Samsung A70 6.7" 4500 no curved screen ~£400

Soldato
If like me you hate curved screens, think a big battery is good and want a large phone this might be for you...

https://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-a70/SM-A705FZKUBTU/

not really seeing any down sides to this one (I hope no one spots anything I have missed)

Was about to buy a honor note 10 until I spotted the lack of some band required by o2... then decided on a Mate 20 x but was put off a bit by the price and thought maybe it was just a little too big... Was about to pull the trigger on the Mate 20 x then spotted this new release..

Man of Honour
Not sure what the CPU and GPU are like. But overall it's an interesting spec.

Most impressed with the fact it still has SD, 3.5mm and USB C. Long may it continue.

Associate
From what I can see on benchmarks the cpu is decent but the GPU is weaker than the SD821 in my.LG G6. I don't mind though as I am not a big mobile gamer. The new A series is listed on the prime as HD compliant so that's another bonus for me.
The camera seems to.get a bit of a negative vibe.

Soldato
OP
ok i have one! not set it up yet but it feels so much nicer than my old s8 plus in my hand! size wise.. it seems no bigger than a s8+.. wondering now if i might upgrade to a huawei max 20 x... will update when i have had a change to use it

Man of Honour
Spent a few minutes with one yesterday. Carphone Warehouse had a demo unit in.

Form factor is fine. Back is very smooth and also iridescent which is... lovely... Little drop for the camera is better than the full notch, but I'd still prefer the ear speaker, cameras and light sensors to be contained in a bar above the screen, same as having a chin at the bottom for the nav buttons (I really miss having a hardware home button), but that's me. Not a fan of the rounded corners to the screen, but they're here to stay, for now anyway. Screen resolution was obviously lower than the S10+ and Note 9 they were close to, but not enough to be a worry, it's higher than full HD in something a little over 6". Didn't try the 3.5mm socket, but I'd expect it to be fine.

It's an interesting device at the price.

ok i have one! not set it up yet but it feels so much nicer than my old s8 plus in my hand! size wise.. it seems no bigger than a s8+.. wondering now if i might upgrade to a huawei max 20 x... will update when i have had a change to use it

I'm coming from an S8+ as well, so thanks for the feedback. The Three shop in Stafford gave me their number and said that I can ring them tomorrow and then they'll reserve a Samsung A70 for me to pick up later in the week. £370. I'm so glad that I have finally broken out of £48/month contracts and gone sim-only @ £20/month!

Soldato
OP
After a days usage, not a very exact review but comming from a s8plus my main concerns were it might be too big, screen might be worse or lower res.. phone might be slower ..

It's not too big it feels the same size in my hands
Screen looks the same
If its slower I don't notice, not that I push it hard but a bit of pokemon and angry birds a few pictures and normal apps feel the same speed

Phone is nicer to hold than the s8..

On screen finger print reader is reviewed as slower I think but it seems the same to me.

I eatrn enough that I could drop a 1000 on a phone but no way I could justify a s10 plus over this ...

Might pass this to the wife in 6 to 12 months for the larger mate 20 x whenthey are under 400 (only because its larger and I know 6.7 is not too big)

Associate
I am very tempted to get one to replace my loyal Note 4 as decent batteries are getting to be a pain in the **** to find. I will miss the S pen for note taking and the like but I can't justify spending so much on the Note 9.

Samsung are offering £100 trade-in value plus £60 cashback and then I can can spread the cost via Paypal credit interest free and pay £209, which is a bargain for a handset like that. On top of the £6 per month I pay for my Sim I can't really think of a reason not too (apart from sentimental attachment to my nearly perfect Note4 :D)?

Associate
I am very tempted to get one to replace my loyal Note 4 as decent batteries are getting to be a pain in the **** to find. I will miss the S pen for note taking and the like but I can't justify spending so much on the Note 9.

Samsung are offering £100 trade-in value plus £60 cashback and then I can can spread the cost via Paypal credit interest free and pay £209, which is a bargain for a handset like that. On top of the £6 per month I pay for my Sim I can't really think of a reason not too (apart from sentimental attachment to my nearly perfect Note4 :D)?

A good alternative for battery life is the moto g7 power, one reason why i recommend this is for one the price is £180 instead of something like £359 for the a70 off the rainforest.

I managed 14 hours and 9 minutes of on screen time with the moto g7 power and i personally buy this article which claims 15.5 hours of on screen time or use regarding the link below.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/moto-g7-power-battery-life,news-29796.html

Dan.

Caporegime
I've got one. Its not perfect but the value is impressive.

Screen and battery life are impressive. Under screen fingerprint is slow and unreliable. It's a touch laggy at times due to the midrange SoC.

Associate
A good alternative for battery life is the moto g7 power, one reason why i recommend this is for one the price is £180 instead of something like £359 for the a70 off the rainforest.

I managed 14 hours and 9 minutes of on screen time with the moto g7 power and i personally buy this article which claims 15.5 hours of on screen time or use regarding the link below.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/moto-g7-power-battery-life,news-29796.html

Dan.

Looks good for battery life but for the difference in price I would probably go with the A70. Might see if I can get my hands on any working demos instore anywhere.

Associate
Looks good for battery life but for the difference in price I would probably go with the A70. Might see if I can get my hands on any working demos instore anywhere.

Fair play mate, we all have our expectations.

Yeah, for the price and what @Minstadave said about the value it is good.

This is like a poor mans version of battery life when compared to the a70.

Don't get me wrong but the a70 is indeed a better phone with better processor and the like as well as a great battery life, i think more people would prefer a better processor like your self prehaps so yeah but when compared with battery life well i have had a look at samsung a70 battery life test and have not found anything yet despite a quick look on google.

I hope you do demo the moto g7 power, and also to know just how good the battery life is like on the moto g7 power and also to see if it suits you i.e. if the phone lives up to what your after like processor power of the phone and the like.

I think i am confused but you should do a comparison of the a70 and the moto g7 power at the least.

My 2 pence.

Dan.

Associate
I am used to getting half a day useage at best with anything remotely like proper screen time (youtube etc) and actually calling people, so anything lasting a full day would be a major improvement for me :p. A semi decent camera wouldn't go amiss and I think that might be where the A70 might have the edge on the G7 if my brief skim of reviews is correct.

Back
Top Bottom