Salary of tube and train drivers - why so high?

• Thread starter Thread starter TS7
  • Start date Start date
David_VI;30493374 said:
Driverless on the tube is possible and in the near future yes but the national rail network is far far off. It'll be extremely gradual. A few decades even for one route I'd imagine.

I still think that is pretty naive - it is less complicated than driverless cars and they're already a reality. In the case of driverless cars you've got other road users to avoid. In the case of any particular rail network you can ensure all trains are linked via the same system.

Indeed. And there in lines the problem, there are different signalling systems, ERTMS is the European rail traffic management, and it has been percolating into UK rail, but there are also lots of different standards such as Automatic Warning System (AWS) / Train Protection Warning System (TPWS) - different lines use different signalling/warning systems I believe (I'm very happy to be proved wrong as I may have misread this). I think a lot of the train operators use different levels of ECTS (European Train Control System).

There is also Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) which is a different type of train control... so if you have a train going from one line to another line, it either has to be able to interface with ALL of these, or in the UK we need to adopt 1 unique signalling/communication system.

It is so frustrating - a battle that has been on going in he rail industry for a while - and one that is not going to be resolved any time soon.

We need automation - it will allow trains to run closer together (i.e. more frequent trains, especially in places like the tube), and self regulate so no more stopping inside a tunnel or in the middle of nowhere for no reason, allow better prediction/management of train capacity and allow for better planning. Furthermore, with IoT/sensors and so on, remote condition monitoring and so on, it'll make maintenance and so on much easier to do.

The infrastructure however, is just no ready for it. The agenda is there - the government are aware of the issues/and the need for it... there are a lot of blockers to this, one of which are the unions.

What about pilots? Planes can pretty much fly themselves but still require a pilot right?

dowie;30497447 said:
I still think that is pretty naive - it is less complicated than driverless cars and they're already a reality. In the case of driverless cars you've got other road users to avoid. In the case of any particular rail network you can ensure all trains are linked via the same system.

Are driverless cars really that near? Just because there are other road users doesn't mean it's more complicated than rail. I'm sure I read that driverless cars don't got very fast yet and still require someone just in case?
I think it's explained very well here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik..._we_are_coming_very_close_to_fully_automatic/

Freefaller;30498040 said:
Indeed. And there in lines the problem, there are different signalling systems, ERTMS is the European rail traffic management, and it has been percolating into UK rail, but there are also lots of different standards such as Automatic Warning System (AWS) / Train Protection Warning System (TPWS) - different lines use different signalling/warning systems I believe (I'm very happy to be proved wrong as I may have misread this). I think a lot of the train operators use different levels of ECTS (European Train Control System).

There is also Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) which is a different type of train control... so if you have a train going from one line to another line, it either has to be able to interface with ALL of these, or in the UK we need to adopt 1 unique signalling/communication system.

It is so frustrating - a battle that has been on going in he rail industry for a while - and one that is not going to be resolved any time soon.

We need automation - it will allow trains to run closer together (i.e. more frequent trains, especially in places like the tube), and self regulate so no more stopping inside a tunnel or in the middle of nowhere for no reason, allow better prediction/management of train capacity and allow for better planning. Furthermore, with IoT/sensors and so on, remote condition monitoring and so on, it'll make maintenance and so on much easier to do.

The infrastructure however, is just no ready for it. The agenda is there - the government are aware of the issues/and the need for it... there are a lot of blockers to this, one of which are the unions.

For the most part the UK is still using the same signalling system it used at the birth of signalling, we're talking 100+ years. The way of controlling it has changed, rather than signal boxes all over the place with one guy controlling a small section we have large boxes that cover huge areas, with lot's of workstations controlled by one signaller each. For example Norwich to London Liverpool Street is controlled by just 2 physical signal boxes!

But on the ground it's the same as it always was. One train in one section at one time.
You just have different safety systems which have been added on through the years, like you say, AWS and TPWS.

ERTMS is coming, the rulebook is gradually being updated, but I think it's only in one location at present and that's taken a long time.
ERTMS is basically a moving section, rather than fixed signals your train has a safe buffer behind and in front of it. So you have a moving section/block that means you can fit more trains in. All indications are in the cab, helping you keep a safe distance from the train in front.

I believe ECTS works with ERTMS so that's not widespread, it's on the small section that ERTMS is currently on, which is still mainly for testing and that's taken time, just over 10 years now!
It's only a tiny portion of a Welsh branch line I believe... So that shows you how long things take on the railway.
And even then ERTMS isn't driverless.

We already have remote monitoring on a lot of trains but not widespread yet.

David_VI;30493229 said:
The DLR was built from scratch and is totally self contained. Also doesn't run at high speeds or cross public highways or footpaths.
The stock I currently drive has been around since before I was born, 30 years ago. We're finally getting new trains in 2019 and they're not automated and will have a similar lifespan. We're running on infrastructure that was built in the victorian era with some eras having signalling nearly as old. We've only just got new colourlight signalling on one line.. You really think they would rip that up that soon? Things change slowly on the railway, it's the nature of the beast. It's a reactivate industry not a proactive industry.

