Samsung Evo 960 m.2 not found during window install

Associate
I've searched high and low and found similar posts online but not quite the same.
I have windows 7 media on disk which I'm trying to install on a new Samsung evo 960 m.2
It drive is visible within bios but not listed within the windows install.
The only drivers I could see on samsungs website are an executable.

Will I be forced to try and skip stream this into a windows USB install or are other drivers available?

Motherboard is the Asus Maximus VIII
The onboard PCI4_3 Slot config is set to auto, however I've seen some videos where this an option to select m.2 which is not listed I my drop down, only Auto, X2 and X4

Adam

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't think Windows 7 had native Nvme support!?

I think you are going to have to faff about a bit.

EG. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...an-nvme-ssd-from-a-usb-3-0-thumbdrive.783921/

EDIT. As to the relevant Nvme drivers, not sure. Maybe someone else has done this and will come along.

EDIT 2. Not sure if this helps:
http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html
It mentions the SM961. So I would have thought it may be OK for the 960.

Once you've got Windows 7 installed. You can use Samsung's executable Nvme driver install for this drive (to put the correct drivers on).

Good luck.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if relevant. But W7 allows for a driver to be loaded before installing of windows. Used to be F6, but load the driver onto a USB stick and plug in to a USB 2 socket. Hit F6 then see if the driver is selectable. I remember doing this a few years ago. not sure what the driver was for though.

Soldato
Not sure if relevant. But W7 allows for a driver to be loaded before installing of windows. Used to be F6, but load the driver onto a USB stick and plug in to a USB 2 socket. Hit F6 then see if the driver is selectable. I remember doing this a few years ago. not sure what the driver was for though.

Pretty much what I'm suggesting above. But the OP's problem is getting hold of a suitable driver. As the ones from Samsung only appear to come via an executable. Hence why my final suggestion above :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the heads up guys, I have a feeling usb3 drivers are not loaded as default with windows 7 and it might well be my USB stick is plugged into a USB 3 port? I'll give that a whirl tomorrow ;)

Associate
OP
Some slight progress, I managed to slip streak what I thought was a number of possible nvme drivers (couple of versions) into a USB install stick and can boot off that fine but still no show of an m.2 drive, only see it in bios.
:(

Associate
OP
I am contemplating this but I only have a legit version of windows 7 - which I plan to update to win10 through my accessibility options ;)
As it's a PC upgrade, I think I forfeit transfering the licence from my previous win10 machine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am contemplating this but I only have a legit version of windows 7 - which I plan to update to win10 through my accessibility options ;)
As it's a PC upgrade, I think I forfeit transfering the licence from my previous win10 machine.

I would just take the hit and do a clean install with windows 10. The hardware is to good to be held back with legacy drivers

Soldato
Download the equivalent windows 10 version (home if you have 7 home, pro if you have 7 pro/ultimate) and use your windows 7 key where it asks for a key. I am fairly sure it will just work.

If it doesn't, install 7 on a drive that doesn't need any faffing around and upgrade instantly. Once 10 is running on that drive and you can see that it's activated you can go back to the windows installed on the m2 drive and it should activate.

Back
Top Bottom