Ryzen PC crashed now board won't power up.

Associate
Hi,

I purchased an R7 1700, Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 and PSU and SSD on Friday and seemingly install went fine and had windows 10 running on saturday afternoon. I got home from work today turned on and was using the system briefly until it crashed to a black screen, and now no matter what I try, it will not boot and the motherboard doesn't appear to be receiving any power.

Can anyone help?

Associate
First thing to check:

Open up your case, power off the PSU and wait a bit to drain all power from the board, then power it back on and press the power button.

Do the fans all spin (well 'wobble') for 1/4 of a second?

Associate
OP
Have since taken it out of the case to try and diagnose further but at work now so will be trying later this evening. The PSU is a SX600G (SFF) and I have another of the exact same PSU in my other system. I am planning on swapping over the PSUs to check that but I am already fairly confident it is the motherboard as previously on boot the LEDs on the mobo would flash on. I have posted in customer service and arranged an rma for the motherboard which I will go through with as soon as I can rule out the PSU. I'm just hoping the R7 1700 is still working fine!

Soldato
Have since taken it out of the case to try and diagnose further but at work now so will be trying later this evening. The PSU is a SX600G (SFF) and I have another of the exact same PSU in my other system. I am planning on swapping over the PSUs to check that but I am already fairly confident it is the motherboard as previously on boot the LEDs on the mobo would flash on. I have posted in customer service and arranged an rma for the motherboard which I will go through with as soon as I can rule out the PSU. I'm just hoping the R7 1700 is still working fine!

CPU being dead is rather low on the list although it does happen.

Associate
OP
Well bit of an update for you, sat in front of the rugby all day saturday with every spare component I had and the ryzen pc on the coffee table. Ran with 1*4gb 2400mhz ddr4 and swapped out the PSU to my other perfectly working SX600G... No power, no LEDS nothing. Then took the 7950 out and used an old radeon 5450 passive card I had lying around... again nothing.

So, switched power supply to a cheapy 450w unit that I borrowed from a mate as I made him upgrade to an EVGA PSU a couple of years back. Running this old PSU with the radeon 5450 and 1 stick of ram seemingly worked. Motherboard booted without any issues and did a few runs of cinebench and seemed stable enough. Then did various different reboots with different hardware and late on saturday got back to my 7950 working with 2x8gb ddr4 and my newly purchased SX600G.

I am clueless as to why the mobo decided it wasn't going to power up for a week, and changing gpu ram and psu didn't fix it at first, but I have since moved one of the RX480s from my main PC into this one to replace the 7950 as it was struggling, and have played 6 or so hours of GTA V this weekend and it is rock solid. I have even looked at ryzen master now and can run 3.8ghz on the 1700 without any issue but looks like 3.9 is a more or less instant crash on my current F2 (AB350M Gaming 3) bios.

Associate
OP
all I think think of is a short somewhere. no idea how but with all the component changes happened to free up.

In which case it took its time :D and the entire time of component swapping it was sat on my mobo box. So far the only problem I have is if I bench at 3.9ghz it crashes whereas I can just about game at 3.9 without crashing (like 10% chance of crashing so far) on stock cooler doesn't go north of 60 celcius according to ryzen master, this is mainly playing overwatch.

Now have memory set to 2666 and all cores at 3.75ghz and it is rock solid.

Associate
OP
I'm having the same problem. But the atx version of the board. Shut down last night and just won't power on this morning.

All I can really suggest is trying every possible combination of components. I got absolutely nothing out of mine even when changing gpu, ram, psu and reseating cooler then changed the psu again and it miraculously worked. Probably not what you want to hear but my ab350m board was completely out of action for 2 days before it powered up again, no idea why but it hasn't had any issues since.

Soldato
Guys with Gigabyte boards getting any Power Up issues, are you able to state what RAM model/brand/speed your using ? Seems it'll Help track down any issues, and its believed to be cause by the RAM , also seems its happening to other vendors as well.

Should help Reps get the problems solved and logged

Associate
Guys with Gigabyte boards getting any Power Up issues, are you able to state what RAM model/brand/speed your using ? Seems it'll Help track down any issues, and its believed to be cause by the RAM , also seems its happening to other vendors as well.

Should help Reps get the problems solved and logged

Geil Evo X 3000 couldn't power up at for hours.

Module Manufacturer: GeIL
Module Part Number: CL15-17-17 D4-3000

Associate
I have an GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 which wouldn't do anything when pressing the power button. After removing the battery and putting it back it, it worked again.

Associate
GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 here that I'm trouble shooting. Powers up, but diagnostic LEDs get to CPU then the memory one flashes once every few seconds. Sometimes it will do that a few times and then power down on its own, then back on and do the same thing.

I thought I fixed it by going down to one memory stick. And then clearing the CMOS but now I've done that again and tried both sticks separately I can't boot up at all. Same LED sequence.

Ryzen 1600x
Team Group Dark Pro (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15
3000MHz
F10 BIOS for motherboard

Soldato
Hmm this is a worrying trend. My expensive Threadripper 1920X system with Gigabyte motherboard failed almost 3 weeks ago frying a now mega expensive GTX1070 (which had about 10 hours use on it). As of this evening I am still waiting for it to be either repaired or replaced.

Last edited:
Soldato
This not turning on again problem, or "soft brick" as it's known on the Gigabyte forums, is a fairly common problem with Gigabyte Ryzen motherboards (don't know if it's exclusive to them, but when I hear about it the user tends to have Gigabyte). Taking the CMOS battery out for a bit and putting it back in fixes it in most cases. Are you all using the latest BIOS? I would have thought that Gigabyte would have fixed it by now.

Associate
Hello all,

I am currently dealing with your cases and will get back to you ASAP.

NutritioN, we are obviously dealing with your potential board issue in the other thread so I will continue to reply to you there.

AWPC, you messaged me directly and I have been dealing with your direct message to me. You sent the X399 board back to OCUK and they have now sent it to us, we got it on Tuesday and the unit has already been swapped for a new unit and returned to OCUK. They should be sending it back to you, we are testing your failed board to understand why it failed. In regards to the 1070 VGA card, OCUK have confirmed to me it has been returned to the other company who made it and they are dealing with that RMA.

Thanks all.

Associate
This not turning on again problem, or "soft brick" as it's known on the Gigabyte forums, is a fairly common problem with Gigabyte Ryzen motherboards (don't know if it's exclusive to them, but when I hear about it the user tends to have Gigabyte). Taking the CMOS battery out for a bit and putting it back in fixes it in most cases. Are you all using the latest BIOS? I would have thought that Gigabyte would have fixed it by now.

Can you show me the forum posts, these are not issues I am personally aware of so will make sure to highlight it to HQ.

Back
Top Bottom