I'm not sure signalling will matter much depending on how the trains are implemented. Fact is if driverless cars are pretty much a reality now and driverless trains already exist on special purpose built track then it is perfectly feasible for driverless trains to be available on high speed rail within 30 years.

If ti becomes feasible to do it (which it almost certainly will) then you'll find that there will likely be a push for it, especially if it means being able to run trains closer together/at greater frequency as passenger numbers keep on increasing.

Shock horror as the world is not fair. My Operations manager is on double what I am yet does about 10% of the work I do because he unloads the other 90% on me. In 10 years time I will be in his position and I will most likely do the same. If the unions can get a decent deal for the tube drivers so be it.

Welcome to the real world people.

LeeUK;30493275 said:
There are a lot of people on here who go to work and deal with the same bunch of people "in the office" day in day out.

Once you've spent 15 years working with the general public you will have a different outlook on people. All jobs that have to deal with the general public should have an equal high wage the same as Tube drivers.

Never a truer word spoken

adam cool dude;30500763 said:
Shock horror as the world is not fair. My Operations manager is on double what I am yet does about 10% of the work I do because he unloads the other 90% on me. In 10 years time I will be in his position and I will most likely do the same. If the unions can get a decent deal for the tube drivers so be it.

Welcome to the real world people.

plot twist when your job gets automated just before you get to become the manager...:eek:

I used to look at train driver jobs and think they were rather well paid for what they do; so I became a train driver.

Now I'm actually doing it I think the pay is fair for what is involved. The training is difficult; just under a year of very intense work learning the rules, regulations, traction, stations, routes and just generally driving trains. I have a law degree and I found the train driver course tougher. It's not intellectually challenging as such, but it's a huge amount of information to take in in a short period.

I think a lot of the bad feeling seems to be towards tube drivers and I can't really comment on how difficult their job is compared to a main line driver because I've never driven a tube train.

In terms of how difficult it is to drive a mainline train; it's not that hard to make it go forwards and stop at low speed on a straight bit of track. It's harder to make a car go forwards and stop in similar conditions. However, it is more difficult to drive a train than a car when you are on the mainline driving at speed and braking accurately and safely for stations whilst keeping to time. The railway is also a more complex environment to the roads due to different types of signalling and a huge amount of rules and regulations, especially for degraded working.

I also agree with the guys saying that automated trains on the mainline won't happen any time soon. I have 30+ years left and I am certain I will be driving until the end. Nothing happens quickly on the railway; I am still driving trains that were made in the 80's, it is only in the last few years that the railway in the UK has gained a modern communication network. The mainline simply is too old and complex for automated trains to be introduced easily, it would cost billions and what is the gain? Where is that money going to come from with projects like HS2 being built instead. I can see the tube being fully automated in the near future, but not the mainline.

Bump:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...year-salaries-pilots.html?ito=social-facebook

The salaries of some London Tube drivers have broken the £100,000 barrier - more than most airline pilots - despite their jobs getting easier as many now only have to open and close the doors.

The eye-watering figures, which include overtime, bonuses and employer pension contributions, show the highest paid driver in the year to November received £103,374 - 69% more than in 2012 - while nine were paid upwards of £100,000.

It comes before a wave of strikes that will bring misery to travellers during the Christmas period and lead to an estimated £8million in lost sales for struggling high street shops.

Granted only 9 are earning >£100k and that is including pension contributions and overtime but still, it seems like they're on quite a fat wedge considering the job they do.

Only a matter of time before automation kills off tube drivers surely!

Well according to that article 5/11 lines are pretty much automatic and so they apparently only need to open/close the doors etc.. I'm not sure how true that is but it certainly is the case on the DLR at least.

It shouldn't be necessary to pay such high wages if the job is mostly automated.

My understanding of it has always been that it is so high for two reasons:

1. Suicides.

There's a very probable chance that you will witness a suicide at some point by someone jumping in front of the train.

I've witnessed a suicide, but what's that got to do with me needing money?

When I heard the splatter I didn't think "oh crap I'll need an extra £20,000 this year". LOL I simply cannot see the connection. Does the train driver have to pay to wash the train or something?

The total remuneration of most drivers (upwards of 3,000) is between £60,000 and £70,000, according to figures released by Transport for London after a freedom of information request. Some 900 - mainly part-timers - received less than £60,000.

They also get a free annual travel pass, which are worth £3,548 and cover zones 1-9, eight and a half weeks of paid holiday and full pensions at 60. Those retiring at 50 get a reduced pension.

Yep, nothing to do with losing all their central government funding and people finding less reasons to travel.

No business should be government funded. That is what they are at the end of the day. They are spending more than they are earning - cuts have to be made.

Also seeing as journeys on the underground and other TFL streams continue to increase could you explain exactly how people are finding fewer reasons to travel?

Back
Top Bottom