Samsung SA850 - 27" PLS LED Monitor

Soldato
Ah yes so it does. That has been corrected now ;). I use the same basic template for the 'review published' posts as they are shortlived and get deleted after a little while. So if any of the links lead to the wrong place you should find it at the top of the monitor reviews menu :).

Associate
Oh, yea, I forgot to mention, I noticed a typo too, in the pros & cons, in the cons you mention a res of 1920x1070, which I assume was means to be 1920x1080, unless there's a new, strange resolution I've never heard about being used :p

Soldato
That might have been better if he actually turned the monitor on? :D And the reason Samsung says it has 4 USB ports is because it does - but one of them is upstream. Still nice for people to get an idea of the aesthetics of the monitor from the video but it's more of a sales vid for NCIX than anything else. ;)

Associate
Damn, this monitor looks good. Hope OC start stocking it soon. I am also kind of glad it's sold out everywhere as well. Keeps the credit card on ice....

Soldato
I have to say I am sorely tempted by the S24A850DW. It seems to combine all the things I want: a handsome chassis, low LED power consumption, better than TN picture @ 1920x1200, not 1920x1080!

My only worry is the uneven, bleeding backlight, but I'm wondering whether this would have improved in the months since launch?

Any chance of OcUK getting some?

/Edit/ just seen this link for a firmware update for the monitors: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/newsalert/view?spp_news_seq=36100

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to say I am sorely tempted by the S24A850DW. It seems to combine all the things I want: a handsome chassis, low LED power consumption, better than TN picture @ 1920x1200, not 1920x1080!

My only worry is the uneven, bleeding backlight, but I'm wondering whether this would have improved in the months since launch?

Any chance of OcUK getting some?

/Edit/ just seen this link for a firmware update for the monitors: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/newsalert/view?spp_news_seq=36100

That firmware seems to be for the slightly earlier SA350/SA550 series (the SA series is very broad and continuously expanding). It wouldn't be able to fix uniformity issues, that's purely on the hardware side in this case. Samsung have confirmed to me that they have been upgrading their infrastructure for the launch of the SA970 series. Although conjecture I am fairly sure these improvements will have (or have had) a positive effect on the SA850 series, too. There are no promises here but if it's any consolation Samsung is aware they had some problems last year and into this year. :)

Back
Top Bottom