S2000 vs TT

Soldato
Ok I think I’ve got my choice down to these two. I really can’t decide which would be the best though, however I should point out I’ve not driven the TT yet, so will need your input on it’s drivability. The S2000 was excellent to drive.

So the S2000 first, I love the engine, the gearbox, the way it drives and the looks. The problem is that my budget is around £7500, I could raise this but assuming I get £2000 for my car I would quite comfortably be able to finance £5500 over 1 or 2 years. For this as has been mentioned previously may get me a crappy one if I’m not careful.

The insurance is around £820 which is also reasonable. My main issue with the S2000 is the comfort. I thought the soft top was quite noisy at high speeds, also the interior doesn’t look that good. The seat bolsters seem to wear very easily, and more often than not I need to be on the motorway, this is where I’d prefer the TT.

The TT I haven’t driven yet but can imagine it’s much softer and less of a driving tool than the S2000. The interior however is so much better than the S2000 and would be nice to get into every morning, probably more comfortable on the motorway with cruise and climate control etc. However on those nice sunny Sundays where you just want to get in the car and drive on your favourite roads, I’m worried I’ll have made the wrong decision if I pick the TT. The insurance is £600 on the TT 225 which is very good.

My other concern about the TT is the reliability, how do the 1.8T engines cope with mileage? What else goes wrong? I understand mechanically the S2000 is great, which the issues being the hood wear and suspension components.

I know the sensible option is to wait a while and up my budget, but I’m not sensible. I’ll be wanting something by December at the latest. Maybe if I waited I could get a Z4 but it would probably be rubbish even if I upped my budget my a couple of thousand.

What do you lot think?

Caporegime
Depends what you want out of the car, both are very different.

If you want a sports car then buy the S2000, if you don't buy the TT.

What are you going to be using the car for most, motorway trips?

Man of Honour
They are very different cars.

The S2000 is a focused drivers tool offering fantastic handling, a screaming VTEC engine which really rewards the keen driver and a crap plastic interior.

The TT is a good looking posemobile with a dull, soulless 4 pot Turbo, no steering feel but bags of grip, and a really nicely finished (if a little dated) interior.

I'd have the TT any day but to be honest from an enthusiasts perspective it isnt as good a cat as the S2000, but it's also a different car to the S2000.

Man of Honour
Yes the interior of the S2000 is sparse, but who gives a :D

People who give a **** should buy a TT, people who dont give a **** should buy the S2000.

Infact thats a good way of calling it. If you get in the S2000 and think 'Hmmm, Mr Kipling use better plastics when retailing exceedingly good cakes' then get the TT, if you get in the TT and think 'wish it would rev a bit harder and I could actually feel what the steering was doing' get the Honda.

Caporegime
I just think it gives the car character :p

Mines my dd, and I'm about to experience my first winter with it... Will let you know how it is if I don't die going backwards through a wall.

So far, apart from the interior being chilly (soft top still until I cba to stick HT on) and the rear demister being absolute gash, it seems ok...

Soldato
Personally I love the interiour of the S2000, its also very comfortable. There is next to no wind noise either on the motorway.

Soldato
OP
That's the thing, is the TT really that dull to drive?

I don't do that much motorway but i'd still like a nice place to sit when i'm not driving hard.. The S2000 interior isn't all that bad, it's bland but it just wears badly from what i've seen.

Man of Honour
It's not that bad, its just there is no real steering feel and it grips rather than handles.

Soldato
Actually, the S2000's steering feel is notoriously short on feedback.

Curse the electric-ness of it.

Hydraulic ftfw.

Soldato
The TT might seem quite exciting to drive depening on what car you're coming from..

Have you considered an S2000 with a hard top on (GT I think it's called)? Could then take it off when summer comes round and have a soft top for the nice days.

Or... even though I think they're horribly ugly... a soft top TT?

Soldato
I have the top down on my S2000 even in winter, with the heaters on a couple of notches you don't feel the cold at all.

