Ryzen and Liquid Metal RMA

Associate
Curiios, and might be a simple question, but can't seem to find a definitive answer on Google of all places.

I've been using LM for donkey years but never had any issues so no need to RMA chips etc.

If i used LM on my 5800x, is the CPU still RMA'able should anything happen? Bear in mind this question is based on once/if the text is stained on the chip and is faintly visible.

I have a syringe of Conductanaught i use on my delidded 4770K. Knowing it works wonders on delidded CPU, i take it the difference in temps are not worth it on applying LM on the IHS of an AMD CPU compared with say using Kryonaught?

Associate
AMD have a wall of pictures on their RMA page of IHS, pretty much any marking, staining, rubbing etc voids warranty. I'd say it's not worth the effort to shave a couple of degrees off. It's not the same as dropping 15-20deg off a hot 4770k.

Permabanned
Due to him being a n00b, it is not to go near Aluminium.

I used it on my 4970k's Die>IHS>Noctua D15S to get 5GHZ.

Also used it on my Titan Xp (2017) to get 2.1GHz Core same as my 1080Ti could as the uncut/full fat chip runs hotter and hits the power limit all the time but this lowers as you get its to run cooler so you gain back some headroom.

I used Liquid Tape to cover SMD's but Thermal Grizzly now do stuff to clean up/prep and paint on SMD's.

Associate
OP
haha yeah i briefly skimmed that thread and thought what a nonse.

Guess i'll stick with the trusty Kryonaught then.

Does Conductonaut have a shelf life like the other thermal pastes? I typically use it once on a machine and forget about it (never had the need to repaste) so seems to be a shame to waste it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
And another side note... do people still use thermal paste and thermal pads together on GPU vrm's.. or is it the norm just to whack thermal pads on and thermal paste on the die with a GPU block?

Back
Top Bottom