Samsung 226BW grows to 24" model - The Samsung 245B Widescreen!!

Associate
There is no mention of hardware 1:1 on the quick start guide provide on this topic, but it should support driver based 1:1, as the 226BW does.

Soldato
Would this eat my X1900XT for breakfast?

I'm hoping someone will say yes, so I stick to my original choice of the 226BW.

In terms of gaming (COD2, BF:2, CoH) as opposed to general Windows usage (understand this is less demanding).

Soldato
Is the viewing angle on this monitor good?

Will it ghost is games such as unreal tournament?

Will it be good for movies?

Thats all id like to know, will be ordering one friday i hope, if it doesnt ghost?

"TN Film is that it is fundamentally a responsive technology in terms of pixel latency. It has long been the choice for "gamers" screens and response times have long been, and still are today, the lowest out of all the technologies"

Man of Honour
Carl said:
Is the viewing angle on this monitor good?

good by some TN Film standards since it uses a panel from Samsung's latest gen of TN Film. However, it wont compare with VA / IPS panels in viewing angles. adequate for average use, but vertical viewing angles are potentially a problem.

Will it ghost is games such as unreal tournament?

depends how suceptable you are to things like this. It wont be as fast as some other modern screens around, but should be adequate for most users.

Will it be good for movies?

again, tN Film, so viewing angles maybe an issue. black depth is pretty good on modern TN panels at least. Movie noise not an issue from a decent viewing distance for a screen this size i'd say

ps, i'm seeing is Samsung can send me one for review, so will keep you updated if i can get one :)

Caporegime
i thought TN panels were supposed to be the best for response times, or is the dithering and stuff used to imitate 16.2mil colours and overdrive on screens like the dell causing TN panels to be worse now?

i really can't decide, i don't really want to dump as much on the Dell screen as a sammy. tis such a pain, need a monitor store that you can go view all the screens at and see whats best for you :(

any news on the current/future trends on lcd panels, are prices going up, down, staying where they are for a while?

Man of Honour
drunkenmaster said:
i thought TN panels were supposed to be the best for response times, or is the dithering and stuff used to imitate 16.2mil colours and overdrive on screens like the dell causing TN panels to be worse now?

i really can't decide, i don't really want to dump as much on the Dell screen as a sammy. tis such a pain, need a monitor store that you can go view all the screens at and see whats best for you :(

any news on the current/future trends on lcd panels, are prices going up, down, staying where they are for a while?

TN Film generally offer good response times, but the panel is rated "only" at 5ms by Samsung. This tends to indicate nowadays that the panel is not really using a great deal of overdrive RTC to boost G2G transitions, as Samsung's models which do use this (like the SM226BW for instance) are listed as 2ms G2G.

5ms tends to be the fastest non-overdriven generation today in the TN market, and for example, the SM225BW was 5ms rated. The panel remained very similar in the SM226BW, but Samsung added a degree of overdrive which helped improve responsiveness in practice further. When i said the SM245B is prob not as fast as other models, i meant it prob wont be as responsive as overdriven TN models like the SM226BW, or Viewsonic VX922 for example.

However, it should fair pretty well against the other 24" models around, and probably will be pretty comparable in this regard. The 8ms S-PVA generation, 8ms P-MVA generation, and 5ms TN Film generation tend to be pretty comparable in response times, and so the SM245B will prob be as good as the Dell / BenQ models in this area.

Caporegime
coolio, i'm looking for a screen for the 360 to connect to, aswell as very high end pc gaming so something that will just about do 1080i seems like the next step as i have a 1680x1050 now which seems fine for pc gaming at this res but being the cheaper dell 20".

also want to be ready for high def films when blu ray drives are semi cheap and so on as i watch a lotta film/tv and all on my monitor.

does it sound like price on this will possibly cause some dell/lg/benq price drops? or any other tn screens on the way soonish? hate decided what to do as lately when i finally make a choice 2 days later something makes that the wrong choice :(

also, i, well i dunno, there was talk when the some of the 22" overdrive screens came out where it was causing issues, not ghosting but graphical weirdness i guess. i can't quite recall but sure people were questioning some of the overdrive monitors. is that something thats been fixed, was really only on faulty screens or does overdrive have some drawbacks?

Soldato
Slogan said:
Would this eat my X1900XT for breakfast?

Sorry to quote this again, on the same page. But I am considering selling some stuff to fund the purchase of one of these.

