Ryzen worth it?

Associate
Hi all,

I've been posting a few threads lately and after much debate purchased my new system with the following specs (please note this was done on a modest budget of £840 inc build and delivery):

AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 1600 3.60GHz (Socket AM4) Processor
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Midi Tower Case with Window - Black
Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply
Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
Graphics Card
Coolermaster AM4 brackets
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 AMD B350 (Socket AM4)

It's due to be dispatched on Monday or tuesday and after browsing various forums and threads even on here it seems that there is many many issues with ryzen.
Ram speeds, slow boot times even with an ssd, black screens and so on.
I'm not a pc expert but this has me worried, I went for the ryzen as it's about 60£ cheaper than the i5 7600k and has the extra cores for similar performance.
But is ryzen worth the hassle? I feel worried I'm gonna get the sysyem and run into issues i just don't have the expertise or time to fix.

Any thoughts should have i went Intel? Apologies in advance for being a headache!

Soldato
I built my new system about 3 weeks ago and it is running great, specs are Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. along with bits out of my old system, a 500GB Samsung SSD and my Zotac 980Ti. Boot times are fine, temps are fine even on the stock cooler, the only problem I have is that my ram will not run at 3200Mhz, it defaults to 2133Mhz so hopefully a few bios updates will sort it. I have to say over all I am impressed.

Associate
My Crosshair VI system has been totally stable for at least the last 2 BIOSes.
I can't get my 3200MHz RAM stable above 2999MHz (cold booting without losing the RAM setting), but I get better benchmark scores at 2999 than when I had it at 3093.
Boot time is slower than my old Intel system, but not by troublingly much.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, maybe just over worrying.

In terms of the RAM, would going for the 3000mhz ram be better? I know there is some issues supporting this however which made me opt for the standard 2400mhz.

Soldato
If they are building it for you mate it might be worth ringing up and asking them if they have any that is compatible, faster ram is always good.

Soldato
Thanks guys, maybe just over worrying.

In terms of the RAM, would going for the 3000mhz ram be better? I know there is some issues supporting this however which made me opt for the standard 2400mhz.

You may as well get the faster RAM, as the memory support is getting much better, and with AGESA 1.0.0.6 currently in Beta for most motherboard manufacturers, it won't be too long before you'll be running at the full rated speed. Not that I am saying you wouldn't already, it's just much more likely in the next couple of weeks. :)

Associate
OP
The overclockers team have recommended I stay with the 2400mhz ram due to the above mentioned issues. I said I will let them know as the 3000mhz Vulcan is only 10£ more.
Also do you guys think the psu will be good enough for this build? 550w is that quite low?

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
For the budget you have quoted and the above, you sir will have a pretty dam good PC. I personally would recommend a high PSU so you may just "upgrade" in the future if you need to rather than buying a new setup i.e. better cooling, maybe another 1060 for sli (cheapest graphics upgrade option since you are already getting one) or a totally new gpu like 1080 or higher etc

Also for your own piece of mind, it seems over the last few weeks reports of any issues seem to be dying out and this is only because updates are being rolled out etc

Associate
Just as additional note what ram would you guys recommend?

I was looking at:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...-channel-kit-grey-tdged416g300-my-089-tg.html

OR

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-grey-tlgd416g30-my-087-tg.html

Both only 10£ more?

EDIT: So confusing lol, so need better MHZ but also need samsung/QVL approved ram...im starting to lose the will....can anyone point me to a decent priced ram thats suitable for the above rig?

I have the Vulcan Ram - Currently my 1600 Ryzen is sat at 3.8ghz with the ram at 3000mhz. Its not on the approved list but seems to work really well, i have even got better timings out of it currently at 16-16-16-36 C1.

Back
Top Bottom