Samsung DeX

Permabanned
I don't like how they capitalise the x.... but oh well - what do you guys think about it?

the experience looks really good - a much nicer UI than windows, however it looks like when you dock the phone, not only does it take a while to boot - you also lose where you were with your apps.

The Asus Padfone let you continue your experience and that is both a few years old AND across tablet / laptop...

Anyway, I am thinking of getting it but only if samsung are serious about it...

Permabanned
OP
Looks good but on recent evidence samsung will charge about a grand for it :)

127 apparently

Personally I don't get the need for it?

I guess if you don't have a PC (Who doesn't) and want a similar experience... tbh I wish I could replace my PC because windows is like that old guy who is trying to "stay young" and failing.

Caporegime
127 apparently

I guess if you don't have a PC (Who doesn't) and want a similar experience... tbh I wish I could replace my PC because windows is like that old guy who is trying to "stay young" and failing.

I can see it if it can replace my pc. Ie, use office applications. As you could take it from work to home for example. But if it can't, I'm always going to have a pc available where I have screens.

Permabanned
OP
I can see it if it can replace my pc. Ie, use office applications. As you could take it from work to home for example. But if it can't, I'm always going to have a pc available where I have screens.

Ya, I think that's what a lot of people have said (reporters), personally my PC monitor is also my living room TV, so if I wanted to, I could split between the 2, but then why would I want to?

You can use Citrix/VMWare/Amazon from the phone to remote to a windows PC, which would give you more power, but then you wouldn't use that for gaming.

Associate
I remember back in the days of the Motorola Atrix. I had the lapdock that transforms the phone into a laptop. It was a such a great idea but suffered from poor execution. UI was slow and laggy.
Mobile CPU & GPU power has come such a long way since the Atrix im hoping that this one will live up to the hype. Microsoft office apps look very usable according to the videos showing this.

Permabanned
OP
I remember back in the days of the Motorola Atrix. I had the lapdock that transforms the phone into a laptop. It was a such a great idea but suffered from poor execution. UI was slow and laggy.
Mobile CPU & GPU power has come such a long way since the Atrix im hoping that this one will live up to the hype. Microsoft office apps look very usable according to the videos showing this.

The padfone was very slick, I think if they can get the phone transition in the next iteration, they could easily bundle it with the phone and people would be happy with it.

Heck they should have left out the £99 headphones and bunged in the DeX for to get the market into it.

Soldato
Anyway, I am thinking of getting it but only if samsung are serious about it...

I think it's a great idea, but this right here is the big question. If it's only good with flagship-grade phones (or thereabouts), they might not sell in great numbers and Samsung might get bored with the idea eventually.

Associate
Samsung Dex StationEE-MG950BBEGWW
£129.00

Would you like some ketchup with it? :)

A bet''s a bet, I just need to figure out how to fit the 1080ti into my steamer and I'll chow down :p

Edit: actually hold the ketchup there chief, I said I'd eat my card if it only cost 127. It costs 129 :D

Permabanned
OP
I'm not sure to get it or not, It probably won't be compatible with future samsung phones and could potentially be a gimmick - as they said, it doesn't really work with apps that are locked to touch controls, which worries me, that said in desktop mode, I'm more likely to use it for video and browsing, little email.... hmm

Soldato
I thought the dock acted as a wireless charger too with the way it fold down and might have been included with the phone? Guess not. On the plus side it does look nice. I immediately thought of work and if android is capable of running a vpn client and RDP, it would be great for area managers and field users to connect into windows server.

Associate
I'll stick my neck out here and say that I'll eat my 1080 GTX if it only costs £127. I'm betting £200 since the us price is $150. Didn't Microsoft do something like this when windows 10 came out?

I think you're in for a pleasant surprise (apart from the eating your graphics card bit). I suspect the currency conversion from USD will be of a similar ratio to the handset itself, which is accurate compared to most phones/tech

Back
Top Bottom