• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ryzen 7 1700 still worth it?

Soldato
I think I'm right in saying your current CPU is a dual core, so yeah bumping up to an 8 core should help massively. Note you will need a GPU as Ryzen has no onboard graphics whatsoever.

Soldato
I would normally say it would help to know what sort of thing you use that PC for. However your current CPU is so low end I think you would notice the difference everywhere, even web browsing. I would suggest another stick of the same ram at the same time to let those extra cores breathe a bit. Or even better a couple of sticks of 3200 ram.

Just to give an idea, you are looking at over 10x the performance for multi-threaded work which would be an incredible upgrade for the price 1700's sell at 2nd hand.

Soldato
OP
I think I'm right in saying your current CPU is a dual core, so yeah bumping up to an 8 core should help massively. Note you will need a GPU as Ryzen has no onboard graphics whatsoever.
I would normally say it would help to know what sort of thing you use that PC for. However your current CPU is so low end I think you would notice the difference everywhere, even web browsing. I would suggest another stick of the same ram at the same time to let those extra cores breathe a bit. Or even better a couple of sticks of 3200 ram.

Just to give an idea, you are looking at over 10x the performance for multi-threaded work which would be an incredible upgrade for the price 1700's sell at 2nd hand.

thanks for replies.

oh yeah it will be a massive jump in performance over this APU, i only got it to update bios, just not been fee-sable to upgrade, however i dont want another 6 core as i sold my gaming system weeks ago, but i dont want a normal 4 core either and ive got use of a gtx 760 if need be as well. i was originally looking at the 3200g, but not for what i will be wanting to do though. i will likely get a 1700/1800 used given the current new prices.

the usage isnt gaming as i got my laptop if i bother, it will be more towards video editing practice, game creating, music production practice, web/graphic design, basically a productive like use while on lock-down.

Soldato
I use my 1700 for pretty much all of the above and it doesn't often break a sweat. Apparently music production can trip it up but I've not run into that for my fairly basic usage with Native Instruments etc. I also dual boot Linux for professional software development and it really shines there. It chews through stuff like compiling react native apps, docker, etc.

I've gone overkill on low latency ram but that doesn't affect productivity tasks much, only really gaming.

Soldato
I would look for a 1700x or 1800x as i don't think you can overclock on your a320 motherboard. My experience with a 1700 was that in core heavy workloads at stock it stuck close to its 3GHz base clock and there was a noticeable performance improvement when OCing it. The higher base clock speeds of the 1700x and 1800x would be worth having assuming that that they don't cost much more. On the other hand the VRMs on your motherboard don't look that good and may struggle with some of the higher TDP parts.

Back
Top Bottom