• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Same old.......either and x1900xt or 7900gtx

Soldato
Quickie for everyone......

Looking for conclusive advice on whether to get a 1900xt or 7900gtx TODAY, to replace my BFG 7800GT OC (as per sig).

Points to consider :

- No Plans to run 2 gfx cards at once
- Running @ 1680x1050 native
- Best bang for buck across board

Must buy today, as GT is off and need PC running ;)

Ducks before the mud slinging starts.
Hope you are happy with what is about to follow. :p

What games do you play?

X1900 cheaper but probably noisier and uses more power. Visuals better tough.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
williamw11 said:
Ducks before the mud slinging starts.
Hope you are happy with what is about to follow. :p

What games do you play?

X1900 cheaper but probably noisier and uses more power. Visuals better tough.

Yeah, kinda figured this would involve some throwin' !

Well, FEAR, QUAKE4, Oblivion (soon) and so on.....also looking towards video quality for DVD/Blu-RAY/HD etc.

Seems generally that the 1900XT does most very well, and for a few shekels less.....but some advice suggests the 7900GTX more clockable & less heat/power consumption.....

I don't think I will be disappointed with either, but just want thoughts before shelling out £300+

Soldato
The X1900 is a bit louder and hotter but a lot cheaper with much better image quality. You said you want bang for buck, the 7900GTX is not good value for money.

Soldato
X1900's cost less and performance is pretty even between the 2.
They are not as noisy as is made out, but are a bit louder than the 7800's (no idea about 7900 as I haven't heard one of those in action) if that concerns you buy the HIS one with the quieter cooler :)
Either card will do what you want with no problems, but is it worth shelling the extra out for the 7900 over the x1900 ?
If thats not an issue for you, then I cant see there being much in it otherwise, just choose whatever takes your fancy ;)
For the record I prefer ATi as I think they have better drivers, but thats just my opinion before anyone starts shouting ;)

Soldato
OP
Great advice, guys, thanks loads :)

TBH, I was leaning towards the 1900XT (figuring the XT-X is probably not worth it...) and the 7900GTX doesn't really offer £x more performance, if at all.

Any thoughts on which version/brand ? This Week Only has some spangly choices.....

Oh, and :

Vogon said:
For the record I prefer ATi as I think they have better drivers, but thats just my opinion before anyone starts shouting ;)

I haven't used ATI since my beloved old 7500....are the drivers OK ? Have heard worrying things about a year ago.....

Last edited:
Soldato
Just experience with the brand, and their support is always top quality. As far as I know the bundle and warranty for all of them is exactly the same.

Soldato
kevpuk said:
Surely will, any tips on clearing out nVidia drivers and baggage, prior to ATI install ?? It's been a while since I have had anything but nVidia cards.... :eek:
Run the uninstall for them, reboot, then run DriverCleaner Pro (should be the first hit on Google) and reboot again. Then install the latest Catalyst drivers (6.4) and don't forget the "Chuck patch" to enable HDR+AA in Oblivion (if you play it.) :)

Soldato
OP
Great, thanks, just looked up Driver Cleaner Pro and 'Chuck Patch'....will be my route of choice.......am I best just downloading the latest ATI driver (6.4 ?) and installing, rather than whatever is on the CD ?

Soldato
kevpuk said:
Great, thanks, just looked up Driver Cleaner Pro and 'Chuck Patch'....will be my route of choice.......am I best just downloading the latest ATI driver (6.4 ?) and installing, rather than whatever is on the CD ?
Yep. The drivers on the CD will be dated, I got the 6.1 drivers with my X1800XT. If your driver CD has 6.4 on by any chance, just use those.

Back
Top Bottom