• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen console i've been wishing for

Soldato
Was so close to seriously giving the idea of crowd funding a Ryzen 2400 SOC console , using AMD highest tiered embedded chip...

Loved the idea of Smach Z but was using lower powered APU and slower 2400hz ram...

but seems AMD have gone and done my dream

same power as Sony PS4 PRRO

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/sy...tom_high-performance_ryzen_vega_soc_console/1

also doubles as a cross over for next gen consoles ...

Last edited:
Soldato
But intel have done this already with AMD in their intel Hades Canyon NUC which has the VEGA M GPU in there, which is little slower than gtx 1060 which is more powerful than gfx card in the PS4 PRO which is roughly in between a RX 470-RX480

This chines console/PC is priced at appx £550 which is not bad i suspect you could build a full pc with better specs for that price, Just about.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
But intel have done this already with AMD in their intel Hades Canyon NUC which has the VEGA M GPU in there, which is little slower than gtx 1060 which is more powerful than gfx card in the PS4 PRO which is roughly in between a RX 470-RX480

This chines console/PC is priced at appx £550 which is not bad i suspect you could build a full pc with better specs for that price, Just about.

ah yes..intels one. based on their older gen cpus and costing £900 bare bones :(

Soldato
OP
What's specially good about it.

Consoles make money by being locked down.

should get PCs into a much larger market- increase amd Market Share and revenue . For console owners show what next gen systems could be like .

specially when GPUs are increasing in price to insane levels - increase in youngsters wanting to get into PC gaming because of fortnite etc- will help it a lot .

good to see amd pushing the boot. just really hopes Smach Z handheld would have been this powerful!

Soldato
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1315...zen-soc-with-24-vega-cus-for-chinese-consoles

Few more pics in this one. It is slightly faster than the PS4 Pro, slightly slower than the Xbox One X but more expensive than both and depending on what they do with the W10 version depends on the other functionality.

Doesn't have any word on HDR, BluRay and similar and at moment am struggling to understand what this really wants to do.

Games are not going to be optimised for it like console games are and thus it really isn't going to be able to compete accordingly.

Soldato
OP
So if this just matches a current console which isn't as fast as its main competitor why is this your dream?
Yet more good news for AMD regardless. Wow, they are on a roll.

to have a PC the size of my palm and not have to worry about kids putting stuff into cases haha

plus, never of been done. this is what SteamBox should have been

Soldato
BTW,if you look at the specs,this probably has 1536 shaders but clocked at 1.3GHZ - the PS4 PRO has 2304 shaders clocked at 911MHZ so the GPU is probably close to it,and the CPU is much faster on the new console too.

More money in AMD's coffers, more R&D, just what we all want :)

Edit 4,998 Yuan = £560

A bit pricey.

AFAIK,consoles were banned in the Chinese market for years. I can't remember if you can even buy a PS4 PRO or XBox One X there currently.

Soldato
OP
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1315...zen-soc-with-24-vega-cus-for-chinese-consoles

Few more pics in this one. It is slightly faster than the PS4 Pro, slightly slower than the Xbox One X but more expensive than both and depending on what they do with the W10 version depends on the other functionality.

Doesn't have any word on HDR, BluRay and similar and at moment am struggling to understand what this really wants to do.

Games are not going to be optimised for it like console games are and thus it really isn't going to be able to compete accordingly.

BTW,if you look at the specs,this probably has 1536 shaders but clocked at 1.3GHZ - the PS4 PRO has 2304 shaders clocked at 911MHZ so the GPU is probably close to it,and the CPU is much faster on the new console too.

wondering if Vega 24 would handle 4k better then Polaris 36 just due to GPU design ... mmm

think if you stuck that in PC World with fornite running - kids would be asking their parents to bu it hands down - just for looks and the fact its cheaper and not huge like a desktop

Soldato
Compared to console, not likely because games just are not optimised to the level they can be for a closed ecosystem unless they start doing a specific optimisation for this machine spec.

Soldato
wondering if Vega 24 would handle 4k better then Polaris 36 just due to GPU design ... mmm

think if you stuck that in PC World with fornite running - kids would be asking their parents to bu it hands down - just for looks and the fact its cheaper and not huge like a desktop

Looking at the number of shaders I suspect this might be the same chip as the Vega M but for use with GDDR5.

Compared to console, not likely because games just are not optimised to the level they can be for a closed ecosystem unless they start doing a specific optimisation for this machine spec.

There is both a PC being released with this chip and a console if you look at the AT article.

Soldato
Looking at the number of shaders I suspect this might be the same chip as the Vega M but for use with GDDR5.

There is both a PC being released with this chip and a console if you look at the AT article.

From how I was reading the info it is reading more like a locked down PC that cannot be upgraded with a custom version of W10 to allow gaming but not a lot else but it will be PC games that it is running, not their own release version of a game like MS, Sony & Nintendo get for their consoles. But that is just going of the info. A bit more like the Steam Console than Xbox/Playstation anyways.

Soldato
OP
if they can get the price right- console appeal with desktop abilities (just read the above- depending on how locked down)

had this been made by asus or Gigabyte - specially now they have their fingers in ram and storage - could have driven the price even cheaper . Missed a Ryzen Brix right there

Soldato
From how I was reading the info it is reading more like a locked down PC that cannot be upgraded with a custom version of W10 to allow gaming but not a lot else but it will be PC games that it is running, not their own release version of a game like MS, Sony & Nintendo get for their consoles. But that is just going of the info. A bit more like the Steam Console than Xbox/Playstation anyways.

Actually I was wrong about the chip. This isn't a version of the chip AMD made for Intel.

It's a another 1536 GPU as it has FP16.

However,£560 is not too bad for a prebuilt gamer PC though of this spec especially if China costs more for gaming PCs in general.

Soldato
OP
Actually I was wrong about the chip. This isn't a version of the chip AMD made for Intel.

It's a another 1536 GPU as it has FP16.

However,£560 is not too bad for a prebuilt gamer PC though of this spec especially if China costs more for gaming PCs in general.

if it catches on .... think it'll head west pretty quickly

Back
Top Bottom