Sainsbury's grocery home delivery "Substitution Promise"

Soldato
No idea about Sainsburys but the Tesco version is the best thing since sliced bread.

Everytime they dont have something they send me something much better and it costs the same.

For example i buy 4 pots of cheap peanut butter and i end up with 4 pots of the most expensive peanut butter in the store at no extra cost.

Happens most weeks and i look forward to my upgrades.

Associate
No idea about Sainsburys but the Tesco version is the best thing since sliced bread.

Everytime they dont have something they send me something much better and it costs the same.

For example i buy 4 pots of cheap peanut butter and i end up with 4 pots of the most expensive peanut butter in the store at no extra cost.

Happens most weeks and i look forward to my upgrades.

Both Sainsbury's and Asda are now losing online customers as we speak! :p

Soldato
No idea why you would say that we get loads of decent upgrades with swaps from Sainsbury’s. Shockingly for the OP even on wine where invariably if the couple of bottles we ordered are not available we will get the same number of bottles, same grape but more expensive. We get the odd exchange every now and then where I can’t work out what they were thinking but it still beats going to the shop.

It seems the OP is just sad as he didn’t get loads of cheap wine and had to send back what came…

Caporegime
If you order 10 bottles of wine at £10 each, and they substitute them with 6 bottles of wine at £15 each that's not covered i.e. no voucher
surely the quantity is everything...

why are they substituting a higher per litre cost item? and reducing the quantity wtf

Is it a way to sell some of the crap no one would otherwise buy.

must be a bad experience to order online right now especially if you do your own cooking and need decent quality veg.

most of the stuff in supermarkets recently seems poor quality that would go off before you even got it home.

someone order picking is just going to grab some random ugly slimy looking mushrooms etc for you and won't go out of their way to check all the dates and get the longest ones.

I bet rich people hire a personal shopper rather than trust the supermarkets staff

tesco seem to be the smartest of the supermarkets, I noticed up here all the student areas have a small tesco like corner shop sized, anywhere you see blocks of student flats there's a tesco within half a mile it seems.

they have awesome opening hours too 6am till midnight even on a sunday.

all the students get used to "tesco" and likely continue shopping with tesco for the rest of their lives surely?

thinking about it makes me tempted to buy tesco shares

Last edited:
Associate
No idea why you would say that we get loads of decent upgrades with swaps from Sainsbury’s. Shockingly for the OP even on wine where invariably if the couple of bottles we ordered are not available we will get the same number of bottles, same grape but more expensive. We get the odd exchange every now and then where I can’t work out what they were thinking but it still beats going to the shop.

It seems the OP is just sad as he didn’t get loads of cheap wine and had to send back what came…

You just took it the wrong way.. it was said in good fun regarding the most expensive peanut butter!

I've worked for Sainsbury's for over a decade and online shop with them exclusively due to satisfaction and of course.. staff discount.

Soldato
You just took it the wrong way.. it was said in good fun regarding the most expensive peanut butter!

I've worked for Sainsbury's for over a decade and online shop with them exclusively due to satisfaction and of course.. staff discount.
I worked part time for Safeway many moons ago my mum was a massive fan of my staff discount card!

Soldato
Just turn subs off?

The voucher idea isn't great though. I don't mind when you get a free upgrade if the item you want it is out of stock but if they switch it for a more premium brand but smaller item then I just reject it.

Caporegime

Yeah I can see it a pretty rare eventuality they send you less bottles as anyone ordering 10 is probably having a party

Associate
Do ASDA and Tesco treat a quantity of the same same product as a single item? e.g treating 10 bottles of wine as a single item?

I'm not sure, I'm pretty sure Tesco do - I think what the main crux of what OP is getting at is that if they deliver a more expensive substitute (be this deliberate or not), the OP is in a position where not forced to take the substitute, but due to convenience may decide to, increasing the potential profits of Sainsbury (if the dearer items have a larger profit margin....although not necessarily guaranteed). People use online shopping for convenience, if like me free time is very limited and I want what I have ordered online if it says it's available, it's not my problem if it isn't, so the supplier should foot the cost, otherwise, what's the point of online shopping if you've then got to refuse the substitute to have to trek out and go to the store.

Caporegime
When all else fails attack the messenger. Your ad hominem is sad.

No, what's sad is trying to make a big fuss over something that can be resolved as easily as typing in a different URL. You have a billion other options to remove this problem from your life but will rather huff and puff and make a scene for the sake of it. Life's too short man, let it go.

Back
Top Bottom