S22 Ultra GPS issue

Soldato
I dont think it is a hardware issue (unless there is a genuine fault on someone's device).

I've owned my S22Ultra a couple of days, and the GPS has worked faultlessly apart from today. And I use the gps continuously through the day with google maps and Android Auto, also photos, and my work app.

First thing this morning, I had no location. I downloaded GPSToolbox, and it had zero satellites shown, reset gps state, downloaded a-gps data and still zero satellites.
I then toggled Location off/on in the drop down quick panel on the phone, and straight away back to 20+ satellites and instant gps fix. And its stayed that way all day.

To me it looks like there is some kind of software bug that fails to turn on the gps chip when requested (because the hardware still works), or the gps fails to be awoken from a power saving feature/state. Hence why a reboot gets it working again or in my case toggling the location off/on.

Like now, I havent used anything gps for an hour or two, and yet location (google maps) works straight away inside my house, accurate to a couple of meters and 20 satellites locked on GPSToolbox.

Soldato
OP
I dont think it is a hardware issue (unless there is a genuine fault on someone's device).

I've owned my S22Ultra a couple of days, and the GPS has worked faultlessly apart from today. And I use the gps continuously through the day with google maps and Android Auto, also photos, and my work app.

First thing this morning, I had no location. I downloaded GPSToolbox, and it had zero satellites shown, reset gps state, downloaded a-gps data and still zero satellites.
I then toggled Location off/on in the drop down quick panel on the phone, and straight away back to 20+ satellites and instant gps fix. And its stayed that way all day.

To me it looks like there is some kind of software bug that fails to turn on the gps chip when requested (because the hardware still works), or the gps fails to be awoken from a power saving feature/state. Hence why a reboot gets it working again or in my case toggling the location off/on.

Like now, I havent used anything gps for an hour or two, and yet location (google maps) works straight away inside my house, accurate to a couple of meters and 20 satellites locked on GPSToolbox.

Let's hope it's a software bug then. They can fix those.

But in my mind, I'm leaning more towards hardware, the returned phones gps was weak vs this new one too.

Time will tell

Soldato
I'll probably end up jinxing it, but I haven't had it crop up again. I've still got location working, even in doors it's showing 20+ satellites.
I'll see what happens if it does it again, whether toggling location was a fluke or not.

Man of Honour
I'll probably end up jinxing it, but I haven't had it crop up again. I've still got location working, even in doors it's showing 20+ satellites.
I'll see what happens if it does it again, whether toggling location was a fluke or not.

If I toggle location off, the gps app says GPS is off, toggle it on, and the error goes away, but it still doesn't find any satellites. Reboot phone and boom satellites found aplenty.

Associate
As I've posted on the S22 family thread
Last night on my way home as said in another post, GPS dead.
I went into "Biometrics and Security" and checked for updates for "Google play system update" of which there were a few updates to do, and "System update".

Today now it's been 16 hours since rebooting my phone, opened maps and it's gone straight to where I am. Opened GPS Status app, instant lock with over 40 satellites showing.

Maybe this is the hidden fix!

Those that are having issues with GPS, which version of Google play system update is showing in this menu?

I can't say for sure that it's fixed for good, but it worked without fail when I used GPS at around 4PM today, after applying the updates in the above menu late in the evening the previous day, having not rebooted since.

EDIT: False alarm! It's gone again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Can only give it a try ay!

Its a 1.375GB monster :eek:

https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-S908B/EUX/doc.html

Code:
Galaxy S22 Ultra (SM-S908B)
Build Number : S908BXXU1AVC6Android version : S(Android 12)Release Date : 2022-03-12Security patch level : 2022-03-01
• By performing this software update, your device will:
- not limit CPU/GPU performance during early stages of gameplay
  * maintain a performance management feature based on device temperature
- provide “Alternate game performance management mode” in Game Booster
- allow 3rd party apps to bypass Game Optimizing Service
• The stability of Camera has been improved.
• Overall stability of your device has been improved.
• The security of your device has been improved.
Code:
Build Number : S908BXXU1AVBFAndroid version : S(Android 12)Release Date : 2022-02-25Security patch level : 2022-03-01
• Overall stability of functions improved.

Man of Honour
Latest firmware "seems" to have fixed the GPS issue. Been finding satellites all day with the app since updating the phone. Normally that wouldn't happen. Will keep checking.

Back
Top Bottom