• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Soldato
I remember the 3950 being completely sold out for months after its launch.

Spoken by someone that obviously didn'n by one at launch, or going by your profile, didn't buy a 3950x at all.
As it happens, for those that don't remember, the 3950x was launched just before last Xmas. There was a lot of pre launch talk about price gouging on this very forum. Out of the blue @Gibbo said that OCUK would honor the RRP for anyone that ordered. OCUK held that promise and delivered mine just after Xmas.
As far as i recall, after that, once new stock came in, it was never out of stock.

Soldato
It absolutely will. Zen 2 was out of stock for months, and this time the demand is even greater & N7 supply is very limited as consoles, CPUs AND GPUs are all on the same node. TSMC can't keep up with this demand!

People thinking this won't be sold out within the minute are going to be very rudely surprised.

Someone that has used logic to realise what will happen for a fact. Also all thinking the prices are as stated are in for a rude wake up call too.. Go check what is happening already with the 3000 series pricing, it's started to creep up at even the retailers that had them on sale.

I see only one place at the moment with a 3950X at the sale price of £650. Rest that had them at that price have all gone over £700 now and there is one place selling 3950x and other 3000 series OEM cpus with bundles that basically gives you a almost free motherboard with it a x470 at the sale price of the 3950x, but remember that's a OEM CPU with one year warranty then and no game codes with it. I decided against it a few weeks back as didn't want a OEM 3950x as they may have pulled out the good chips from the bad chips and didn't want the motherboard they were adding into the bundle it was a MSI x470 and I wanted the Asrock Taichi x570 as I needed the 8 sata and 3 M.2's. Also didn't like the idea of a one year warranty on the CPU, but some of you maybe happy with that.. AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 4.7GHz Sixteen Core, MSI X470 GAMING PRO MAX Motherboard CPU Bundle for £670. That's the cheapest motherboard bundle and 3950X I could find there is no RAM though but easy enough to add or get elsewhere, but remember OEM CPU for sure so will have one year warranty and not the 3 year warranty.

I think most should go grab some of the 3000 series deals while they are about and wait till next year for the 5000 series cpu update when prices and stock are at sensible rates.

Soldato
Spoken by someone that obviously didn'n by one at launch, or going by your profile, didn't buy a 3950x at all.

And so what? I have eyes and ears. I do remember complaints about availability. The briefest of Googling turns up this Techradar article as the first result (of many) which says

The Ryzen 9 3950X is priced at $749 (£749, about AU$1,080), but availability since launch has been scarce.

and links to this article

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/a...verywhere-and-might-remain-so-for-a-long-time

which needs no elaboration.

Soldato
As it happens, for those that don't remember, the 3950x was launched just before last Xmas. There was a lot of pre launch talk about price gouging on this very forum. Out of the blue @Gibbo said that OCUK would honor the RRP for anyone that ordered. OCUK held that promise and delivered mine just after Xmas.
As far as i recall, after that, once new stock came in, it was never out of stock.

True regarding OCUK but they also were very short for a while and suddenly had lots, other retailers didn't get that lucky. Also this time round you have TSMC fully loaded with PS5 and XBSX orders and fully loaded with their 7nm capacity.. Look at the mess samsung has done for 3000 series RTX , the blame will soon fall on them too with chip shortages and why the real issue of no stock ..

I think we are all in for a rough ride with new products and best to grab what is available now at sensible prices that will do the job, yes you can't replace a ps5 or a rtx 3090 so will just have to wait but CPUS the 3000 series is great value at moment if you can find them at sale prices, even after the reality sinks in if you game over 1440p CPU will not matter but a better GPU will. So maybe good time to update from 1080p screens and update to a better system overall and not waste time or money on products that are low availability or gouged prices.. Time to maybe get a new motherboard, NVME storage and a nice new 1440p ultrawide or 4k screen and do that while waiting for stocks of the other parts and GPUS that we are all waiting for. CPUS right now are available at great prices and better get ready for motherboard shortages soon too if people are going to all want to jump on 5000 series the X570 and B550 boards will soon fly off the shelves too, so maybe concentrate on whats there and grab it before you will end up in another waiting game, also RAM will probably start creeping up in price too as demand grows with the new CPUS, so again maybe buy some RAM soon/now before all this happens ?

More to worry about than a cpu release that may turn out to be 10% better on a good day.. we will have to wait and see what the reality is, also the higher up you go you will realise the less it will be the so called gains in real world. So if you are after anything over 8 cores , maybe go grab a 3000 series deal while they are still about, especially the 3950X if you want 16 cores.

The 5950X has a lower base speed than the 3950x and yes I know the IPC gains and the 200mhz boost gain if you have good cooling and a chip and motherboard that plays ball.

So step back get off the hype train and think what do I use the pc for and tailor it to your current needs. Then start pricing up parts and then add in the new parts not released yet and see if the price difference is worth it for your needs.

Don't forget this part RAM and motherboards with x570 and B550 may soon start to shoot up in price and may even vanish from stock so be quick, people are already buying x570 boards like crazy since the release of AMDS 5000 series cpus other day, by November 5th your motherboard options maybe limited or gone up a lot in price and then retailers will raise 3600mhz RAM and AMD Ryzen approved ram to silly prices and that's if you find stock and you may end up having to buy more expensive ram kits and down clocking them to what your cpu likes .. so 4000mhz to 3600mhz or 3200mhz.

