Ryzen Motherboards, Corsair Vengence memory, QVL

Associate
I am working on my first Ryzen (3900X) build on a X570 Aorus Elite motherboard. I want to use Corsair Vengence memory, so checked the QVL here:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-aorus-elite_picasso.pdf

There only seem to be three choices:

CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16 ver3.31
CMW32GX4M4C3000C15 ver5.32
CMW64GX4M8C3000C15 ver5.32

Bizarrely, the third option seems to be 8 sticks of 8GB each and the Aorus Elite has only 4 memory sockets! My question is, how seriously should I take the QVL? Is any DDR4 set likely to be OK in practice? If the recommendation is to stick to the list, how can I be confident when it is clearly wrong about at least one of the three options? Is the version number important as I have never seen that listed by a retailer?

Soldato
There are better responses to this elsewhere.

But in short... Just buy some DDR4 ram from a reputable vendor that runs around 3600.

Mobo companies can't test all the RAM. Not practical.

Associate
OP
3600MHz? All the qualified modules range from 2133 to 3200. For further confusion, the printed manual states support for DDR4 3200/2933/2667/2400/2133 MHz while the QVL also has some 3000/2800/2666 modules (and no 2667).

I have good reason to be cautious here - the original attempted build used sticks from the QVL and was unstable until two BIOS releases later, both of which stated 'improve memory compatibility' in the release notes.

The QVL does claim to have tested several hundred models, but without the list of modules that failed it is difficult to judge the risk of using a module NOT on the list. Puzzled as to why they take this approach rather than a published specification like other component types.

Soldato
There are lots of variables out of their control and mobo manufacturers don't want any RMAs based on RAM compatibility issues. Infrequent as they are, they are enough to push returns rates beyond acceptable limits.

If you have the elite then the ram you mentioned, and the teamgroup 8pack all work.

I appreciate your hesitation, but it'll be fine.

Associate
OP
Thanks for advice - basically I should be OK with ANY of the many Corsair CMW... sets sold by Overclockers EXCEPT for the 8-stick CMW256GX4M8E3200C16 since the MB only has four sockets?

It would make more sense for MB makers to operate a black-list. Just monitor RMAs, test any modules reported by customers as NOT working and either fix them in a BIOS revision or add them to the black-list. Thereafter refuse RMAs for memory on the black-list.

Back
Top Bottom