the best choice for games due to having only a single CCX and not having the penalty of crossing the infinity fabric. The 5900X will absolutely rule in multithreading and when compared at stock it might be faster in some scenarios due to being clocked higher. But if you're willing to overclock a bit and *only* care about games, then 5800X is probably the better choice. I do a decent amount of video encoding so I'm aiming for 5900X, but I'm not sure if that's the best choice if you only look for a gaming CPU.

As to how the 5850X will perform - probably very very well, except that having that many cores in one package it will run into thermal limits more easily. It's hard to say how much of a limiting factor this will be, if at all.

I think you are right about 5900x. And to that extent, 5950x will behave similarly to 5900x due to having two CCD/CCX and needing to cross IF.

5800x and 5600x all having a single CCX will be better for games as no infinity fabric issues and access to that fast L3 cache.

I think if 5600x and 5800x clocked to the same speed given the same cooking and platform, they both will perform the same in all the games we have now. That’s why for GAMES ONLY 5600x might be a very good value option.

Associate
Seems one (expensive) solution is to turn off one ccx on a 5950X lol, that way you can use the higher binned ccx with better thermals compared to the poorly binned 5800X.

Soldato
Wish granted. Reviews will be 1h after launch.;)
Ha ! :D :D

I suspect an overclocked 5800X will be the best choice for games due to having only a single CCX and not having the penalty of crossing the infinity fabric.

As to how the 5950X will perform - probably very very well, except that having that many cores in one package it will run into thermal limits more easily. It's hard to say how much of a limiting factor this will be, if at all.

Yeah, interesting....I was thinking of just splashing out for the 5950X because, why the hell not, treat myself.
Want I don't want is a beast that has cooling issues though. Well, not issues, but takes a bit more effort/noise to cool it down.

As I'm coming from a 7 year old Core 2 Duo machine, perhaps a 5800X will be better suited :)

Associate
@Temujin Where is it advised to get a 5 series motherboard i have a b450 aorus elite obviously 5 series are better but amd have stated that there is no performance difference between the 2 types of boards. I agree with upgrade on the b350 tho.

Soldato
if i was looking to purchase a mobo out of the box to work with the 3070 i've got ordered what would be best?
Any B550 or X570 boards. MSI Tomahawk's or Aorus Pro's of either chipset are the go to selections.

stated that there is no performance difference between the 2 types of boards.
No performance difference, but the 4 series boards are having to wait longer for compatibility with the 5000 cpu's. Most are saying Jan for the BIOS update.

Associate
@Temujin Where is it advised to get a 5 series motherboard i have a b450 aorus elite obviously 5 series are better but amd have stated that there is no performance difference between the 2 types of boards. I agree with upgrade on the b350 tho.

See posts above that the 400 series isn't supported until next year, at least for all features (or at all, i can't remember specifics)

Associate
I suspect an overclocked 5800X will be the best choice for games due to having only a single CCX and not having the penalty of crossing the infinity fabric. The 5900X will absolutely rule in multithreading and when compared at stock it might be faster in some scenarios due to being clocked higher. But if you're willing to overclock a bit and *only* care about games, then 5800X is probably the better choice. I do a decent amount of video encoding so I'm aiming for 5900X, but I'm not sure if that's the best choice if you only look for a gaming CPU.

Yes, and the windows scheduler will be aware of it. The problem is that games aren't aware of the architecture, and there's plenty of games which spawn 40+ threads on Windows, so the scheduler will just assign them wherever(they all belong to the same process, and there is more of them than there is cores, so they will just go wherever is free first), so in some cases you will be running into that penalty. Consoles in theory have the same problem, but on consoles you usually assign the core affinity manually by hand, so games get really optimized to avoid that problem.

As to how the 5850X will perform - probably very very well, except that having that many cores in one package it will run into thermal limits more easily. It's hard to say how much of a limiting factor this will be, if at all.

Windows scheduler is NUMA aware - so it does try to schedule threads from the same process onto the same physical core (CCX). This does work for Ryzen, it's just not as mature as say Linux NUMA scheduling. So of course with more threads than logical cores then absolutely it will move threads onto a different physical core under high load and this seems to happen more often on windows than on highly threaded Linux apps.

I expect this will improve over time in Windows.

Associate
Glad to hear there will actually be stock and that the 5800x seemingly has the least views and possibly the least demand as that's the one I want.

This could not have come at a much better time for me though as yesterday my 4790k finally gave up the ghost after having to underclock it for the last 2 years to keep my PC stable. So I'm without a PC and using my crap work laptop today and and tomorrow, I'll hopefully have me shiny new Zen 3 PC built in time for work on Monday morning.

Associate
Glad to hear there will actually be stock and that the 5800x seemingly has the least views and possibly the least demand as that's the one I want.

This could not have come at a much better time for me though as yesterday my 4790k finally gave up the ghost after having to underclock it for the last 2 years to keep my PC stable. So I'm without a PC and using my crap work laptop today and and tomorrow, I'll hopefully have me shiny new Zen 3 PC built in time for work on Monday morning.

I think the 5600x and 5900x will be the most popular and best value, especially if performance is relatively close. Probably works in favour of the 5800x as the stock levels for it will likely be worse than the others as it needs a complete CCX.

Soldato
Seems one (expensive) solution is to turn off one ccx on a 5950X lol, that way you can use the higher binned ccx with better thermals compared to the poorly binned 5800X.
Interesting. I guess the same is possible on a 5900X? Disable one CCX if this is possible in software / BIOS to only use 1 CCX with 6 cores. If games only require 6 cores or less then surely having both CCX and 12 cores will increase latency.

In a year or 2 then enable the other CCX for full 12 cores when games are better optimized for more cores

Associate
I think the 5600x and 5900x will be the most popular and best value, especially if performance is relatively close. Probably works in favour of the 5800x as the stock levels for it will likely be worse than the others as it needs a complete CCX.
One thing I don't have knowledge of, are the CCX packages all 8 core? e.g. the 5600x is 8 core with 2 worst performing ones disabled?

Back
Top Bottom