Retailers will soon cry RAM shortages again ;). So stock up on missing parts now.

Associate
What's a recommended motherboard for the 5950X for someone currently using a 10th gen core i9 / Asus Rog Maximus XII Formula?

Soldato
I really don't understand the differences in ram at all, why would i buy 3200 over 3600? do the timings make a difference in day to day/gaming use? I'm looking to buy the 5900x with an MSI MAG Tomahawk x570, which ram do i want in order to drop it in and get the best results? I'm not looking to overclock and mess with my chip etc at all, just want the best default performance.

Soldato
I really don't understand the differences in ram at all, why would i buy 3200 over 3600? do the timings make a difference in day to day/gaming use? I'm looking to buy the 5900x with an MSI MAG Tomahawk x570, which ram do i want in order to drop it in and get the best results? I'm not looking to overclock and mess with my chip etc at all, just want the best default performance.

Max performance below.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-001-8p.html

Soldato

Someone that has used logic to realise what will happen for a fact. Also all thinking the prices are as stated are in for a rude wake up call too.. Go check what is happening already with the 3000 series pricing, it's started to creep up at even the retailers that had them on sale.

I see only one place at the moment with a 3950X at the sale price of £650. Rest that had them at that price have all gone over £700 now and there is one place selling 3950x and other 3000 series OEM cpus with bundles that basically gives you a almost free motherboard with it a x470 at the sale price of the 3950x, but remember that's a OEM CPU with one year warranty then and no game codes with it. I decided against it a few weeks back as didn't want a OEM 3950x as they may have pulled out the good chips from the bad chips and didn't want the motherboard they were adding into the bundle it was a MSI x470 and I wanted the Asrock Taichi x570 as I needed the 8 sata and 3 M.2's. Also didn't like the idea of a one year warranty on the CPU, but some of you maybe happy with that.. AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 4.7GHz Sixteen Core, MSI X470 GAMING PRO MAX Motherboard CPU Bundle for £670. That's the cheapest motherboard bundle and 3950X I could find there is no RAM though but easy enough to add or get elsewhere, but remember OEM CPU for sure so will have one year warranty and not the 3 year warranty.

I think most should go grab some of the 3000 series deals while they are about and wait till next year for the 5000 series cpu update when prices and stock are at sensible rates.

I think you're right and when someone ask me I also recommend them Zen 2 instead. I think with Zen 2 it made sense to try and get one at/near launch if you could because the performance jump was so significant, but with Zen 3 it's more of a luxury jump meaning for gamers they'll be GPU bound before a Zen 2 will hold them back, so I'd rather tell someone to get a cheap Zen 2 which is a great CPU anyway, than try and get an overpriced Zen 3 CPU for a bit of a performance jump you might not even enjoy in games.

Now is really the best time to get one too, as you'll find many people selling theirs or discounted ones at retailers.

Associate
I agree with those saying demand will be high. If people are estimating demand over whether as a Zen 2 owner they should personally upgrade - understandably many might be reluctant - they're maybe missing the whole story. There's lot's of other pc builders who have machines of various ages out there. For me it's always about minimising buyer's remorse for the next 1-2 years because I can't be hassled with revamping my build every 18 months and selling the old stuff off.

What I mean is by that is I couldn't bring myself to buy Zen 2 this year knowing the Intel 10 series was faster for gaming, but equally I couldn't bring myself to buy Intel due to the lack of PCI 4 support - and this is going to be super important in 2021/22 with the new GPU IOs which are coming to basically eliminate loading times in supported games. Zen 3 ticks all the boxes, and yes it's a little pricier, but there's a lot of people who will be in a similar boat, on older Intel or AMD systems (6700k from 2016 in my case).

I don't think things will be as bad as the 3080 launch but similar to that, there will be a LOT of people who couldn't bring themselves to buy Turing because it was such a lacklustre improvement over Pascal who were desperate for Ampere after having their 1080s / 1080tis for 3-4 years.

Soldato
Thanks, but no thanks. I have a 3800x, and its not worth £429 for 20% improvement. I am pleased for AMD that they have beat Intel, but prices are too high. I paid £285 for my 3800x about a year ago (due to a cashback offer).

You can pick up a Ryzen 7 3900X for just under £400 (quite a bit under £400 actually having double checked!)...4 more cores...IPC gains may make up for the lack of cores but it’s an interesting dilemma.

Soldato

Soldato
Been planning to treat myself to an upgrade for a while & hanging on for the zen 3 release.
Not planning on buying till December/January so do you think there will be a new batch of motherboards released to go with the new CPUs?

Also, I'll be in the market for a waterblock, so do current blocks fit this or are new ones on the way?

Not used AMD cpus since the late 90s so a bit out of touch :D

Soldato

IIRC the first batch had 12 or so units and I was #2. There wasn't a restock for a short while afterward.

Associate
This was my first thought when I noticed no option to pre-order.

:p

This alone shows how much damage has been done to the reputation of OCUK following the 3080 mess... I'll be waiting to see if the 3900x drops by much, otherwise I see myself sticking with my 3600 for the foreseeable

Back
Top Bottom