Samsung 34" QD OLED monitor!

Caporegime
Is this the monitor we have all being waiting for?

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/samsu...ction-of-a-34-qd-oled-panel-for-monitor-usage

Earlier this year in August we brought you details about this emerging panel technology. It uses organic OLED material as the light source and Quantum Dot (QD) material as a film. It will be more similar to Samsung’s own AMOLED used for mobile phones and LG’s OLED TVs and will mark the company’s return to the OLED segment.

Quantum Dots are very small semiconductor crystals that emit their own light, they create a wider variety of colors at wider angles. You might be familiar with QD technology being used in the desktop monitor market where a special coating (Quantum Dot coating) is often added to an LCD backlight to provide enhanced colours and wide colour gamut. In Samsung’s QD Display tech these are combined with a blue self-luminescent OLED layer (can also be Micro LED in the future), without the need for a backlight, allowing for the creation of rich colours and pixel level lighting and dimming capabilities. Benefits include:

• Super fast response times
  • Pixel level dimming
  • True Blacks and 1 million:1 contrast ratio
  • Images that feel brighter than they actually are
  • Reduction of harmful blue light
  • Wide colour gamut and volume
  • Wide Viewing Angles
  • Anti Reflection Coating

I hope so. I hope Samsung dont mess it up and price it right.

Soldato
If it doesn't cost more than a top of the range TV then yeah. Personally I'm looking forward to Micro LED so we can all forget about OLEDS and burning in, otherwise my tv will continue to be a disposable item I may have to replace every x amount of years or months.

Soldato
Watching closely but expecting to be disappointed with either the specs, availability, or the price... Par for the course with tech hardware these days! :o

As I said in the other thread, 34" is an interesting choice. It suggests an ultra wide (21:9) display, but given that these will be used to test the market's appetite for the tech I'd have thought 16:9 would make more sense i.e. more takers at that aspect ratio?

Man of Honour
Do Samsung even do pro monitors?
Not right now but they might not necessarily produce a monitor themselves, they may produce the panel and let others adopt it for pro monitors. Really hard to know right now, I just expect cost to be high and for that to limit it’s uptake

Soldato
Price is no doubt going to be high with that amount of marketing hype.
And that Organic LED part still brings its limited life time/burn in risk for PC use.
So to make sense price shouldn't be much higher than in LG's OLED TVs.

Anyway I'll never waste my desk space for ultra low screen.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
posted this earlier on cx thread, other AV forums had different links including this one :

https://www.techradar.com/news/sams...in-55-inch-65-inch-sizes-but-can-they-compete

also fomo has some more pricing details:

which says the new QD-OLEDS will be from £6000+ , this is however an estimate for the high end 65" models, not sure about smaller 55" or 34".

Sounds bleak I know, but as another popular av member suggested this is the same price as OLEDs when they came out, it just took a good few years before yield and stock levels improved and then prices went down.

Id guess though most people will be leaping onto the affordable 42" LG C2 OLED due in a few months time which with any luck will be £800-1K

Caporegime
Sadly will more than likely have a silly deep curve, in which case, no thanks. However, if it doesn't and it costs no more than £1k, yes please.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Gonna be pretty impossible to get this under 1K early on, Samsung imo are taking a big risk considering LG rule the OLED domain and they are only just coming back to it with a 2nd attempt here. They have to play serious catch up with LG and if they start with £6K + price tags it might flop.

LGs 2022 line up and 42" could just as easily offer similar if not better picture quality and at affordable and obtainable prices, we just wont know till we see the reviews.

hdtv will probably be the only guy that can afford one to review it:p

Soldato
posted this earlier on cx thread, other AV forums had different links including this one :

https://www.techradar.com/news/sams...in-55-inch-65-inch-sizes-but-can-they-compete

also fomo has some more pricing details:

which says the new QD-OLEDS will be from £6000+ , this is however an estimate for the high end 65" models, not sure about smaller 55" or 34".

Sounds bleak I know, but as another popular av member suggested this is the same price as OLEDs when they came out, it just took a good few years before yield and stock levels improved and then prices went down.

Id guess though most people will be leaping onto the affordable 42" LG C2 OLED due in a few months time which with any luck will be £800-1K

Wow **** me

is anyone going buy a Samsung oled when it costs DOUBLE the price of LG OLED

Soldato
The price does seem silly but one factor that may help is if Samsung somehow have managed to have a better handle on burn in issues. That would be a selling point for many IMHO.

It may be, but I'd lean towards just getting an LG and then 2-3 years later buying another new OLED and having spent the same money (if this makes sense). In the same way buying an RTX3070 and then later buying an RTX5070 is better than just buying an RTX3090 even though both scenarios cost the same.

Samsung will need some more advantage to justify that kind of price variance, being more resistant to burn in alone may not be enough.

Back
Top Bottom