Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb custom cooling

Associate
Hi, just bought a brand new 980 Pro 1Tb (ebay bargain) and a new "Barrow 2280 22110 PCIE SATA M.2 Radiator Dual Fan" (also from eBay's Barrow shop).
According to this installation overview (Read before order) on aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001302445811.html

I should remove the drive's label, anyone's doing it?
Dissipation's improved? Still under warranty?
I got the feeling I shouldn't tear this off.

Soldato
I probably wouldnt just for warranty purposes as it will be void if you remove it. Have samsung drives under heatsinks with the labels still attached directly to thermal pad and they are cooled just fine.

I'd have probably thought a degree or two at most, certainly not worth losing the warranty for.

Soldato
Hi, just bought a brand new 980 Pro 1Tb (ebay bargain) and a new "Barrow 2280 22110 PCIE SATA M.2 Radiator Dual Fan" (also from eBay's Barrow shop).
According to this installation overview (Read before order) on aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001302445811.html

I should remove the drive's label, anyone's doing it?
Dissipation's improved? Still under warranty?
I got the feeling I shouldn't tear this off.

removing the stickers on nvme drives absolutely voids the warranty, don't do it

Soldato
That’s got to be the biggest rip off in the world or close to it. Two tiny crappy fans strapped into a generic aluminium mould.

It is going to be noisy for sure.

you would be better off just making sure there is sufficient air flow in your case than wasting money on that sort of stuff.

plus a lot of M.2 slots are under GPU slots. So surely that raised heigh will give compatibility issues.

Associate
OP
That’s got to be the biggest rip off in the world or close to it. Two tiny crappy fans strapped into a generic aluminium mould.

It is going to be noisy for sure.

you would be better off just making sure there is sufficient air flow in your case than wasting money on that sort of stuff.

plus a lot of M.2 slots are under GPU slots. So surely that raised heigh will give compatibility issues.
I'm not going to be rude, I'm sure you (thought you) had your reasons to state the above.
I've chosen this one from many models after a week (or so) research and the look was one of the factors as well but also, performance and quality (been using the Barrow brand inside my loop occasionally for years, all good quality products, also I'm planning to buy their block for my 3080 X Trio).
The fans are definitely "crappy" if you're gonna use them anywhere else but on this heatsink for sure, however they gonna do their job in this case easily (~10k rpm) as they were designed for (just for you to know they also sell a similar product with almost identical heatsink casing but no fans which are replaced by an oled temp display plate, I'm pretty sure mine will perform much better).
The sound noise is subjective, I have plenty of fans in my rig and not a fan of the whisper quiet pc anyway. In case I'll deal with it, if necessary lowering their rpms.
And lastly, the position of the nvme will be just over the vga (on top of it) replacing my 960 Pro (for now cooled by the tiny aluminium plate of my MSI Z490 ACE).

Soldato
NVMe drives are designed to be run with high temp tolerance. 85c is the thermal throttling point for that 980pro. That is usually shown to be around 80c when working hard in a lot of online reviews. But that is obviously hammering the drive with a synthetic load. So if you do have a use case where your drive with be exposed to high sustained sequential write or read for a long period of time then strapping on such device would be belt and braces - piece of mind. But if you are not going to ever get to those load usage, Why stick a pair of fans to it when it is not necessary?

A better air flow into the case is always better as well as the online reviews tend to use non-air flow cases to mimic worst ambient condition in the case for the temperature torture test.

Soldato
Do not remove the sticker, it will void your warranty.

They say to remove it but the install pics show fitting it with the sticker in place.

Why not just use the heatsink plate on the motherboard? Will look a lot neater and cool enough for every day normal usage.

Think the highest mine got to was ~ 55c when i benchmarked it, cooled by the motherboard plate.

Back
Top Bottom