• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5600x, Precision boost, & temps

Associate
Firstly, setup:

Ryzen 5600x
Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm
Asus Strix x570
Lancool 2 mesh case

Recently built said system above. When running Cinebench R20:

Stock settings:
Average 4050mhz all cores
80c

PBO applied:
Average 4200mhz all cores
95c (hits thermal throttling)

Having had a look on Reddit there seems to be a lot of people experiencing the same. The only solution I can see so far is reducing the core voltage to 1.2v & core clock to 4.6Ghz, then everyone just seems to be hoping for a bios update

Associate
OP
Disabling DOCP and running my ram at stock speed actually increases my average boost clock and therefore R20 score.

What's going on here?!? Dodgy BIOS? I'm on the latest version.

Soldato
There are a few threads regarding these “phenomenons” you have described. No need to start a new one just click on the relevant threads.

it is all to do with PBO settings TDP and EDC etc

Caporegime
There are a few threads regarding these “phenomenons” you have described. No need to start a new one just click on the relevant threads.

it is all to do with PBO settings TDP and EDC etc
Yes, as said above if you dial back these settings a tad, you can keep temps in check and you barely lose any performance.

Associate
OP
I've seen threads regarding the 5800/5900x, but non for the 5600x.

Reviews have been showing R20 scores of 4400-4500, without PBO I only manage 3800 due to the 4050mhz boost limit @ 80c.

Everything seems too slow & too fast right now.

Caporegime
I've seen threads regarding the 5800/5900x, but non for the 5600x.

Reviews have been showing R20 scores of 4400-4500, without PBO I only manage 3800 due to the 4050mhz boost limit @ 80c.

Everything seems too slow & too fast right now.
Yes you would need to increase the values mentioned above to improve your score, as otherwise your cpu will only boost so far as it will be limited to staying within the default EDC, TDC and PPT values.

Associate
OP
PPT 125
TDC 105
EDC 120

All core boost maxes out @ 4.2Ghz, temps sit @ 95c, R20 score of 4000.

Reviewers have been getting 4500 R20 scores @ 80c. Not overly happy with this atm

Soldato
Try the curve optimiser, the default volts is too high for these chips as such they run hot and throttle, Im using -19 which stays below 1.35 volts and I get sustained all core 4.5 - 4.7ghz.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately my current motherboard bios doesn't appear to have the curve optimiser option, even when PBO is set to advanced.

I don't remember my Intel based system being this difficult.....

Associate
Unfortunately my current motherboard bios doesn't appear to have the curve optimiser option, even when PBO is set to advanced.

I don't remember my Intel based system being this difficult.....
Early days, don't worry same with 3000, I bought mine oct '19, loads of issues, spent weeks faffing, but now its rock solid platform with mature bios. Keep updating bios whenever you can, it will be sorted. Basically you are beta tester.

Associate
OP
Having read around I'm certainly not the only one to have these issues, dropping CPU voltage down to 1.2 in Ryzen Master doesn't really seem to alter the temps much. Guess I'll just crack on and hope its solved in a bios update.

I also need to remind myself that maxing out all cores is not indicative real world gaming use, I'll get my games installed and see what temps are like during real usage.

Associate
Having read around I'm certainly not the only one to have these issues, dropping CPU voltage down to 1.2 in Ryzen Master doesn't really seem to alter the temps much. Guess I'll just crack on and hope its solved in a bios update.

I also need to remind myself that maxing out all cores is not indicative real world gaming use, I'll get my games installed and see what temps are like during real usage.

Those temps are terrible though, I take it you have reseated cooler?

Associate
OP
I've fixed it. In Cinebench I'm now getting:

Stock:
Score 4000
All core boost 4300mhz
Temp 55c

PBO:
Score 4400
All core boost 4625mhz
Temp 78c

It's rather embarrassing, and testament as to why you shouldn't stay up until 1am building computers, but you know the plastic cover on the AIO faceplate that says "remove before use............" :rolleyes: :D

Caporegime
I've fixed it. In Cinebench I'm now getting:

Stock:
Score 4000
All core boost 4300mhz
Temp 55c

PBO:
Score 4400
All core boost 4625mhz
Temp 78c

It's rather embarrassing, and testament as to why you shouldn't stay up until 1am building computers, but you know the plastic cover on the AIO faceplate that says "remove before use............" :rolleyes: :D
You have brought shame upon us all. :p

Back
Top Bottom