Samsung SA850 - 27" PLS LED Monitor

Associate
Samsung is about to release new 8 series - PLS screens.

http://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/32560/1/

Fantastic 27" PLS screen, USB3.0 hub, dual display mode via two DVI, 2560x1440 res, 5ms, 50W, 178/178, 100% sRGB (10bit). A dream come true?
Looks like brushed aluminium.

PLS technology sounds good compared to IPS.
http://www.oled-display.net/smd-showcase-super-pls-lcd-which-will-replace-ips-technology

Question is when these gonna be available.
Samsung releases its new 7 and 9 series (3D and IT hub stuff) on March.
Would this series come out same time? I hope so:)

Associate
Definitely a monitor and technology to watch out for, although I'm not so curious as to when it's going to come out, rather how much it'll be. I expect it'll still be a small fortune, but the tech is cheaper to produce than IPS so maybe the 27" Samsung will be cheaper than say the Dell U2711.

Associate
I believe there is also a 16:10, 24", 1920x1200, LED, PLS screen on it's way according to this page -

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/lcdpanel/product/monitor.html
I'm glad that size, ratio and resolution combo is still being produced and I genuinely do hope PLS is what it's hyped up to be.

There needs to be a better (and ideally cheaper) monitor than the Dell U2410 or HP ZR24w in that range given the slightly iffy quality control issues with current IPS panels.

Soldato
I have pushed for some more information about these from Samsung. I'm not sure what they'll come up with (prices and specifications) but if the pricing is right and the technology can live up to the hype they could certainly be ones to watch. My only 'concerns' are that they will be WLED-backlit and thus have restricted colour gamuts that doesn't really compete with the Dell Ultra Sharps and also that there may be some issues with responsiveness that Samsung don't want to let on. It will be interesting to see whether we get 'PLS glow' and how the contrast turns out, too. On the plus side Samsung may well use a far less aggressive anti-glare coating than we've seen from most recent IPS-panel monitors. That would make a good deal of difference for many people.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have pushed for some more information about these from Samsung. I'm not sure what they'll come up with (prices and specifications) but if the pricing is right and the technology can live up to the hype they could certainly be ones to watch. My only 'concerns' are that they will be WLED-backlit and thus have restricted colour gamuts that doesn't really compete with the Dell Ultra Sharps and also that there may be some issues with responsiveness that Samsung don't want to let on. It will be interesting to see whether we get 'PLS glow' and how the contrast turns out, too. On the plus side Samsung may well use a far less aggressive anti-glare coating than we've seen from most recent IPS-panel monitors. That would make a good deal of difference for many people.

PCM2 - you're a monitor expert - what do you think about that other models - SA/CA650. They supposed to be MVA panels with 92% sRGB color accuracy. What does it mean compared to PLS 100%?
I'm thinking - if SA850 comes out with high price, would one of those SA/CA be good gaming screen, but also good for some minor home photo editing?
Would MVA be too slow for games?

Soldato
Why have a 10bit panel (which may only be 8bit with dithering anyway) to only cover sRGB? 8 bit is more than enough for that. Will be interested to see how this 'SLS' performs though (and lol at the comparison pictures in the OP link - try again Samsung ;))

Soldato

Am I right in assuming that PLS will look better than IPS if all other things are equal? IE they're both LED backlit?

Or am I over simplifying here?

Soldato
Am I right in assuming that PLS will look better than IPS if all other things are equal? IE they're both LED backlit?

Or am I over simplifying here?

Well as all we seem to have on PLS at the moment is the most clearly rigged marketing set up ever, its too early to tell. However, its still an over simplification, as there is more that governs a screens image quality than the type of backlight and type of panel.

Back
Top Bottom