Ryzen 5950X build advice - in particular for RAM

Associate
I am looking for some advice on a system spec and build plan – in particular RAM compatibility with Ryzen 5 and any other general advice on a proposed system spec.
I have only ever configured and built 1 PC before so apologies for the stupid questions! As you can appreciate with a build this expensive, I don’t want to make a silly mistake so thought it best to ask the experts first.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Andrew

Specific RAM questions:
I want to pair a 5950X on a ASUS ROG Strix X570-E with 64 GB of RAM – what are the best options?
• 64 GB kit vs 2 x 32 GB kits?
• Brand/model etc
• I see some RAM is advertised as AMD Ryzen optimised and some is not - even if it has the same timings etc. – is it best to avoid anything that doesn’t say it is Ryzen optimised or can you get away with something cheaper that has the same timings?

For example I can find 64 GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (CMW64GX4M4D3600C18) for £272 but this isn’t listed in the ASUS memory QVL whereas the VENGEANCE LPX 64GB (CMK64GX4M2D3600C18) for £270 is listed in the QVL but doesn’t say it is Ryzen optimised...

General system spec questions:

Looking over this proposed system spec below are there any mistakes/idiot choices/omissions etc. before I jump in with both feet?

How much real term performance increase is expected with a 6800 XT over a 6800 – is it worth the extra outlay to future proof a little or not? Also what advice can you give on which of the options to pick under each category?! I have previously used NVIDIA but want to have an all AMD build and it will avoid issues with NVIDIA on Linux also.

CPU - Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard - ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming
Graphics - RX 6800 or RX 6800 XT
PSU - Corsair HX850 or HX850i (depending on stock)
AIO Watercooler - Corsair H115i - exact model depends on stock
Case - Corsair 4000d
HDD - Generic fast HDD for storage
M.2 Drive(s) - 2x WG Black or Samsung 980 M.2 SSDs (1 for each OS)
RAM - VENGEANCE LPX 3600 MHz 64GB (2X32GB) CMK64GX4M2D3600C18

Background:
The system will be a workstation/gaming PC - the requirement for large number of cores and large RAM capacity come from the model simulations I need to run (currently on 8 threads taking about 4 weeks to run) but as thread ripper solutions are too expensive for my pocket I have settled on a 5950X build.
For supporting components I am not too fussed – in my proposed build I have specified ASUS and Corsair as these were what I have used on my previous build and it is still going strong 7-8 years later. Likewise I am not overly fussed for RGB support etc – plain sticks of RAM are just fine as this won’t be a show piece it will be tucked away under a desk.

Spend wise, to a point I am happy to invest in better components/things that will last longer but I don’t want it to run away totally – it does after all need to remain affordable and with some of the core system decisions e.g. CPU it is already an expensive build.

Thanks again.

Man of Honour
Hi

Dont worry about ryzen tuned ram if its on the qvl list then thats guaranteed compatibility but most memmory will work on the list or not.

I wouldn't rule out the new nvidia gpu's and would probably get whichever i could get first.

Workstation does your software use gpu acceleration if so that would leen me towards nvidia.

Back
Top Bottom