Samsung S23A700D 23" 120Hz 3D Widescreen Gaming Monitor - Black **GET THE VAT BACK?

Associate
I have one of these monitors with a GTX 570. The Tri-def software seemed to only work in side-by-side mode, so halves the horizontal resolution. It did not work with WinDVD Pro 11 over DVI or HDMI. I have a Hazro 27 inch as my main monitor and wanted this for occasional 3D movie watching. I finally got that to work using Nvidia 3D play over HDMI. This works fine, just costs another £25. It's probably not much good for gaming as limited to 24P at full resolution, although OK for Microsoft Flight probably (fairly slow moving). I tried the 3D vision emulator with no success. I didn't put too much effort into this as I'm not convinced it could correctly differentiate between left and right views without the transmitter.

Caporegime
This one is for u Gibbo. i have a 7970 with a single dvi port.
if i purchase the msi lightning with 2 dvi ports can i run 120hz over 3 screens
with not buying adapters. ty ;)

I'm sure you don't mind if I answer.

Only if they all have DisplayPort connections which, assuming you're talking about the monitors in this thread, they don't.

You'd need 3 dual link DVI connections.

Your existing card has 1 so you'd need 2 of the miniDP to dual link DVI adapters @ £75 each.

You'd be worse off with the Lightning.

It has 2 DVI connectors but neither of them are dual link so you'd need 3 of the miniDP to dual link DVI adapters @ £75 each.

Associate
I'm sure you don't mind if I answer.

Only if they all have DisplayPort connections which, assuming you're talking about the monitors in this thread, they don't.

You'd need 3 dual link DVI connections.

Your existing card has 1 so you'd need 2 of the miniDP to dual link DVI adapters @ £75 each.

You'd be worse off with the Lightning.

It has 2 DVI connectors but neither of them are dual link so you'd need 3 of the miniDP to dual link DVI adapters @ £75 each.

im really glad u said that. was going to buy a dual dvi card thinking it would be better than having to buy adapters. is there no 7970 card that has dual dvi that can output 2560x1440

Caporegime
Might just get a cheap 7970 then 1 £75 adapter would this work.

Not for 3 screens @ 120Hz or greater than 1920x1200 resolution.

Didn't you say you already have a HD 7970?

Adding a second gives you no more connectors as you can only use those on the first card in CrossFire.

What are you exactly trying to achieve?

The GTX 680 has 2 dual link DVI's so would only need 1 dual link adapter for 3 screens @ 120Hz or greater than 1920x1200 resolution (though it needs a full size DP adapter not miniDP).

It's a more expensive card to start off with though.

If you sold your HD 7970 it would probably cost over £100 to get a GTX 680 plus £75 for an adapter.

Or 2 adapters for your HD 7970 would cost £150.

Then there's the question of will you see much benefit from gaming on 3 120Hz screens on a single HD7970 or GTX 680.

Associate
Ill go for 2 adapters. want to get 120z over the 3 screens. and better 3d should happen running them at the right Hz. at the moment running eyefinity but using the screen 3d conversions only get 2 in full 3d.

Caporegime
Ill go for 2 adapters. want to get 120z over the 3 screens. and better 3d should happen running them at the right Hz. at the moment running eyefinity but using the screen 3d conversions only get 2 in full 3d.

What I was trying to say above is that a single HD 7970 will struggle to produce as high enough frame rate across three screens to give you a good playing experience all the time.

You may have the setup to run three screens at 120Hz but if you're only getting 30FPS it's a bit of a waste of time.

Throw 3D into the mix and I assume it can only get worse.

Last edited:
Permabanned
most referance 7970's have one dual link DVI connector and 1 mini display port to dual link DVI adapter, so all you would need is one more mini DP to DL DVI which would cost like £5.

But as said, unless you only play non demanding games 1 card isnt enough for a 3 screen setup and reasonable framerates

Caporegime
most referance 7970's have one dual link DVI connector and 1 mini display port to dual link DVI adapter, so all you would need is one more mini DP to DL DVI which would cost like £5.

Really?

Do you have any idea of what you're on about?

Some HD 7970s come with a miniDP to single link DVI adapter which is no use for 120Hz or greater than 1920x1200 resolution.

The active (which they have to be) miniDP to DVI adapter are around £25 but, as I said, they're no use for 120Hz or greater than 1920x1200 resolution.

What is needed are active miniDP to dual link DVI adapters which cost around £75 each.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Really?

Do you have any idea of what you're on about?

Some HD 7970s come with a miniDP to single link DVI adapter which is no use for 120Hz or greater than 1920x1200 resolution.

The active (which they have to be) miniDP to DVI adapter are around £25 but, as I said, they're no use for 120Hz or greater than 1920x1200 resolution.

What is needed are active miniDP to dual link DVI adapters which cost around £75 each.

Well my reference Sapphire 7970 came with a DP to DL DVI connector that could do 120hz.....

Associate
Has anyone got 3D working in Eyefinity mode?
I fear I may need to purchase 2 of the £75 adapters.

1.= (Digital). My first monitor is going from DVI into a mini-DP port via this adapter http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-058-HS&groupid=1929&catid=1757&subcat=
2.= (HDMI) . The second monitor is going straight from HDMI to HDMI
3.= (Digital) .And the last monitor is going straight DVI to DVI

I thought I'd be at least able to get 60Hz 3D with this but everytime I start Tridef
I always get a Direct3D Stereo error. All monitors are fine in single mode except the one using the Mini-DP adapter never can show 3D?

I'm on a 7950 using 12.3 drivers just about to try 12.4
FPS hasn't been too bad. I stay in the 40's in BF3 with med settings. All other games around the same 35-60s at med to high settings.

Associate
its absolutely beautiful monitor to look at,fast for fps gaming (120hz),its 1080p but 3D effects are somewhat dull compared to passive 3D monitors (D2342P),image in 3D is dark,gave me headache & Dirt 2 & MW3 weren't as fun to play in 3D on this active 3D samsung while i really enjoyed both in passive 3D on my previous LG monitor.

buy it for 120hz.1080p.beautiful image quality but not for 3D.

Excellent review.
Very cool image quality .and I cant wait to see eye infinitely effects as it only has about 1 cm frame.
Its all glossy so very brilliant design.

I have issues with 3D as well. I'm currently using HDMI cable with my old sony laptop whose GFX card is 5650M. (cant run it as 1080p, 120HZ for some reason i dont know. there's no option from display so 1080p, 60Hz now) The movie or stable image is not 2 bad. However, in some fast occassions, like action movie or games. 3d will get you headache. Probably because of lagging issue.

I will connect to my GTX580 desktop later on. I heared the rumor said the Nvidia card wont suit for this 3D monitor. let me wait and seee

Back
Top Bottom