Samsung SpinPoint F2EG 1TB vs Spinpoint F1 1TB?

Xee

Xee

Associate
Samsung SpinPoint F2EG 1TB vs Spinpoint F1 1TB ??

Putting aside the eco carp, how do these 2 hard drives compare performance wise? Cant find any proper reviews of the F2EG, and where is the 1.5TB version?

Last edited:
Soldato
The F2 is a little slower, it's a 5400rpm drive, though uses 500GB platters.

I'm using one at the moment.

Doesnt ocuk description however state its actually faster then 7200rpm drives ?

Dont see many reviews on the new F2 Samsungs but if its more silent/Greener then even the WD drives I know Samsung will be great !

Wonder why Ocuk will get the new 1.5TBs- 3x500gig platter Samsung F2s in stock ?

Associate
what's the best balanced 1tb drive I can get?
I was looking at the green WD, want to use in my main computer so speed is important, but silence is a priority. I've got a VERY noisy 320gb samsung that was praised for it's silence when I bought it so I'm a bit reluctant to go the same way.

Soldato
what's the best balanced 1tb drive I can get?
I was looking at the green WD, want to use in my main computer so speed is important, but silence is a priority. I've got a VERY noisy 320gb samsung that was praised for it's silence when I bought it so I'm a bit reluctant to go the same way.

How are you mounting your HD's?

Associate
well at the moment I just have on a sheet of sponge foam on the bottom of the case.
the case dampening was useless when I tried to put it in the normal hdd bays, now it's more or less bearable although I can still hear it sometimes. not exactly high tech or good looking but it worked as a temporary solution.

Associate
I have one of each, and although the F2 is slow it isn't that much slower, it also runs about 3-4 degrees cooler, no noticable noise from either.

tbh theres not much difference, but if you don't care about the Eco stuff get the F1.

Soldato
I have one of each, and although the F2 is slow it isn't that much slower, it also runs about 3-4 degrees cooler, no noticable noise from either.

tbh theres not much difference, but if you don't care about the Eco stuff get the F1.

Would you say the F2 is quieter than the F1? I find the F1 very very quiet but it does vibrate a little...

Associate
As much as i love the Spinpoint F1 1TB drives, im well up for any drives that run cooler than them!!

92271813.jpg

Mind you they are all still working fine, even if some of them did somehow reach between 159-224 degress :eek:

When will the F2 1.5 and 2tb versions be available on OCUK?

Last edited:
Soldato
WTF at your temp readings?
My drives have never been above 35 degrees.
What sort of case and cooling are you using? Pressure cooker?

I assume an error is the 225degree reading? Surely there would have been something plastic melt?

Soldato
Mines in now. It manages about 95Mb/s writing large files but is quite a bit slower on smaller files. Seems to save about 3w at idle over the Samsung F1 it replaces so a minor saving, and it's very quiet.

Soldato
Nice. Quiet is good. I'm not too fussed about performance sine I'm coming from a 500GB disk several generations older and it'll be at least as good as that.

Back
Top Bottom