Ryzen Gaming (and some video editing) upgrade build

Associate
Current rig as per signature.

I am looking to get something newer based around Ryzen 2700x on a top spec 470 board.

16GB RAM (not sure what speed is necessary)
M2 SSD for OS (I guess 250GB+)
Will reuse existing 3 storage HDDs, case, PSU, 5GHz Wifi card and 1080.

I will probably OC it a bit, but i'm not chasing records.

I want something to last me a few years like my current trusty x58. What a buy that was!:cool:

Price is not the major driver, but don't want to waste cash. Not overly bothered by physical board colours etc.

What are the OcUK suggested options?

Thanks in advance. :)

Associate
OP
NICE Options. Thanks tamzzy.

I have to admit that Intel option is calling me! My x58 system has been a legendary buy. But I fancy a change and those extra cores will be handy on occasion.

Hovering over the buy button! :D

Man of Honour
in my humble opinion, the ryzen is a better buy.
if i was upgrading my computer...it's what i'd go for.

just to quote myself from a different thread:
depends on what you're going to do with the computer.

for pure gaming at 1080p then obvs 8700k is better
for pure gaming at 1440p/4k, it's a toss up
mixed workloads/streaming, it's a toss up (photoshop still prefers intel though)
for productivity, in general, 2700x
for longevity, 2700x
price/performance ratio, 2700x

Soldato
Maybe something like this would do you - though a little bit more would probably get you the 8 core threadripper....

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £804.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
Shame the mobo is out of stock. :(

Few places have it but has flown off the shelves ! And at £125 compared to the £185 Strix.. wow even the Aorus 5 is cheaper and includes WiFi which the Strix doesn't.

unfortunately.
for £125, a good price for a x470 board, in truth.
i expected a price premium going from x370 to x470, but there isn't. can only be good for the consumer

Surprisingly most x470 have come out cheaper... But since they sold through the first batch I've noticed price increase... Ultra was £119 at pre-order then £125 when in stock which sold out on first day, and not Aorus 5 has creeped up £10/15 odd.

Will be like GPU , if not depends then supply.. x470 could push boards higher then z3z0 :(

Shame its gone up £10, but Aorus 5..
Know you have WiFi card but not sure if it's the latest AC standard ?

Total: £710.38 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hovering over this.

Current WiFi is ok (802.11n). WiFi card is not too old and seems nippy enough. Would the newer WiFi make any difference (using a new BT infinity hub)?

Total: £813.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
Hovering over this.

Current WiFi is ok (802.11n). WiFi card is not too old and seems nippy enough. Would the newer WiFi make any difference (using a new BT infinity hub)?

Shouldn't do - the limiting factor in that scenario is the BT line - not the WiFi in your home, if it does prove to be a problem you can pickup one of the newer AC spec adaptors in either PCIE or USB for peanuts should you need it.

Soldato
Transfer speeds from N to AC is quite different !
Also the home Hub 6 is a beast and a good step up from the 5

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...2-11n-wifi-whats-the-difference/#2d01de943957

nice graphic you can select different bands and distances to see the difference in performance - not sure how far away your PC is . Also the wifi unit is Intel so less causes for issue with drivers and windows

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/wifi-routers/bt-home-hub-5-review-11-ac-router-3489762/

Have the HB6 and set 2.5 and 5 channels separate , all computers and phones on the 5 band as baby monitors use the 2.5 band :D

If your doing a lot of video editing then NVMe is worth it, if not waste compared to getting larger SSD

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have the new all black BT Hub 6 (only 5 months old) so i guess a top spec WiFi board is a wise choice. The BT Hub is down one floor but not very far from the PC. Signal strength on 5Ghz is good.

Aorus Gaming 5 WiFi is now out of stock though. :mad:

Only x470 with WiFi in stock is super expensive. Is the CH7 worth the premium? The build is starting to look pricey. I don't mind getting that option IF its worthwhile. The Aorus 5 was ~£100 cheaper.

I have gone back to the SATA drive as i don't do that much video editing and it'll be nice to have a larger drive...

Total: £894.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
not going to lie, that Hero board is a beast - I use to build a lot of asus rog builds. the board is damn good but the price is eye watering, speciall next to Aorus 7 which is it's rival

as for if you really need AC over N for the extra £100 - up to your view point of how much you use the internet and what for

both boards will clock the same on the core , and once BIOS for both asus and gigabte mature should hit 3800hz on ram if youve got a goof CPU.
just a shame the havent dont a strix with wifi like intel boards to cuts costs down

if you were gunning for one of the best X470 boards to smash the most FPS you could then yeah, would say Hero is a damn good choice! cant lie on that part

Man of Honour
Only x470 with WiFi in stock is super expensive.
why not get an pcie adapter card for wifi?

Is the CH7 worth the premium?
not really - unless for the epeen

I have gone back to the SATA drive as i don't do that much video editing and it'll be nice to have a larger drive...
unless you're going for the teamgroup ssd, ocuk's ssd range is pretty pricey. can get the 850/860/mx500 for much cheaper if you search around

Associate
OP
This is now in the basket due to price changes on the RAM side and going to get the SSD elsewhere. This ram seems a better choice cost wise.

One last question: How bad is the supplied AMD air cooler? Worth an upgrade to an AIO water cooler or upgraded air cooler? I will be aiming for 4GHz across all cores which is a pretty mild speed with hopefully lowish volts / heat. If so what is recommended?

Cheers

Total: £746.96 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
damn, £100 more expensive ouch , tried even looking at msi and they are still costly

aorus vs hero

Support for 11ac 160MHz wireless standard and up to 1.73 Gbps data rate Vs
2x2 Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac supports dual frequency band 2.4 / 5 GHz
Up to 867 Mbps transfer speed

Possible shout adding with the Cheaper strix board. Honestly thought Hero would have had better Wifi
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...-wireless-ac1900-pci-e-adaptor-nw-078-as.html

Seems BT Hub shares same Wave2 wifi tech are Aorus board
  • Intel® 802.11ac Wave2 2T2R WIFI & BT 5
http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/bt-smart-hub

Smart Hub features an upgraded version of 802.11ac called Wave 2
Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/bt-smart-hub#LtPZ1vM6DBuwUD0H.99

If your going for a mobo to go with the Smart Hub- hard to swallow that extra cost personally

I dont think the air cooler is that bad but if you want to push hard then its always worth going aftermarket

Man of Honour
How bad is the supplied AMD air cooler? Worth an upgrade to an AIO water cooler or upgraded air cooler?
Stock cooler is very good. I'd suggest you try it first, and then if you're not happy with the temps then to buy an aftermarket one.

Back
Top Bottom