• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 6000 seires release date?

Soldato
Tempted to buy a 5900x (from my 3700x) mainly just because I want to buy something PC related.
But I'm wondering, as I don't "need" it. Am I better just waiting for 6000 cpus? Anyone know when they might be how good they might be? I can't find much info out there.

Associate
At Computex 2021 AMD’s Lisa Su showed a prototype Ryzen 5900X chip with the new 3D V-Cache tech showing an average 15% gains in 1080p gaming. This version should be the last one for the AM4 socket before AMD goes 5nm.
We should get around 96MB of cache per CCD, meaning a huge 192MB of L3 cache for a 12 or 16 core Ryzen "5000" CPU.
Production of these 3D V-Cache CPU's is supposed to start late this year.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...mb-of-l3-cache-per-chip-15-gaming-improvement

Last edited:
Associate
the new 3D chips are due around november being the last chips on socket am4

ryzen 6000 is due in early 2022, but its on socket am5 so you would also need a new mobo and new ddr5 memory

Associate
Production of these 3D V-Cache CPU's is supposed to start late this year.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...mb-of-l3-cache-per-chip-15-gaming-improvement
Lead time and time through all stages of manufacturing can take months though, so if they start manufacturing those by the end of the year they may not make retail until March 2022 or so.

Another unknown is how much this will add to the price. Certainly they will be more expensive to manufacturer and package but on the other hand 5000 series CPUs have decent margins; competitive reasons mighty mean that for x900 and x950 parts the price stays the same.

Zen4 DDR5 parts will eventually come too, but it looks like AMD are allowing Intel to launch consumer DDR5 first with Alder Lake.

Since initially DDR5 is likely to be on short supply, expensive and not really faster than DDR4 not hurrying to be first on DDR5 is probably a good idea.

Intel are anyways hedging their bets since Alder Lake will support both. AMD might do likewise and their CCD + IO chiplet approach would make that relatively easy.

No idea what it if Zen4 with DDR4 would look like. A final outing of AM4 would be nice, but it's probably wishful thinking.

Associate
Ye I bought a Ryzen 5900X recently but kinda was in a desperate situation as need another PC. Otherwise I would definitely hold for Ryzen 6000 + DDR5 compatability for future upgradability. I think AM4 socket is on it's way out. In a couple years time I'm gonna move my 5900X + Motherboard + DDR4 RAM into my old PC and get the equivilant DDR5 replacement, that's gonna cost me £800+ in upgrades in 2 years so it sucks.

Associate
the new 3D chips are due around november being the last chips on socket am4

ryzen 6000 is due in early 2022, but its on socket am5 so you would also need a new mobo and new ddr5 memory

Do we know what the 3D chips will be branded as? Just 5900X or will they have something to distinguish them like 5900X3D?

Soldato
The zen 3 refresh would make sense for those on zen + or zen 2 but if your on zen 3 already then best to wait for AM5.

Soldato
I think the main gains from Zen4 will come from increased core counts and increased APU performance. I can see a sizeable jump in APU’s
Well we need something to fill the space for budget Gpu buyers which AMD and Nvidia have abandoned.

Back
Top Bottom