Samsung Galaxy Fold - First foldable screen smartphone from Samsung

Soldato
y'all need to remember the galaxy round, then the galaxy note edge etc.. it's basically a real world tech experiment. You have to make things real eventually but this will be scarce and expensive enough to ensure it's not a disaster if it's not 10000% perfect.

Then in about 4 years apple will invent it and everyone will **** bricks.

Associate
Another potential deal breaker for me for this type of folding screen tech is if the foldable screen will play well with screen protectors, though I can't imagine it will.

I never use a phone unless I have a clasp case with rubber/extremely rigid and strong corner protectors and a gorilla glass or similar screen protector - I've dropped my phone at least 10 times over the years that would have likely totally smashed the screens on them only for them to be completely fine thanks to screen protectors and cases.

I can see a lot of these getting smashed pretty easily if screen protectors don't work well with them.

Soldato
Another potential deal breaker for me for this type of folding screen tech is if the foldable screen will play well with screen protectors, though I can't imagine it will.

I never use a phone unless I have a clasp case with rubber/extremely rigid and strong corner protectors and a gorilla glass or similar screen protector - I've dropped my phone at least 10 times over the years that would have likely totally smashed the screens on them only for them to be completely fine thanks to screen protectors and cases.

I can see a lot of these getting smashed pretty easily if screen protectors don't work well with them.

Especially if we've got to a point where the back is the screen as well as the front :)

i mean I get the Huawei is a nice looking device but thats the whole thing you can break super easily.

Soldato
OP
Surely the fact that the screen can fold means they’ll be more of a flexy plasticcy top material, so less brittle and more impact resistant than current hard glass displays?

Just speculating. Anyone touched a bendable display IRL yet?

Soldato
I wouldn't even contemplate even thinking about contemplating it unless I could be absolutely guaranteed that..

1) It can be dropped on concrete from a great height and survive unscathed. (See also, sat on, trodden on, Chewed by the Cat/Dog/Leopard/etc and so on)

2) I can vigorously rub an old-school Brillo pad all over the screen and it will remain unscratched.

3) I can drop it in the Bath/Loo/Whatever and leave it there all night and it will be totally waterproof.

4) That the battery is either/or user replaceable and last at least 5 years

Soldato
I wouldn't even contemplate even thinking about contemplating it unless I could be absolutely guaranteed that..

1) It can be dropped on concrete from a great height and survive unscathed. (See also, sat on, trodden on, Chewed by the Cat/Dog/Leopard/etc and so on)

2) I can vigorously rub an old-school Brillo pad all over the screen and it will remain unscratched.

3) I can drop it in the Bath/Loo/Whatever and leave it there all night and it will be totally waterproof.

5) Chinese government knowing everything you do on the phone

Soldato

Wow, what phone do you have at the moment?! I assume a Nokia 3310 in which case this wasn't really for you...

Man of Honour
Wouldn't pay Huawei that much but I'd pay for a phone like that if it had a proper screen with seamless fold, no silly bevels or edges to the screen, decent battery life and a user replaceable battery.

Soldato
I personally think folding phones will be nothing more than an expensive fault-ridden gimmick until the technology matures in another 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom