Samsung 8K upscaling for PC Games

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking at a new telly for the man cave and I'm torn between Samsung Q80T 4k and Q800T 8K. I'll likely be doing a fair bit of PC gaming on it as well as movies etc.

I'd rather get the 8K but despite having an RTX 3090 but I'm under no illusions that 8K gaming will be an option. I'm a little concerned about using the 8K at a non-native 4K resolution and letting the TV upscale it to 8K. That said, I've got no experience to justify my concern. It just doesn't feel right.

Has anybody got any experience using an 8K TV at a 4K resultion for PC gaming they can pass on?

Thanks

Soldato
For gaming you'll want something capable to above 100Hz, unless you play only slow paced games.
Even if you lower the input signal resolution (to decrease GPU load and increase fps) refresh rate of panel won't improve.

And with Samsung being marketing driven company there are no easily available accurate specs.
Including even connector version.

Soldato
To be good for gaming it should still have FreeSync.
4K is very demanding for GPU and you'll need variable refresh rate to avoid problems of standard V-sync/lack of it.

Associate
It should still look great and crisp since you'll be getting the same pixels per inch as any other 4k screen. You'd really want to keep it at 4k so you can use 120hz and gsync. If it were me I'd buy a top end oled from LG instead of 8k, especially if you're wanting to use it on a pc.

Back
Top Bottom