Ryzen PC crashed now board won't power up.

Soldato
AWPC, you messaged me directly and I have been dealing with your direct message to me. You sent the X399 board back to OCUK and they have now sent it to us, we got it on Tuesday and the unit has already been swapped for a new unit and returned to OCUK. They should be sending it back to you, we are testing your failed board to understand why it failed. In regards to the 1070 VGA card, OCUK have confirmed to me it has been returned to the other company who made it and they are dealing with that RMA.

Thanks all.
Thanks for replying & agreeing to replace for a new motherboard but not being funny I sent this back almost 3 weeks ago & got an email from OCUK on 10th Jan saying it had been sent back to you then. Are you saying you only just received this on Tuesday 23rd & it took 13 days to reach you?

I still love this motherboard design I think its the best I ever owned & despite the long delay I have not soured yet on Gigabyte (I still have 3 X Gigabyte motherboards in daily use in other systems which have been reliable for many years) but I think you will agree its a concern if you do not know what caused the failure. I only used the PC for light PC gaming, web browsing & watching movies its not like I stressed it much at all and my PSU is a very high end Seasonic 1050W as are all my other components.

Last edited:
Soldato
@AWPC
It's common for many resellers to take a bit of time to send a board off for RMA.
Time to test it themselves on different hardware configuration , but also Clare any back log from other RMA .
3 days can also be lost if board is sent to vendor on a Saturday and won't be signed for by Monday . Least RMA center is in England so easy to stick to 28 days from RMA received date as not being sent to EU or HK.
Normally take 3/4 days for RMA if like some of us you sent direct to Gigabyte which does cost a pretty bit :(

Think MSI GPU RMA is in NL . Only thing i can think of to take a card out from the Mobo is over boot from PCIe lane. Hopefully board testing my highlight anything . As unless MSI tell ocuk their fault find you'll never know as MSI won't deal directly with you .
Manage to take down serial number of the card ? Should help see if it's a repaired or replaced model :)

Associate
Hello AWPC,

I have worked with the team at OCUK for a long time and their customer support has always been exceptional. I have discussed the matter with my RMA team and because I had already highlighted your case to them they dealt with the return from OCUK as top priority.
In regards to your failed board and our choice to replace it, let me explain. We actually chose to treat your case as DOA, our procedure for this is to automatically replace the board for another unit. The OCUK team have also confirmed they had already arranged to send a brand new unit to you from their stock so you were not kept waiting and believe they will reply shortly.
We have finished testing the motherboard you sent back to us, the unit has been found to have no fault with it. I can of course, if you wish provide you a video of the board working, clearly showing the serial number and also provide our test documents.
In regards to the 1070 VGA card, as the motherboard has been found to have no fault. We have come to the conclusion that the problem with the 1070 is not related to our motherboard. I'm really happy that you like our products so much and hope you will continue to do so. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Hello AWPC and GIGA-Man

Yes we have replaced it with a brand new one out of our stock for you this morning.

Thank you Gigabyte for your support on this case swapping it with a brand new one for us.

We will await the video you post

Thanks

Bailey

Soldato
Can you show me the forum posts, these are not issues I am personally aware of so will make sure to highlight it to HQ.
See: http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1321/soft-brick
http://forum.gigabyte.us/board/37/am4?q=Soft+brick
http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1540/soft-brick-boot-issue
and http://www.overclock.net/forum/11-a...-soft-brick-issue-after-putting-pc-sleep.html

According to some on the forum it's an AMI (American Megatrends) bug rather than solely Gigabyte's fault, so if true, any manufacturer using AMI code as a base for their BIOS should be affected. I'm not sure if this is fixed now, I hope it is.

By the way, I'm extremely happy with my Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion board and I've always found Gigabyte to be reliable, unlike Asus which I have had very bad luck with. Your X470 board that you showed off at CES looks amazing too, a proper heatsink at last!

Associate
Yeah, I'm looking forward to when that new X470 board arrives too. Honestly, I was surprised PC Gamer Network got such a detailed look at the VRM and heat sink design....

Thanks so much for the links, I'll look into this and have a chat with HQ ASAP.

Soldato
Yeah, I'm looking forward to when that new X470 board arrives too. Honestly, I was surprised PC Gamer Network got such a detailed look at the VRM and heat sink design....

Thanks so much for the links, I'll look into this and have a chat with HQ ASAP.

Clever marketing or staff hitting the slots ....

@ltron it's a shame x299 soc wasn't released to public

Soldato
Hello AWPC,

I have worked with the team at OCUK for a long time and their customer support has always been exceptional. I have discussed the matter with my RMA team and because I had already highlighted your case to them they dealt with the return from OCUK as top priority.
In regards to your failed board and our choice to replace it, let me explain. We actually chose to treat your case as DOA, our procedure for this is to automatically replace the board for another unit. The OCUK team have also confirmed they had already arranged to send a brand new unit to you from their stock so you were not kept waiting and believe they will reply shortly.
We have finished testing the motherboard you sent back to us, the unit has been found to have no fault with it. I can of course, if you wish provide you a video of the board working, clearly showing the serial number and also provide our test documents.
In regards to the 1070 VGA card, as the motherboard has been found to have no fault. We have come to the conclusion that the problem with the 1070 is not related to our motherboard. I'm really happy that you like our products so much and hope you will continue to do so. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Hello GIGA-Man, Thank you for your reply & Bailey@ OCUK for agreeing to send me the new unit.

I still think the RMA X399 might have an intermittent fault or corrupt Bios as its the only logical explanation. The last thing I did a few days before it died of note was download and install the following 2 apps from your website via the updater app within Windows 10. After this on the first reboot it did not seem to be responsive within Windows 10 so I restarted again then it settled down & was ok for a few days before suddenly failing on me.
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_appcenter_B17.1226.1.zip
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_rgb-fusion_B18.0104.1.zip

I still love this motherboard I think its brilliant & the best model I have ever owned but it concerns me that I had this failure when I was only using it for basic tasks like web browsing or light PC gaming. Once again thank you for agreeing to send me a new unit.

Last edited:
Soldato
New GPU can die at anytime , why you have 2/3 year warranty on it. Everyones reviewed a dead card or dead within the first month on here. Luck of the draw and out of human hands .

Even with Polaris 480 drawing heavy volts through PCIe it normally kills the Mobo not the card

Be interesting to see what MSI say, if they actually send you personally any details on the failure or ocuk

Soldato
@ GIGA-Man & Bailey thanks for the new replacement board it arrived today as is working flawlessly. I have some feedback for you as well.

1: The RMA motherboard on 1st power on made the GPU fans start at 100%. This new one did not.
2: The CPU retention bracket assembly on the replacement board was very easy to tighten. The RMA one was very hard to tighten.

Still waiting for your testing documents as I want to understand what on earth caused the GPU failure if you say there is nothing wrong with the RMA as I am still waiting for MSI to provide feedback or repair/replace.

Thanks for all your help so far I still love this motherboard it looks great but more importantly enables the 1920X to really shine :)

Associate
Hello AWPC,

I have all the test results from the RMA team, we left your old board running over night on a constant burn test. I have your personal e-mail address so will send the video links and full test results there for you. I hope the new board is up and running well.

If I can do anything else for you let me know.

Soldato
Hello AWPC,

I have all the test results from the RMA team, we left your old board running over night on a constant burn test. I have your personal e-mail address so will send the video links and full test results there for you. I hope the new board is up and running well.

If I can do anything else for you let me know.
Thanks very much for taking the time to send the video & test results. The new board is running flawlessly.

As I said earlier this apparent failure issue seemed to happen a few days after I used the Gigabyte App to update the App & the Fusion RGB software.

Thanks again for sending the new unit it works perfectly & its the best motherboard I have ever owned on any socket :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had the 1st occasion where the motherboard powered on & the GPU hit 100% immediately before throttling back to normal silent levels. This is not a good sign as when this happened before it started to happen more regular until it failed. Found out the cause is RGB Fusion App so removed that which corrupted the main & backup bios then reflashed with Qflash Plus to restore it & get it working again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had the 1st occasion where the motherboard powered on & the GPU hit 100% immediately before throttling back to normal silent levels. This is not a good sign as when this happened before it started to happen more regular until it failed.

think my current pascal Gigabyte cards have all done this at start up, then throttles down (easy to tell with them as the have FAN STOP in RGB). sure my Strix card did this to. Also built an Asus Zotac were it did it . Mobo cant control GPU fans directly by its self on start up- not built for that, specially when they are to completely different brands. no coding is sent from the board to the GPU directly on booting, OS/drivers handles that. only thing that controls a GPU fan speed is the card its self and software on OS .

Some PSU and laptops like MSI do this - but in reverse to clear dust .

might be worth posting up on GPU section for other MSI owners to see if their cards Throttle up on cold boot or restart .

Soldato
think my current pascal Gigabyte cards have all done this at start up, then throttles down (easy to tell with them as the have FAN STOP in RGB). sure my Strix card did this to. Also built an Asus Zotac were it did it . Mobo cant control GPU fans directly by its self on start up- not built for that, specially when they are to completely different brands. no coding is sent from the board to the GPU directly on booting, OS/drivers handles that. only thing that controls a GPU fan speed is the card its self and software on OS .

Some PSU and laptops like MSI do this - but in reverse to clear dust .

might be worth posting up on GPU section for other MSI owners to see if their cards Throttle up on cold boot or restart .
If this is the case how come my ancient Gigabyte socket 1366 motherboard never ever does that?

Last edited:
Soldato
If this is the case how come my ancient Gigabyte socket 1366 motherboard with the same GPU (KFA2 GTX1080 HOF) never ever does that?

is it the MSI card that was used or HOF t in the X399? confusing as you mention both back and forth. again both cards are from different vendors with their own Bios .
Or is it the HOF spins 100% at start up in the x399 but not the lga 1366 at start up?

Soldato
is it the MSI card that was used or HOF t in the X399? confusing as you mention both back and forth. again both cards are from different vendors with their own Bios .
Or is it the HOF spins 100% at start up in the x399 but not the lga 1366 at start up?
Editing to say I solved this on my own in the end it was very simple. All it required was a Qflash Plus with White USB port & FAT32 formatted memory stick to restore the original bios. It seems either the newist F3G bios needs more testing or one of the Gigabyte apps was the issue causing this as it corrupted the Dual Bios somehow. Anyway easy to fix when you find the cause & know how to. I still love the board its just very frustrating when these issues happen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom