Samsung Galaxy Fold - First foldable screen smartphone from Samsung

I'm in a similar situation to the OP: I have £2000 spare (£3500 actually) and my phone contract is due in a couple of months.

There is absolutely NO WAY that I'm going to put £2k towards a new phone. God knows how long (and expensive) the contract would be, considering that a lot of the carriers are now rolling out 3-year contracts. Go sim only!

Guys, if you have £2000 spare, think about what you need. E.g. my fridge/freezer is 12 years old now. It's still working pretty good but it buzzes sometimes and I notice it's less efficient, uses more electricity. I will be putting £500 towards a new fridge/freezer at some point this year. Currently my £3500 is in savings.

You're comparing apples (lol) with oranges

I once had an Apple phone on Orange :p

Yeah and a Nissan Micra does essentially the same job as a Lamborghini Huracán (whatever that is i had to google it)
but there are morons that will die for a "flash" car.

Being into posh phones is actually a cheaper, smarter choice to waste your money :p

Not really fair comparison

A lambo is giving you a significant performance increase over a Micra as well all the engineering & craftsmanship gone into making it

A foldy screen phone doesn't do anything a tablet can't do apart from fold and fit in a pocket, is it really worth 5x the cost to be able to fold your tablet in half to put in your pocket ?

The same could be said about every new thing that comes out. Much like in early 2000 when the smart phone emerged many people were like what's the point I have a computer at home. Fast forward to 2019 and people can't live without their smart phones.

Not really fair comparison

A lambo is giving you a significant performance increase over a Micra as well all the engineering & craftsmanship gone into making it

A foldy screen phone doesn't do anything a tablet can't do apart from fold and fit in a pocket, is it really worth 5x the cost to be able to fold your tablet in half to put in your pocket ?

So it cant do anything but be completely different and original to anything already out today?
I don't see many foldy bendy screens for sale until today.
I do see 1000000000s of wheeled, combustion engines that cant break the lands speed limits of 30mph in cities.
Its all BS and its a great comparison.

If you don't want to accommodate carrying two devices it might be.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't miss a tablet when out on the move. In fact, the 5.5inch screen on my phone (an old G4 Plus) means I don't use a tablet at all any more.

It's a solution looking for a problem as far as I can see, which doesn't alone necessarily mean that it won't sell, of course. But £2k is a lot of cash.

Mate X definitely looks better but it's also more expensive than the Fold at $2,600.

LG has a case for the V50 which adds a second screen so should be considerably cheaper than the foldable phones but it really doesn't look as elegant as them.

Definitely am tempted to get a foldable phone as I would like the bigger screen but still want something easy to use with one hand, but it's something that does need a few generations to get completely right.

I love it, can't wait till the tech trickles down to my price range.

I've said for about 2 years now I won't upgrade till it folds open into a double screen.

Don't understand some if the hate for it on this thread, finally a bit if innovation on the phone horizon.
Remember the days when all different sorts of mobiles were coming out every month, now they are all exactly the same.

Hope it starts a bit of thinking outside the box or "rectangle"

Huawei has revealed its first smartphone to feature a foldable screen, less than a week after its rival Samsung did the same. The rival handset-tablet hybrids have contrasting designs.

Huawei's Mate X places its fold-out screen on the outside of the device, so that it covers the front and rear of the phone when closed. In both modes, the display is larger than Samsung's. Huawei's device is also flatter and thinner when shut.

(Source).

Capture.png

Huawei has said you can multitask with two apps simultaneously (as opposed to three with the Galaxy Fold). Design is great, but if you look very closely it seems that a faint crease is visible in the middle of the fold (unlike the Galaxy Fold, which appears seamless).

Price: US$2,600.

Again.. everyone calm down.

If you want to be an early adopter then you know it comes with both cost and compromise.

This is obviously going to become a new norm at some point with pricing to march IF these trailblazers don't throw up any massive issues.

This is barely about selling phones and to the extent it is it's about selling volume of the lower ones

I sort of like the idea, but I would need two things before considering it.

1: a cast iron, no quibbles guarantee that the screen will not break at the fold for at least 2-3 years of heavy use multiple folds/unfolds a day - I note they're saying it's designed to last thousands of folds, but design life vs real life often don't match in my experience ;) (and thousands of folds can be 3-5 folds a day for a year, I can open/close the cover on my tablet and ereader dozens of times a day).

2: A price drop to where I'm not going to be paranoid about losing/breaking/having it stolen ;)

I'd be more impressed and happy if someone released with an ereader design that folded out*, as IIRC they've been demoing ideas for that for at least 5 years with different tech/methods (from separate screens connected by a hinge or that work together when place next to each other, to foldable screens or screens that unroll scroll style).

*I still don't quite know why the likes of the Amazon A4/reference book size screen ereader hasn't had a replacement given how useful that format is for graphic novels, text books etc.

Back
Top Bottom