Samsung NU7400 55" - Anyone else got one?

Soldato
Ordered one or these, seems pretty good and a step up from my MU6400 49" which is now gone in the bedroom (And Wow that size in the bedroom is awesome it's like a cinema screen :p).

I curious at if if anyone knows if the 55" will be a VA panel and not IPS, I'd hope to get brilliant or better black levels of the MU6400.

And some talk this does have local dimming but others saying it doesn't, yet on Samsung it does say UHD dimming, is this not the same?

Thanks

Soldato
Pretty sure the 50"+ screens are all VA. All the VA/IPS lottery is with the 43" panel.

Gathered this from the AVForums thread after some research. We're considering one of these as an office TV as it has the decent Smart system with all the apps we need, has the voice remote, a decent enough picture and a great price. HDR might not had all the many nits, but it's an office tv after all.

Can you let me know if it has working NOW TV app please, once it's arrived and setup. Wanting to get rid of the NOW TV sticks.

Soldato
OP
I shall let you know, getting it on Thursday. Looking at it a bit more some people rekoned it was the replacement for the MU6400, but others the replacement for the MU7000 early serious, either way no solid review of it. I'm no HDRphile or whatever you'd call them but when I watched a film in HDR on my MU6400 I was amazed, and hope this is a bit better. Glad it's going to be VA, weird how everyone raves about IPS for monitors but then VA for TV's.

Soldato
I recently purchased the 50inch that one is a VA panel I don't believe I has local dimming, as for the HRD it's bit meh... From what I have read last year's range of TVs are better.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The model numbers are so confusing, I am sure the NU7400 is better than the MU6400, better specs, not to mention it's a 55 as opposed to the 49" and does have better HDR performance, indeed it probably will be meh but it's a better experience than no HDR (Excluding Windows what a nightmare that is)

I loved the MU6400 picture quality was amazing to me, but the 32" was too small even in the bedroom, trying to play on a console I was proper straining even with glasses, now it's like a cinema!

The 55" will be just that bit bigger to be comfertable in the living room, rather than have it in the corner going to re-arrange the room and have it head on, a bout 2 meters from the sofa, with my Wharfedales and eventually a sub, should be a good movie experience!

Last edited:
Associate
I picked up a UE43NU7400 for £344.00 at Co-Op during the Black Friday sales. It's due to arrive sometime this week, plenty of discussion re VA/IPS panels. Just hope I'm satisfied and performs better than my UE40H6400.

Soldato
OP
Pretty sure the 50"+ screens are all VA. All the VA/IPS lottery is with the 43" panel.

Gathered this from the AVForums thread after some research. We're considering one of these as an office TV as it has the decent Smart system with all the apps we need, has the voice remote, a decent enough picture and a great price. HDR might not had all the many nits, but it's an office tv after all.

Can you let me know if it has working NOW TV app please, once it's arrived and setup. Wanting to get rid of the NOW TV sticks.

Just had a quick look before work this morning as it was delivered at 7am, got it set up and immedatly there is a Now TV app, haven't opened it but assume it will be working.

First impressions, great looking TV, great picture out of the box but will look to tweak. Defenitly better than my MU6400 which evidently must have been an IPS as blacks are better on this, slight backlight bleed from the bottom but not much.

The menus were a bit laggy not sure why but isn't normal, updated software and it's a bit better but will have to have a look at that.

Associate
I received my UE43NU7400 yesterday.

I haven't had time to test everything out yet, will do that tonight.

It's a nice TV, decent sound, good picture quality. I made a huge mistake not reading Samsung 2018 models don't support DTS. Almost 70% of my movie collection has DTS audio and this TV doesn't support it. I'm considering selling the TV on.

Last edited:
Associate
The amp is a Yamaha R-N500, stereo receiver. I use it for Airplay, Spotify, my pc and optical for TV occasionally.

Until I find another option for TV, I think I'll just use the Xbox One to play MKV movies with DTS, if that supports streaming over DLNA hopefully.

Soldato
Guys not sure if my TV is faulty or its just not as vibrant as my older Sony W6 but the colours seem washed out. When you change setting from standard and go down the list does the image become darker and less colourful?

Soldato
Thanks for the info on NOW TV guys :)

I received my UE43NU7400 yesterday, some pics below for those wanting to pick up a set in the sales soon.

I haven't had time to test everything out yet, will do that tonight.

It's a nice TV, decent sound, good picture quality. I made a huge mistake not reading Samsung 2018 models don't support DTS. Almost 70% of my movie collection has DTS audio and this TV doesn't support it. I'm considering selling the TV on.

Think that's an IPS panel. From info on AVF a VA is 01/02 number.

Associate
I actually don't mind the picture quality if it is an IPS panel, looks pretty decent to me. My only gripe is the support for DTS being dropped, I have tons of movies on my NAS which when played on the TV comes up with audio data not supported. I'm gonna have to play the movies using the Xbox One S if that's possible until I pick up another TV.

I could add some sort of media player or blu-ray player but for a bedroom I'd prefer it simplistic as it is. Plus, don't really want to spend more money.

Associate
I actually don't mind the picture quality if it is an IPS panel, looks pretty decent to me. My only gripe is the support for DTS being dropped, I have tons of movies on my NAS which when played on the TV comes up with audio data not supported. I'm gonna have to play the movies using the Xbox One S if that's possible until I pick up another TV.

I could add some sort of media player or blu-ray player but for a bedroom I'd prefer it simplistic as it is. Plus, don't really want to spend more money.
plex is your answer mate

Associate
Apparently that doesn't work either.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/DTS-unsupported-on-2018-QLED-s-Q9FN/m-p/392756

It's plastered all over Google when searching for Samsung DTS, can't believe I missed it. Just fortunately I bought the set at a good price looking on that auction site.

I'm done with Samsung now. We've got a Sony 50" W829, I think I'll try my luck with finding a 43" Sony during the sales later this month.

Soldato
Anyone got any settings for display?

kinda hard to give settings as each TV is different also depends on the lighting in your room. I would put mine up but having issues as the colours seem off. Rtings or AV foruns should have settings that might help.

Soldato
Perhaps I need to properly calibrate with the right equipment but I assume that'd be pricey.

When you select Movie mode does the picture become darker? and colours duller? for me standard mode is average... as i go down the list it looks like I am watching TV wearing sun glasses....

Back
Top Bottom