• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Soldato
Buy before reviews because FOMO or wait until reviews and get scalped. About as anti-consumer as you can get tbh.

Thats exactly what FOMO is dude... Those people will insta buy because they fear missing out and having hardware lying around wasted.

Indeed. However thanks to AMD's pricing and the difference between the 5800x and 5900x am pretty much 100% going with the 5900x if can get one. The extra £90 seems a steal. Had it been the 5800x was at the £390 ish mark I probably would have got that instead and been fine for a good few years on 8 cores.

So no matter what reviews say between them the balance on price is that core I feel. The 16 core just that little too much to insta jump up and the 5800x a little too much to consider moving down. This also goes hand in hand with the 6800xt which seems like it is the best balanced in range too and doesn't feel like either CPU would give anything more with said GPU. Even with the 6900xt it seems like the 5900x would be the best fit.

Soldato
Not sure why if this product is so good they are withholding reviews right until release, you would think they'd want as much positivity you could have before they come out.

Soldato
Not sure why if this product is so good they are withholding reviews right until release, you would think they'd want as much positivity you could have before they come out.

Seems to be the new standard for all releases of PC hardware now and tbh I do get it. As people mention FOMO is huge for this and so they will sell regardless of reviews. Heck I am going to be dropping £510 on it without any real idea but with what seen I think I can glimmer enough of a jist. As above as well. They just priced it all so most will move to 5900x I feel if previously looking for 5800x because of the little price (relative) for the extra cores etc.

Associate

Could also be a hold-up on the software side where they want the reviewers to have the most up-to-date/performant release. These half-assed releases really are a pain though.

Soldato
Seems to be the new standard for all releases of PC hardware now and tbh I do get it. As people mention FOMO is huge for this and so they will sell regardless of reviews. Heck I am going to be dropping £510 on it without any real idea but with what seen I think I can glimmer enough of a jist. As above as well. They just priced it all so most will move to 5900x I feel if previously looking for 5800x because of the little price (relative) for the extra cores etc.
I was of the same thinking but the 5800X is 8 core 1 ccx. 5900X is 12 core 2 ccx (6 core 1 ccx, 6 core 1 cxx) Maybe 5800X for better latency if games start being created for use on 8 core 1 ccx, similar to PS5 CPU architecture allbeit PS5 is Zen 2, not Zen 3

Associate
I was of the same thinking but the 5800X is 8 core 1 ccx. 5900X is 12 core 2 ccx (6 core 1 ccx, 6 core 1 cxx) Maybe 5800X for better latency if games start being created for use on 8 core 1 ccx, similar to PS5 CPU architecture allbeit PS5 is Zen 2, not Zen 3
The difference is that games on consoles nearly always manually set core affinity on threads. So as a developer you know exactly which core cluster your code runs on, and it's a big part of the optimization process to make sure that there's as little cross-CCX communication as possible. That kind of thing is simply not done on PC, the thread affinity is left to the windows scheduler and the game itself is not aware of the actual architecture of the CPU. So just because games are written for consoles and their Zen architecture it doesn't mean that those optimizations will translate to PC performance.

Soldato
The gaming performance still seemed very good for the 5900x still beats a 10900k it seems. For me I could really only justify the 5950x if it was going to save me days of rendering time on a regular basis but I wouldn't be doing that much so 5900x will be more then plenty for me.

Soldato

Indeed it made me pause and it might be why AMD didn't show the 5800x in gaming because they didn't want to dilute their 5900x sales but honestly even then I think you'll get no worse performance. May just see if can get ahold of both and then return the one the one don't want after checking reviews.

Associate
What will the CXX differences between the 5800x and 5900x likely result in for 1% lows in gaming?

Youll presumably get higher clocks on the fast 5900x cores resulting in better performance on low thread games, but I'm mostly interested in the 1% lows in gaming as I'll be using a 1440p screen so I might just go for the 5800x and use the savings on a gpu.

Soldato
What will the CXX differences between the 5800x and 5900x likely result in for 1% lows in gaming?

Youll presumably get higher clocks on the fast 5900x cores resulting in better performance on low thread games, but I'm mostly interested in the 1% lows in gaming as I'll be using a 1440p screen so I might just go for the 5800x and use the savings on a gpu.
I don't think it will matter as the 3900X with 4 CCDs doesn't get worse 1% lows vs the 3800X with 2.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Someone over on r/amd said they called OcUK regarding an order and asked about Zen 5xxx stock. They're allegedly selling at 2pm and have 100 5950X's available.

Associate
The only major difference at release with be the yield. They'll likely have more 5600X and 5900X available as they don't rely on a complete 8 core unit.

Associate
Someone over on r/amd said they called OcUK regarding an order and asked about Zen 5xxx stock. They're allegedly selling at 2pm and have 100 5950X's available.
I love these random anecdotes. Literally all retailers are super tight lipped about this, no one confirms anything anywhere, but someone called and was told the exact stock number. That's......hard to believe :D But sure, this is not the first time someone said that specifically the 5950X stock will be super low.

Associate

Idea to get 5800X and better gpu is sound no matter what. 5800X is not going to be any worse than 5900X. Need to wait for reviews to know if it could be better in some cases

Back
Top Bottom