Quite refreshing actually.

The interiour wearing i assume you mean the bolsters of the drivers seat? Yeah this can be a problem as with any seat of the design, however mine is an 04 and it has hardly any wear at all. You can also do an easy diy fix by removing the bolster and repacking it with old sponges, almost good as new after!

Soldato
The TT might seem quite exciting to drive depening on what car you're coming from..

Have you considered an S2000 with a hard top on (GT I think it's called)? Could then take it off when summer comes round and have a soft top for the nice days.

Or... even though I think they're horribly ugly... a soft top TT?

Side bonus of the "GT" S2000 version is the insurance is significantly cheaper than a normal one, as stupid as that sounds its very true (between £200-500 difference on some insurers) I quite like the look of the hardtop as well when its on!

Soldato
OP
I think the TT would be quite exciting coming from N/A to a turbo, having the extra torque to play with but not so much when having fun as my current car is pretty fun still.

I thought the S2000 steering felt good, nice and sharp (imo anyway).

The drop top in the S2000 would be awesome, but I would hate it on the TT as imo it looks rubbish.. I wouldn't be afraid to put the top down either :)

Yeah the interior on the S2 puts me off, certainly with the bolsters more than anything, I saw Conanius's fix and it seemed quite good but it still worries me as I like a nice comfortable interior but also like it to be excellent when driving (I know i'm asking for too much).

The hardtop on the S2 looks awesome imo, if you buy the hardtop separate can it not be insured as a GT? Seems a little silly to me but £800ish is fine anyway.

Soldato
I think the TT would be quite exciting coming from N/A to a turbo, having the extra torque to play with but not so much when having fun as my current car is pretty fun still.

I thought the S2000 steering felt good, nice and sharp (imo anyway).

The drop top in the S2000 would be awesome, but I would hate it on the TT as imo it looks rubbish.. I wouldn't be afraid to put the top down either :)

Yeah the interior on the S2 puts me off, certainly with the bolsters more than anything, I saw Conanius's fix and it seemed quite good but it still worries me as I like a nice comfortable interior but also like it to be excellent when driving (I know i'm asking for too much).

The hardtop on the S2 looks awesome imo, if you buy the hardtop separate can it not be insured as a GT? Seems a little silly to me but £800ish is fine anyway.

Im not sure what your issue is with the interiour of the s2000, I find it very comfortable and snug, I like the look of it (the interiour is improved in 04+). I've seen some tatty bolsters but they seem to be in the minority if the car has been owned by someone who takes care of it. Mine only show a slight sign of wear after 50k miles and 5 years and this is only due to the nobbles on the back of jeans rubbing the side of the seat as i get in! Nothing a leather refurb wont fix.

And no its a "GT version" on the log book so insure it as one at your own risk :p Hard top is worth the extra anyway, its decent if the winter is very poor (like last year) and you can always sell it + the fitting kit for around 800quid anyway if you decide to at a later point. The price difference between the two is almost a non issue as well.

Last edited:
Associate
[TW]Fox;15045985 said:
The TT wont be exciting comining from a 182. It's only slightly quicker as well.

Have to disagree with that.

Having owned both a TT 225 and also having driven numerous 182s, I have to say the TT would absolutely leave the Renault for dead in a straight line. Around corners, however, the Audi was quite poor and it definitely wouldn't touch the Clio.

They are quite boring cars to drive, although if you do a lot of motorway miles you'll appreciate how comfortable it is whilst also offering good straight line performance.

Man of Honour
I didn't find the TT blew me away performance wise.

Motorway comfort was again something I didn't notice, I did however notice no cruise control and intrusive levels of wind/road noise for a Coupe.

Associate
[TW]Fox;15046569 said:
I didn't find the TT blew me away performance wise.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, it's no supercar. I just found it to be much quicker in a straight line than the 182. Around the bends was a completely different story, however.

Top Bottom