Samsung SpinPoint F2EG 1TB vs Spinpoint F1 1TB?

Don
swizzle, your pc must sound like a rocket ship!

why so many drives in one pc?!

i'd use a spare pc as a server and put fans near all the drives to keep them cool..

Soldato
Just after buying a Samsung Ecogreen F2 1.5TB, will be here tomorrow, will be using it for storage of MP3/FLACs to play on SqueezeBox, so should be well up to the job of doing that, may need to use the Samsung tool to run it as SATAI, as the file server does not support SATAII...

Associate
I awaiting a hard Spinpoint F2 1.5 today so that i can move 4 of my hdd to a nas.

The reason it got so hot was due to me taking the fan out of my Icy Box Dock when i was trying to figure out the noisiest part of my pc ..... then as i do so very easily.... lost the bloody fan :(

Then one very hot day i left my pc on and came home to a rather loud squealing noise :eek: Found the fan now, thank god!

My pc is actually very quiet :) Especially since i got this :D

Soldato
Went with the F1 as it was a lot faster after viewing a lot of websites.

This green malarky is all rubbish anyhow - it's running cooler because it's running slower - thats quite obvious.

If you want a quicker drive then you have to go with the F1.

M.

Soldato
But on the other hand, if you want a large capacity storage drive that's mainly going to be playing/streaming audio & video files, performance isn't necessarily the most important factor. If a drive consumes less power and creates less noise, it's a plus point.

I'm considering the 1.5Tb F2 EcoGreen, as my 320Gb F1 is full almost to the brim.

Soldato
This green malarky is all rubbish anyhow - it's running cooler because it's running slower - thats quite obvious.

That's one part of it, also the choice of electronics used and the firmware optimisations it runs all plays a part. Also the technology is often as good or better in the green drives.

Your Samsung F1 features 333Mb platters which is old now, while the F2G drive has 500Mb platters and is the reason it's not that far behind in sustained transfer rates despite spinning significantly slower.

Soldato
Dont be quick to suggest its rubbish, the F2 drives offer good performance and run slower of course, but they have specific uses, we dont all need drives for desktop performance you know, thats why lots of drives are made to suit individual needs. :rolleyes:

For the price differential I don't see the point in the slower drive. I can't understand why anyone would really want one. It's not like the extra speed is going to be a hinderence to you. Cost wise per year in electricity is going to be very tiny as well.

M.

Soldato
Because they're cheaper, cooler, more efficient and a more recent design. Plus how many F1's do you see for sell at the 1.5Tb size?

The F2G drives are for storage, nothing more. If I was building a machine and looking for say fast OS performance I'd certainly not be looking at a Samsung F1. I'd be going with WRaptor or a SSD, both of which are much faster.

Soldato
Installed this 1.5TB Samsung F2 EcoGreen on a mobo that only supports SATAI and it worked without having to use the Samsung tool to get the HDD run solely @ SATAI, runs very cool and decent performance...in HDTach, Average read 87MB/s with an Access time of 17ms...good value for around £80 I reckon!

Soldato
I've been looking at getting at 1.5tb f2eg as my main backup drive, but I've not seen them as cheap as £80?! Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places, but everyone I've seen advertised is around the £100 mark - with p&p :)

Back
Top Bottom