Samsung F4EG Firmware Update *1.5/2TB*

Soldato
Huzzah I managed to get it to work!

I managed to get the HP tool to work for me and used the HP tool with some Win 98 files.

I did have to plug in an old ps/2 keyboard as it would take input from my USB one.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

UNetBootIn should also work fine, that's how i did mine. One thing to note is you need to make sure it's formatted as FAT32 before running it, it doesn't change the filesystem of a drive and will happily copy everything onto an NTFS partition which it won't be able to boot from.

Soldato
Huzzah I managed to get it to work!

I managed to get the HP tool to work for me and used the HP tool with some Win 98 files.

I did have to plug in an old ps/2 keyboard as it would take input from my USB one.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

Nice, booting from a USB stick can seem like a bit of a black art to start with, but once you get the hang of it it can be really handy. :)

Associate
I just ordered a F4 2TB, its coming tomorrow.
Im just wondering if i can attach just the F4 to my system and update the firmware, or do i have to install the harddrive as a secondary drive and enable it in windows manager before i can install the firmware.

Associate
I just ordered a F4 2TB, its coming tomorrow.
Im just wondering if i can attach just the F4 to my system and update the firmware, or do i have to install the harddrive as a secondary drive and enable it in windows manager before i can install the firmware.

You'll be fine updating via a bootable usb drive/cd with the drive attached on it's own prior to partioning/formatting.

Best of luck.

Associate
I upgraded the firmware but it stlll says I'm on 1AQ10001. It updated instantly and said downloaded successfully (no progress bar or anything), I assume that's normal?

Associate
I want to buy 5 of these for my nas (synology ds1511+) but after hearing about the update and not having my pc anymore (sold) im not sure how i will update it =\

Soldato
Not sure what platform these affect but I use them on both NAS and Windows so I had to update them all tonight.

If you decide to update you can find a bootable iso with the firmware at the link below:
http://tiny.cc/pw6id

How to install:
- download the file
- burn it on a CD
- boot your PC from the CD
- chooe 1) "continue to boot from FreeDos"
- chose 1) "install to harddisk using FreeDos"
- chose your desired language
- chose "run FreeDos from CD"

Now you should get the prompt x:

- type "HD204UI" and press enter

Soldato
Mine bought two weeks ago flashed fine. If it did come with newer firmware, the flashing program didn't detect it or prevent a flash.

Soldato
Not sure what platform these affect but I use them on both NAS and Windows so I had to update them all tonight.

If you decide to update you can find a bootable iso with the firmware at the link below:
http://tiny.cc/pw6id

How to install:
- download the file
- burn it on a CD
- boot your PC from the CD
- chooe 1) "continue to boot from FreeDos"
- chose 1) "install to harddisk using FreeDos"
- chose your desired language
- chose "run FreeDos from CD"

Now you should get the prompt x:

- type "HD204UI" and press enter

Thanks for the link - super quick and easy :)

Associate
This upgrade is not working for me.. I have disconnected all other drives, booted fine on a USB stick, but when I issue the f4EG command it attempts (showing some details about the drive), but then says "This system supports ATA commands only", followed by "This program isnt available for this drive".. It is definitely a HD204UI drive, 2tb.. I checked the SATA setting in the Bios, and it is set to IDE (tried the other setting aswell). Any idea?

Soldato
I've got two F4's, not had a problem with either of them and I bought them when they first came out. I keep very important data on them (same data on both drives, one's a backup) I wasn't aware of problems with these drives and the FW flashing looks hap-hazard!

Should I update the firmware?

Soldato
I'd say yes but it might take you a while to get the damn thing working. I had to boot from a FreeDOS CD-RW and then run the update from a USB stick.

Back
Top Bottom