Samsung S23A700D 23" 120Hz 3D Widescreen Gaming Monitor - Black **GET THE VAT BACK?

Associate
Samsung S23A700D 23" 120Hz 3D Widescreen Gaming Monitor - Black **GET THE VAT BACK** [LS23A700DS/EN]

Was looking into 3D gaming and was wanting the Nvidea 2.0 and a decent 120hz monitor. However i see this Samsung monitor (I currently have a 1680x1050 BBW or something around that..one of the good monitors at the time that had issues with having 3 different versions and light bleed etc)

Anyhow, would this be only £160 by time i got cash back and also how would this compare to Nvidea 2 setup as the price seems too good to be true and i'm sure there is some downfalls somewhere!?

I currently game at 1680x1050 at 60hz, so wondered if the 1080p and 120hz is also worth the step up or wait for something that may be around the corner.
(oh n i have GTX460 if that affects anything?)

Associate
It would be 166.66 after you get your cashback and tbh, for that price its an absolute bargain ! Can easily see it shooting back upto £220/240 in possibly a months time.

It doesn't work with Nvidia 3d vision 2, How does it compare? I dont know lol, I'll be getting mine tomorrow :D

As for just gaming, any 120hz monitor should be a massive improvement, im going from an ol' school tft monitor 17" (which I paid stupid amount for back in the day) to one of these babies, can't wait. (I haven't even played COD yet EVER, so this should be very interesting)

The only downfall I can see with it is(I dont have a nvidia card), it doesn't have VESA mounts for putting it on the wall. Anything else anyone ?

Last edited:
Associate
its absolutely beautiful monitor to look at,fast for fps gaming (120hz),its 1080p but 3D effects are somewhat dull compared to passive 3D monitors (D2342P),image in 3D is dark,gave me headache & Dirt 2 & MW3 weren't as fun to play in 3D on this active 3D samsung while i really enjoyed both in passive 3D on my previous LG monitor.

buy it for 120hz.1080p.beautiful image quality but not for 3D.

Last edited:
Soldato
It would be 166.66 after you get your cashback and tbh, for that price its an absolute bargain ! Can easily see it shooting back upto £220/240 in possibly a months time.

It doesn't work with Nvidia 3d vision 2, How does it compare? I dont know lol, I'll be getting mine tomorrow :D

As for just gaming, any 120hz monitor should be a massive improvement, im going from an ol' school tft monitor 17" (which I paid stupid amount for back in the day) to one of these babies, can't wait. (I haven't even played COD yet EVER, so this should be very interesting)

The only downfall I can see with it is(I dont have a nvidia card), it doesn't have VESA mounts for putting it on the wall. Anything else anyone ?

Please post how good or bad you find it to be, as I am also looking a buying one at that price.

Associate
Great monitors I'm considering getting another two right now.

The 3D I thought was pretty good but I was disappointed with the performance in games. So I tried this monitor along with my old monitor in a shoddy eyefinity setup and it was great.

Will 1 7950 be able to run games on 3 monitors? I had BF3 and a few others on 2 monitors yesterday and they ran fine like 50-60fps on med-high settings?

also will I need one of these http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-057-HS&groupid=701&catid=1915&subcat=1577
to add that extra monitor?

Last edited:
Associate
yeah one of those or a mini dp > dvi and you can run 1080p at 60hz
for 120hz off a dp port you need a powered adapter thats like 70quid :(

Associate
yeah one of those or a mini dp > dvi and you can run 1080p at 60hz
for 120hz off a dp port you need a powered adapter thats like 70quid :(

Cheers Pingu.

I was wondering about the one for £74 and asked in another thread which one I'd need.

So if I had 3 of these monitors my options are get the cheaper adapter and stick with the 60hz or fork out for the Startech Mini DisplayPort to DVI to get the full 120hz? Hmmn decisions

Soldato
I have Nvidia cards so the 3D aspect of the monitor is not really useful to me, unless I use it with my PS3, so the main appeal of it is the 120hz. Are there any other 120hz monitors that you can recommend me for about about the same price?

Associate
Ok cheers mate. Do you think I will notice a different in smoothness upgrading from a 75hz 19" to a 120hz 23" ?

smoothness in pc gaming yes but in normal day to day computing/web browsing i'm not sure i notice any difference between this 120hz screen & my previous 60hz monitor.

Associate
its absolutely beautiful monitor to look at,its fast for fps gaming,its 1080p but the 3D effects are dull compared to LG's passive 3D monitors (D2342P),image in 3D is dark,gives me headache & Dirt 2 & MW3 weren't fun to play in 3D on the samsung while i really enjoyed both in 3D on my previous passive LG monitor.

buy it for 120hz.1080p.beautiful image quality but not for 3D.

I know this is going a bit off topic, but how did you find the LG passive, did you get much crosstalk and what was it like for reading text in 3D as i play a lot of mmo type games. just about had it with active 3d so wont mind given one of these a try, maybe the 27" version.

Associate
I know this is going a bit off topic, but how did you find the LG passive, did you get much crosstalk and what was it like for reading text in 3D as i play a lot of mmo type games. just about had it with active 3d so wont mind given one of these a try, maybe the 27" version.

i have only tried it with games which i normally play like dirt,cod,gta..etc & it was very enjoyable with no bad side effects what so ever,also in proper half sbs movies which is again were very enjoyable. i have now ordered the AOC version for 145 inc p&p from another well known retailer,the reason why i went for the AOC although its the same passive tech as the LG is because the AOC's menu is better where i have 3d options available via DVI too not only via HDMI like the LG which means i don't have to use hdmi for my PC to get the best 3D results,also its a touch more responsive with slightly more accurate colours. it also has built in speakers but i don't really care as i'm headphone user.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a GTX 480 and I know that the monitor doesn't 'officially' support the NVIDIA cards but I heard you can make them work.

My question is this, can I use the Samsung transmitter / glasses or do I need a piece of the 3D Vision kit to get it working (i.e. the transmitter?)

I really want this monitor but only if I can get 3D on it.

Associate
I've got a GTX 480 and I know that the monitor doesn't 'officially' support the NVIDIA cards but I heard you can make them work.

My question is this, can I use the Samsung transmitter / glasses or do I need a piece of the 3D Vision kit to get it working (i.e. the transmitter?)

I really want this monitor but only if I can get 3D on it.

you can use the samsung 3D glasses & tridef software with your nvidia gpu.

Associate
So to anyone who owns this monitor would you get 3 of these in Nvidia Surround (2d) or is it worth the step up in image quality to go with a 2560x1440 monitor ? seriously tempted by the 3 monitor deal at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom