Samsung 34" QD OLED monitor!

Soldato
It may be, but I'd lean towards just getting an LG and then 2-3 years later buying another new OLED and having spent the same money (if this makes sense). In the same way buying an RTX3070 and then later buying an RTX5070 is better than just buying an RTX3090 even though both scenarios cost the same.

Samsung will need some more advantage to justify that kind of price variance, being more resistant to burn in alone may not be enough.

That would be my approach as well.. perf/money ratio goes out the door with higher tier products real fast most of the time.

Associate
It may be, but I'd lean towards just getting an LG and then 2-3 years later buying another new OLED and having spent the same money (if this makes sense). In the same way buying an RTX3070 and then later buying an RTX5070 is better than just buying an RTX3090 even though both scenarios cost the same.

Samsung will need some more advantage to justify that kind of price variance, being more resistant to burn in alone may not be enough.

Totaly agree. And as since I got my CX 55 in April, there is no way im going back to POS LCD ever again :D
But the out of this world awesome CX, have spoild me now - can never even start up a game on my PG279Q annymore..It's of course trash vs OLED ..LOL!

And I want a monitor just for some desktop gaming and im not into e-sports or so. Single player games for me only and the telly of course will do. But can really miss the feeling of desktop gaming if that makes sense :)
But I also am a little hesistant for using OLED as a monitor. Typing on my PG279Q right now. For working this LCD is great and never a consern about burn in issues. I know these newer Tv's are so much safer vs before, but annyway!

That said I would never buy an overexpenive Samsung vs LG. Then I happily will just as you said keep it a few years tops and sell / buy a new one!
But I will never go UW.
Want atleast a 32 inch or even can go up to a 42. So that C2 looks damn promising!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
haha that is probably the best name for an LED, just POS.

Still a lot of this is to blame for Samsung imo, they just didn't care about Gamers or customers that own smaller then 43" size screens since they figured no money there, they just put all there better tech and panels into the high end 55-77"+ TVs, ie anti reflection, wide view angle support, proper 10bit panel, hdmi 2.1 port etc

Then someone had a spark of an idea 15 years too late and said lets create a high end smaller Panel for gamers and those customers in LG, and its still too massive:o, suddenly Samsung realized they missed the market and money entirely.

Really if Samsung and LG had wanted to make money, they should have started with the gaming community and bedroom size TV viewers with at least 32", 34", 38", 42" as in high end panels.

I hope LG actually surprise us and include there elusive 31" OLED in 2022 line up, they appear to at least understand just now the void and are cashing in on it big time, just not sure they have enough common sense to do it so quickly.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
LG 42C2 it is, maybe samsung fans and rich folk can help reduce the cost few years down the road for rest of planet, Samsung better hope its way more better then the LG OLEDs.

Soldato
Got to be 120Hz surely? Otherwise I agree, a fail.
I think its more likely to be a 240hz or 360hz and 2000 grand for it wont be enough. OLED is fast enough for 360 and the current G7 and G9 line is already 240hz. Imagen developing a much faster panel, than what they use for their 240hz screens, but only make it available in a 120hz monitor among competitors that have IPS variants upto 240hz. I highly doubt that is something Samsung wants to do. This is on the assumption that it will be 3440x1440.

I could have course be wrong. Maybe there is something about OLED that I don't know or understand that prevents them from going 240hz or 360hz. Maybe @Baddass or @PCM2 could enlighten the discussion or someone else that knows more about this than I do(shouldn't be that difficult to find someone :p ).

R3X

R3X

Soldato
As hdtv guy said, probably a curved screen so Samsung will be doing their best to take gamers money and their funeral pot and retirement pot with them.

Soldato
perf/money ratio goes out the door with higher tier products real fast most of the time.
Out the door?
Don't you mean down the toilet seat and drain?

OLED is fast enough for 360
Using same BS speed measuring as LCDs OLED would be surely good for 1 kHz.
Though would need new connections for those bitrates.
Possibly using optical fiber.
Even DisplayPort 2.0 might do just barely 360Hz 4K using DSC.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

God I hope the 34" Samsung OLED monitor is greater than 1440p and 60Hz.

60 Hz, even for professional displays, needs to die a brutal death.

Now that phones dont come with anything less than 90hz (unless super budget) and a lot of laptops come with higher refresh screens now. Its about time all monitors do as well, at least from the mid range up.

Associate
Yeah forme that UW is a no go. 34 UW - just as big vertical as my PG279Q No thanks!
Give me a 32 regular!
But even that 42 seems nice. Could work for me, and the imersion will be insane

Associate
Nope, nope and have some more nope! Ultrawide... What is Scamsung thinking to only release ultrawide and not the most used 16:9? Seriously, what the f is Scamsung thinking???? I like to play older games so UW are not supported. I like to watch movies and series but the big black places on the monitor is personally distracting. FFing hell, man! Scamsung knows their reputation has gone to trash so they're targetting dumb gamers with more money than braincells? I'll never ever buy overpriced monitor. Due to the mentioned issue I have with UW, LG 42C2 will be my next "monitor". My God, wtf Scamsung!

Soldato
Nope, nope and have some more nope! Ultrawide... What is Scamsung thinking to only release ultrawide and not the most used 16:9? Seriously, what the f is Scamsung thinking???? I like to play older games so UW are not supported. I like to watch movies and series but the big black places on the monitor is personally distracting. FFing hell, man! Scamsung knows their reputation has gone to trash so they're targetting dumb gamers with more money than braincells? I'll never ever buy overpriced monitor. Due to the mentioned issue I have with UW, LG 42C2 will be my next "monitor". My God, wtf Scamsung!

Calm down dear before you do yourself an injury :cry:

You realise many movies are made in 21:9, so by watching on a proper monitor you'll actually get less of those "big black places" you find so distracting? :p

Also I'm sure many people made the same arguments against 16:9 back when 4:3 was all the rage, but feel free to waste GPU performance pushing those extra 30% pixels top and bottom that you barely look at ;) have you ever even tried an ultrawide?

I recently bought a new monitor and testing side by side a 43" 4k and 38" ultrawide, the ultrawide was far more pleasant to use and far more immersive (since I could have it closer without getting a stuff neck looking up and down)

(yes this post is partially tongue in cheek, but seriously, you seem very worked up about this :confused:)

Last edited:
Associate
Calm down dear before you do yourself an injury :cry:

You realise many movies are made in 21:9, so by watching on a proper monitor you'll actually get less of those "big black places" you find so distracting? :p

Also I'm sure many people made the same arguments against 16:9 back when 4:3 was all the rage, but feel free to waste GPU performance pushing those extra 30% pixels top and bottom that you barely look at ;) have you ever even tried an ultrawide?

I recently bought a new monitor and testing side by side a 43" 4k and 38" ultrawide, the ultrawide was far more pleasant to use and far more immersive (since I could have it closer without getting a stuff neck looking up and down)

(yes this post is partially tongue in cheek, but seriously, you seem very worked up about this :confused:)

Don't worry, I express my thinking without mad face behind my screen hahaha
It's nice to see Samsung to release UW monitor but it would have been really nice if they would release 16:9 too. QD OLED 1440p 27"? That would have been a killer.
And I wrote I also like to play old games so UW resolutions are not supported and I don't want to search mods or scripts to "fix" that. And yes, I have Netflix and most are in 21:9 and personally, I don't mind horizontal black bars.

but feel free to waste GPU performance pushing those extra 30% pixels top and bottom that you barely look at ;) have you ever even tried an ultrawide?
That one was unnecessary. Do you really think I made it up of what I wrote all of that without ever experiencing UW? I did experience UW monitors and don't like it. But I like to make custom UW on 16:9 like 2560x1296 in some certain games. And wasting GPU performance talk was unnecessary too. I know exactly what I'm in too. This GPU I have is a 1440p card, 1080Ti. Even if the screen is 2160p, I would just select 1440p in games. Due to jacked up prices, I won't upgrade in the upcoming 2-3 years.

Oh didn't see it was UW, yeah that's a hard pass. 48" OLED it is.
I'm glad I delayed it so 42" OLED it is.

Last edited:
Soldato
How about you remove those Inuit snow goggles to see how small vertical image size of ultra low screens is for desk space consumption...

Associate
I had to go back to 16:9 for a few weeks when my 34" LG died. It was awful. The form factor regression was just as bad as going back to 60hz.

Frankly a 34" or 38" ultrawide, high refresh OLED panel *monitor* would be waaaaaaay more desirable than a TV for me.

My issues/concerns are:

1) I would be perfectly fine with paying some kind of premium for an actual pc display (instead of TV) as long as it has advantages for a pc user. The form factor/size is a definite plus for me (even vs a 42" TV) but the main concern has always been burn-in issues when being used daily for general/work based pc computing. If there is no improvement here then really its size and form factor advantage are cancelled out by the increased price.

2) if its curved is it going to be Samsungs usual ridiculous 1000r curvature? LG's curvature is sooooooo much better...

3) Samsung QC for its desktop monitors is not exactly well regarded (to put it mildly). To be fair, neither is LG's, and I had zero issues with mine.... right up until it outright died 2 and a half years in.

I am expecting/betting that the 3 factors above will probably point me towards the 42" LG but man I wish that WASNT the case...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom