• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Safe 5850 Voltage?

Associate
I have just upgraded my 5850 cooler so temps are no longer an issue. I am looking for a 1ghz overclock but am not sure what is a safe voltage to keep it at for long periods of gaming.

Currently it is crashing with 1.25 volts on a Crysis benchmark but can I safely push it any further?

Associate
personally 1.3v is the max i would go to.

Watch your vddc temps (voltage regulators) using gpuz. Mine start to get a toasty 90 degC at 1.25v, but im using the stock cooler (1st batch asus). Although this is under kombustor so not exactly representative, but is the worst case.

what have you managed to get to so far? stable that is!

Soldato
Overclock gains over 900-925MHz are quite small, unless you benchmark a lot that is. Don't use Furmark or Kombustor to test the overclock, they really are useless in most cases. I could have run them for hours stable but GTA IV would freeze for several seconds every now and then (clocks would drop) which was easily fixable with one notch bump in voltage.

As been suggested, temps are what determines a safe overclock really, if you can afford a good cooling for the card, including VRAMs and VDDs, you're safe as long as you can keep all the temps below 80*C in games. Higher temperatures are also "safe" but the lifespan is bound to be shortened.

Push it up to in 0.15V increments aiming for the highest overclock under 1.3V. It takes a little fiddling around to get the best overclock for the card.

Back
Top Bottom