• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 7 1700 vs i7 7700k for gaming

Permabanned
Having just got a Ryzen cpu I have actually had very few issues. The only actual "issue" is I cant get the memory running faster than 2933. Hard to tell if this is a bios/board issue, a memory issue and/or my lack of knowledge about what to do.

Fairly happy with it however the gaming performance(benchmarks so far) seems at best on par with my 3570K @ 4.5. Though my testing is far from comprehensive and actually playing games works great. :)

I really need to go 1440p+ and upgrade my graphics next to reap some benefit I think.

Last edited:
Associate
Having just got a Ryzen cpu I have actually had very few issues. The only actual "issue" is I cant get the memory running faster than 2933. Hard to tell if this is a bios/board issue, a memory issue and/or my lack of knowledge about what to do.

Fairly happy with it however the gaming performance(benchmarks so far) seems at best on par with my 3570K @ 4.5. Though my testing is far from comprehensive and actually playing games works great. :)

I really need to go 1440p+ and upgrade my graphics next to reap some benefit I think.

What RAM, mobo and bios are you using?

Permabanned
Asus X370 prime pro, latest bios 0805
1700X
2 x 8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3466MHz (actually a 32 gig kit but just got 2 sticks)

Does boot at 3466 but not memtest stable so might be tweakable with the right knowledge.

Soldato
Didn't read the thread as from the title I can tell that the Ryzen army will claim wins in "many" games and dismiss any losing comparison more than a week old, asking for higher memory OC. Hopefully in the near future they can justify their purchase as new games keep optimising for multi-thread.

Soldato
Didn't read the thread as from the title I can tell that the Ryzen army will claim wins in "many" games and dismiss any losing comparison more than a week old, asking for higher memory OC. Hopefully in the near future they can justify their purchase as new games keep optimising for multi-thread.

Welcome to competition in the CPU market,and trying to justify your own purchases on forums won't help you dude. Be happy with what you have if it does the job you want!!

Soldato
From what I understand, people justify their own purchase to gain satisfactory and to prevent buyer's remorse :D

But I don't see any "Ryzen army" here,and the most I ever saw was some people getting quite over excited immediately after launch(happens with many launches)- heck even in the main Ryzen thread I pointed out in some games I play it does not do as well in,and I can't remember anyone having a go at me. I am still on a IB Core i7 in a mini-ITX system,and I am quite happy to wait things out to see how performance looks over the next six months or so.

You forget plenty of the people here have multiple rigs,ie,AMD and Intel ones or have changed over from an Intel one to a Ryzen one and have reported back on what they are seeing. Most seem happy,some don't.

You need to realise AMD had competitive offerings back to CPUs like the Athlon,Athlon XP,Athlon 64 and Phenom II,so not everytime was Intel the best purchase - the last 4 to 5 years have not been the normal way things have been in the CPU market since AMD had their P4 moment with Bulldozer.

Soldato
But I don't see any "Ryzen army" here,and the most I ever saw was some people getting quite over excited immediately after launch(happens with many launches)- heck even in the main Ryzen thread I pointed out in some games I play it does not do as well in,and I can't remember anyone having a go at me. I am still on a IB Core i7 in a mini-ITX system,and I am quite happy to wait things out to see how performance looks over the next six months or so.

You forget plenty of the people here have multiple rigs,ie,AMD and Intel ones or have changed over from an Intel one to a Ryzen one and have reported back on what they are seeing. Most seem happy,some don't.

You need to realise AMD had competitive offerings back to CPUs like the Athlon,Athlon XP,Athlon 64 and Phenom II,so not everytime was Intel the best purchase - the last 4 to 5 years have not been the normal way things have been in the CPU market since AMD had their P4 moment with Bulldozer.

Can't disagree. Good luck with Ryzen gaming benchmarks! :D

Soldato
Can't disagree. Good luck with Ryzen gaming benchmarks! :D

I will wait and see,I do want to see how Coffee Lake fares and also how the Ryzen APUs pan out too. Even looking at previous AMD launches it would not surprise me one bit if a better clocking stepping is out the next few months - it certainly happened with the Phenom II X4. I suppose that is the advantage of it being summer.

:p

Caporegime
That's not a good comparison. You don't buy a 7700k if you're not going to overclock it and clock speed is Kabylake's biggest advantage over Ryzen.

What because the 7700K isn't thrashing the Ryzen chip in games? anything that doesn't have Intel on top is not a good comparison, right?

Nothing at all wrong with that comparison, the 7700K overclocks by 15% while even the highest clocked Ryzen still overclocks by 10%, the one he used was a 170X which overclocks a little more than that, the added bonus with Ryzen is higher memory performance adds even more to its gaming performance.

Associate
What because the 7700K isn't thrashing the Ryzen chip in games? anything that doesn't have Intel on top is not a good comparison, right?

No, it's a bad benchmark because the setup skews the results in favour of Ryzen. Nobody should be comparing overclockable chips at stock, especially in the case of the 7700k where if you weren't going to OC you'd just buy the 7700. The entire point of that CPU is to overclock it. It's like saying "Hey look! If we make the 7700k slower than the 1700x it's slower than the 1700x! Amazing!".

Soldato
No, it's a bad benchmark because the setup skews the results in favour of Ryzen. Nobody should be comparing overclockable chips at stock, especially in the case of the 7700k where if you weren't going to OC you'd just buy the 7700. The entire point of that CPU is to overclock it. It's like saying "Hey look! If we make the 7700k slower than the 1700x it's slower than the 1700x! Amazing!".

The percentage of people that overclock are much lower than you think. People on these kind of forums are a minority.
How about the videos of 3.9ghz ryzen Vs the 5ghz 7700k? Are those skewed for ryzen too?

Back
Top Bottom