Samsung SSDs Dying! 980 Pro, 990, 970 EVO PLUS, PM9A1 And More

Associate
I am surprised nothing has been posted here on this issue, unless i have missed it,

having only just bought a Synology NAS, I subscribe to this place, and this dropped in my email box,

i bought 2 980 Pro NVME drives in Nov, waiting to install them, a little worried they are affected, although their serial numbers dont come up in this article,

so crossing my fingers

They recomnmend updating the 980 Pro firmware to 5B2QGXA7, seems that firmware has been out for a long time, since Jan 2022. As I update my firmware regularly that probably explains why my 2TB 980 Pro that I bought Nov 2021 is showing as 99% health after 28TB written. Pretty sure my drive had the dodgy 3B2QGXA7 firmware when I had it but I must have written 5TB with that firmware without any drops in health. My 980 Pro serial number S69ENF0R is showing up though in that article.

Thankfully my more recent 870 QVO 8TB isn't affected by this issue, 12TB written to that with 99% health left. Definitely avoiding Samsung drives for a while though.

oh thats promising if your 980pro was on that list, glad it seems to be ok on the later F/W,

what are your read right speeds like ?

It's used as a backup drive in an enclosure these days, but I did run it for a few months as my main drive on that newer firmware and speeds were always great. It's used to clone my main 2TB SN850 every month so about 1.1TB gets written each time and it's still a healthy drive.
Thanks again, thats reassuring to know, i probably will just try mine, feeling a little uneasy about selling them to someone unknowingly, £400 is not chimp change, And at least i can RMA them if they go bust

Back
Top Bottom