Samsung TV display issues

Associate
I have a Samsung UE42F5000, and have noticed a faint dark patch in the middle of the display, also very faint thick white lines down the middle and across. The dark patch is only noticeable on a white background and the white lines are only noticeable when the display is dark.

The slight abnormalities are only present when using HDMI (both ports), and do not appear when there is nothing displayed.

I brought it last year (September) from a high street electrical chain, although no longer have the receipt and box. Am I screwed ???

Associate
I just bought this TV on the 1st of this month and got it yesterday, my standby button turns the tv off but not on >< I did read that the screens for these TV's can "ghost" i think was the term used, this only happens if a still image is left on the screen for too long like a picture or a TV channels logo but that doesn't sound like that.

Associate
i think its basically image burn but its called something different on LED, like my old LCD i have, it was called Image persistence.

Not sure why they all have different names as they're the same thing really lol.

Associate
OP
Ah right, get you. Well mines definitely not image persistence / retention / burn as the lines are now moving. lol Think it may be interference from something!

Soldato
I have 3 Samsung F5000 TV's (a 32, 42 and 46) and haven't noticed any of your problems on any of them. Also, my remote standby button turns the TV on.

Associate
I have a Samsung UE42F5000, and have noticed a faint dark patch in the middle of the display, also very faint thick white lines down the middle and across. The dark patch is only noticeable on a white background and the white lines are only noticeable when the display is dark.

The slight abnormalities are only present when using HDMI (both ports), and do not appear when there is nothing displayed.

I brought it last year (September) from a high street electrical chain, although no longer have the receipt and box. Am I screwed ???

A term called DSE (Dirty Screen Effect). Almost all edge lit LCD panels will have this. On some it is more noticeable than others.

There is a piece of clear perspex in these screens and because of their length, they flex slightly which gives a slightly inconsistent backlight effect which is more noticeable on panning scenes and sports like Football.

Associate
OP
A term called DSE (Dirty Screen Effect). Almost all edge lit LCD panels will have this. On some it is more noticeable than others.

There is a piece of clear perspex in these screens and because of their length, they flex slightly which gives a slightly inconsistent backlight effect which is more noticeable on panning scenes and sports like Football.

Ah cool, thanks. As you seem to know your onions from your shallots, what could cause faint lines moving up the screen? I have heard something about interference, I have a Samsung blu ray 5.1 surround sound player and my pc, ps4, Apple TV, and Sky box all running through the hdmi in via a hdmi switch. Could something be causing some sort of interference anywhere?

Thanks.

Associate
The HDMI switch could be the culprit there. Try one of your devices without going through the switchbox and see if it has disappeared. What length are your HDMI cables? Over 5m?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tip. Cable lengths are standard, no where near 5m. I removed the switch and put my ps4 directly into the blu ray player, and then moved it to the hdmi in at the back of the TV and both configurations exhibited the same results, faint lines moving up the screen. :/

Soldato
this is one of the reasons why I dumped my LCD in favour of a plasma after only 3 years.

Like mentioned when you get a solid plane light coloured image on the screen you can tell the inconsistencies.

This was mine

Associate
OP
Try each device on it's own in different HDMI ports to try and rule out the possibility of some sort of interference.

I have disconnected everything, bar the single device I am testing (plugged directly into the TV) and still get the symptom! Turning the brightness down masks it so I'll just live with it I guess. Thanks.

Associate
OP
this is one of the reasons why I dumped my LCD in favour of a plasma after only 3 years.

Like mentioned when you get a solid plane light coloured image on the screen you can tell the inconsistencies.

This was mine

That looks really bad, :eek:

Back
Top Bottom