I don't want to sell stuff, buy it (and be broke) - then realize I need a 8800 to really get the best of it.

Soldato
Slogan said:
Sorry to quote this again, on the same page. But I am considering selling some stuff to fund the purchase of one of these.

I don't want to sell stuff, buy it (and be broke) - then realize I need a 8800 to really get the best of it.
I play BF2 on my 7900GTO at 1920x1200 on max everything, 2xAA 8xAF. I'd guess there's not too much difference between our gfx cards. Can't comment on how it would do with your other games, although I'd expect COD2 should be fine. There's plenty of benchmarks at that resolution around, so have a look.
Gaming at 1920x1200 on a 24" widescreen is a great experience and it's worth it even if you have to drop some quality setting IMO.

Associate
Wanting to know whether TN panels really are a compromise - I'll be using my display for general PC use, movies and gaming (via PS3). Will I notice a huge difference between this and a PVA?

Associate
is the monitor in stock yet ??

was supposed to be out last friday according to the ETA on the info page.
then pushed back to today, now it has no ETA but still says preorder.

If i'm gonna have to wait another week I'm gonna change my order to the Dell 2407WFP.

OcUK Staff
OP
Mark403 said:
is the monitor in stock yet ??

was supposed to be out last friday according to the ETA on the info page.
then pushed back to today, now it has no ETA but still says preorder.

If i'm gonna have to wait another week I'm gonna change my order to the Dell 2407WFP.

Hi there

Our ETA was today, but it still not yet arrived. Samsung are saying beginning of next week so fingers crossed.

Caporegime
Think I'm going to go with the Dell, can get a fantastic price on it to rival the Samsung and even though I don't really know much about monitors, from the general feeling of this thread I feel the Dell will be better for my needs :)

I'll be using it on a Mac Pro - X1900XT 512mb

for...

Picture/Video editing

Website design

Graphic design

Watching films/tv shows etc.

Precision photo processing.

Caporegime
jesus, Gibbo is there anyway you can have a go at samsung and other people about their uk/euro pricing. its a joke, cpu's and plenty of other things actually aren't that much cheaper if at all compared to the US even considering the recent drop of the dollar. but jesus on lcd's its become a joke. this screen is $540 , thats £270, and around £315, and thats the closest they get, the sammy 244T, the benq's, the price difference is insane. i was reading a news article hinting at the fact that samsung among others ship screens specifically to be sold in europe and different ones for the US/asia, same screens, massively different price. how is it not illegal, ggrrrr.

not blaming ocuk here, just companies who just get away with it over and over again. exact same computers on dell site here and us are pretty big differences, sony are known to be a joke. some bluray player, stand alone was $1000 on sony's own site and £1000 in the uk, a lot of tv's are similar priced $ to £, obviously the PS3 is almost double the price here compared to us/asia and for a cheaper unit.

i REALLY want a 24" but their prices aren't dropping very fast and here half the screens are stupid, NEC screens, i've only had one, but that was, 4-5 years ago a 17" something, it was entirely superb, back in the days with 25ms responses and everyone talking about ghosting i loved that screen. everyone seems to find NEC to just get the best performance out of their screens, but you can already get 24" models for $800 there, and thats only a little more than our current 20" version. crying inside.

EDIT:- honestly i'm becoming disgusted with some companies, most companies treatment of the UK, i just can't understand how we can pay so much more and essentially subsidise the prices in other rich countries. IT seems to me that if any of these companies had a real excuse, then they, or any number of journalists would be able to provide REAL numbers for import costs, and other duties incurred that make it more expensive to sell here than the states. the lack of anyone being able to find these so call massively higher duties and importing costs that cause the high costs leave nothing else but the fact we are being entirely ripped off.

memory/cpus are very competitive here compared to world wide, so are a lot of items, just a few are insanely marked up here.

i'm entirely happy to pay more for a samsung or NEC screen than an ACER over here, but is it fair that you can get the NEC or samsung cheaper in the states than you can get a d-sub only ACER in the UK? my guess would be the NEC, 24" thats in the states that is what £460 there would be in excess of £750/800 here. i just can't find an answer as to why anywhere, and neither can anyone else.

Last edited:
Associate
This sucks, I ordered one of these 2 weeks ago and still no stock. I can't even go elsewhere has OCUK have kinda illegally billed my card already!!!

Back
Top Bottom