Samsung KS7000 55" > LG OLED 55"?

Soldato
Currently have the KS7000 55" UHD TV and while the picture is fantastic, I have damaged the back of the TV and no longer have the stand so looking to change the TV.

Figured it was time to invest in an OLED TV.

Am I likely to see any difference switching to OLED UHD?

I sit 8ft away from my TV and watch exclusively UHD content.

Cheers

Soldato
I had the Samsung JS9000, the previous generation flagship and a curved screen, but by all accounts quite similar in terms of picture quality to your KS7000. I switched to an LG OLED and yes there is an enormous difference. I didn't think it would be so noticeable. The biggest thing I noticed was the black levels and the difference between bright and dark areas of a scene. The KS7000 is edge-lit, as was my JS9000, and it just can't compete with the per-pixel dimming of OLED.

I have had my OLED for about a year now and I still get 'wow' moments watching UHD content. You'll get the best out of it if you buy a 4k blu-ray player, but 4k streaming content does a decent job as well. For example, 'Our Planet' on Netflix looks absolutely stunning on an OLED TV. Also, the UI and remote are way better on the LG OLEDs than the older Samsung UI. Samsung have improved that recently, but it was poor on the JS and KS series TVs. I was never really blown away by my Samsung TV, in retrospect it was a bit disappointing given how much I paid for it, but I don't regret one bit upgrading to OLED. I was lucky that mine was a free upgrade thanks to extended warranty after the Samsung broke and couldn't be repaired.

Soldato
OP
I had the Samsung JS9000, the previous generation flagship and a curved screen, but by all accounts quite similar in terms of picture quality to your KS7000. I switched to an LG OLED and yes there is an enormous difference. I didn't think it would be so noticeable. The biggest thing I noticed was the black levels and the difference between bright and dark areas of a scene. The KS7000 is edge-lit, as was my JS9000, and it just can't compete with the per-pixel dimming of OLED.

I have had my OLED for about a year now and I still get 'wow' moments watching UHD content. You'll get the best out of it if you buy a 4k blu-ray player, but 4k streaming content does a decent job as well. For example, 'Our Planet' on Netflix looks absolutely stunning on an OLED TV. Also, the UI and remote are way better on the LG OLEDs than the older Samsung UI. Samsung have improved that recently, but it was poor on the JS and KS series TVs. I was never really blown away by my Samsung TV, in retrospect it was a bit disappointing given how much I paid for it, but I don't regret one bit upgrading to OLED. I was lucky that mine was a free upgrade thanks to extended warranty after the Samsung broke and couldn't be repaired.
Thank you for that. :) What LG model did you go for? I actually the UI on the Samsung is really good, everything is easily accessible and the standard remote is fine, didn't like the magic and remote though, that was poor.

I also watch my UHD content through Apple TV, VUDU, Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube. I think all of these support Dolby Atmos sound and Dolby Vision. I have thought about a dedicated 4K blu-ray player but i'm put off by how cheap the UHD films are digitally. Suppose i could just Buy>Watch>Sell like i used to with games. :)

Soldato
Thank you for that. :) What LG model did you go for? I actually the UI on the Samsung is really good, everything is easily accessible and the standard remote is fine, didn't like the magic and remote though, that was poor.

I also watch my UHD content through Apple TV, VUDU, Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube. I think all of these support Dolby Atmos sound and Dolby Vision. I have thought about a dedicated 4K blu-ray player but i'm put off by how cheap the UHD films are digitally. Suppose i could just Buy>Watch>Sell like i used to with games. :)

I've got the LG B7. At the time I did the warranty replacement the C8 had recently come out and they offered me an upgrade to that, but I'd have had to pay £500 on top and I just didn't have the money at the time. I don't think LG do an enormous amount to each generation of OLED, the panel and OS are largely the same, it's more about refining the picture quality and adding a couple of new features (such as Google assistant). If you do go for an OLED then probably your best bet is just to use the streaming services, see how you get on with them in terms of picture quality and then consider a 4k blu-ray player if you're not 100% satisfied. I agree with you that digital is probably the way forward and for what is mostly a small difference in picture quality I couldn't be bothered to spend the money.

Associate
I have literally just upgraded from a 55" KS7000 to a LG 65" B8s which arrives this Friday. I was driven by the desire for a bigger screen and the OLED was the best in budget (rtings.com based reviews) so I grabbed it.

I sit 9 feet away, roughly, and from that odd graph of sitting distance apparently I'm in the sweet spot for the size and 4k viewing. I'm expecting it to be a nice upgrade with the size / 5.1 cinema system (Q Acoustics 5.1 3050i set) but I can let you know how the picture feels practically before and after.

Associate
I have literally just upgraded from a 55" KS7000 to a LG 65" B8s which arrives this Friday. I was driven by the desire for a bigger screen and the OLED was the best in budget (rtings.com based reviews) so I grabbed it.

I sit 9 feet away, roughly, and from that odd graph of sitting distance apparently I'm in the sweet spot for the size and 4k viewing. I'm expecting it to be a nice upgrade with the size / 5.1 cinema system (Q Acoustics 5.1 3050i set) but I can let you know how the picture feels practically before and after.

I got a 55 inch B8 TODAY to replace my KS7000 - I cracked the screen when moving house so had to replace.

I've watched about an hour and the difference is night and day. OLED is staggering.

I paid £979 from RS today (price beater vs. Peter Tyson)

Associate
I got a 55 inch B8 TODAY to replace my KS7000 - I cracked the screen when moving house so had to replace.

I've watched about an hour and the difference is night and day. OLED is staggering.

Awesome. I'm genuinely looking forward to it a lot now. :D

Soldato

I want from KS8000 to LG C9 OLED.

Let me just tell you I wish I had done it sooner

Soldato
I went from KS7000 to LG OLED over two years ago now and I’m still impressed with the picture quality. Not had any issues with retention or burn in or anything else tbh...

Soldato
Close your curtains

* Close your curtains, otherwise TV is not bright enough
* dont watch any news
* dont play too many games
* dont watch any sport with static scoreboards
* Babysit your TV
* Enjoy fighting your retailer when you get burn in

I think that covers most of it :p

Associate
* Close your curtains, otherwise TV is not bright enough
* dont watch any news
* dont play too many games
* dont watch any sport with static scoreboards
* Babysit your TV
* Enjoy fighting your retailer when you get burn in

I think that covers most of it :p
I know this is mostly made in jest but I spent some time looking into the burn in fears. For nearly all normal use cases it's really not a factor.

Just have to look at the rtings report on it and it takes thousands of hours in near continuous use. (https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test)

Soldato
I went from KS7000 to LG OLED over two years ago now and I’m still impressed with the picture quality. Not had any issues with retention or burn in or anything else tbh...

Same.

I owned the KS7000 for about 2 weeks before i returned it, nothing but issues with HDMI handshakes and the build quality seemed poor.

Back
Top Bottom