Safari 11 released to Sierra and El Capitan

Soldato
Ahead of next week's macOS High Sierra launch, Apple have apparently released Safari 11 to users on macOS Sierra and El Capitan... and apparently removed it again.

I opened my App Store (Sierra) just now and saw the update. Having trialled the beta briefly I was excited to see the final release, and hit 'Update now'. Unfortunately I got a pop up saying the software update had been removed after it was downloaded by my Mac, and was no longer available. Teething troubles? Something else? Has anyone else managed to snag it, or even noticed it had been released? I only found out by chance.

Associate
Ahead of next week's macOS High Sierra launch, Apple have apparently released Safari 11 to users on macOS Sierra and El Capitan... and apparently removed it again.

I opened my App Store (Sierra) just now and saw the update. Having trialled the beta briefly I was excited to see the final release, and hit 'Update now'. Unfortunately I got a pop up saying the software update had been removed after it was downloaded by my Mac, and was no longer available. Teething troubles? Something else? Has anyone else managed to snag it, or even noticed it had been released? I only found out by chance.

Pretty sure I downloaded this while my iPhone was updating, so just after 1800 last night, ill check when home later :)

Soldato
I hadn't even noticed, but saw my computer had installed it last night. Must've done it when I left it plugged in. Can't notice any difference to the previous version to be honest, I wouldn't haven't noticed if I hadn't read this thread and checked manually.

Soldato
OP
Thanks chaps. I wonder why I got the 'this update has been removed' error then? I'll retry it tonight and see if it pops up again in the App Store. @Scythe I found Safari 11 to be a big improvement, visually different (in beta at least) and much faster than Safari 10. Are you sure you have v11? :p

Soldato
Thanks chaps. I wonder why I got the 'this update has been removed' error then? I'll retry it tonight and see if it pops up again in the App Store. @Scythe I found Safari 11 to be a big improvement, visually different (in beta at least) and much faster than Safari 10. Are you sure you have v11? :p

Ha yep definitely v11, but I'm a fairly casual browser so Safari's always been fast for me anyway. Visually it doesn't look any different to me but I haven't divulged through any menus yet.... is there something I'm missing?

Soldato
OP
That's weird, then. I'm still stuck on v10 and still no updates available since the first one disappeared. :(

vPdGjI2.png

lP2OtHC.png

Looks like I might have to do some Google-fu. I couldn't find a stand-alone installer so I may just have to wait for HS next week (which will have it rolled in anyway). Boo.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Never mind, I solved it (albeit in a way I shouldn't have to).

Code:
$ softwareupdate --list

Software Update Tool

Finding available software
Software Update found the following new or updated software:

* Safari11.0Sierra-11.0
    Safari (11.0), 73783K [recommended]
Code:
$ softwareupdate --install Safari11.0Sierra-11.0

Software Update Tool

Downloading Safari
Downloaded Safari