Sanity check - Ryzen 3600 build

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £647.10 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

I'm looking at pressing the trigger on the above once the board comes into stock. Am I making any bad mistakes here or missing good deals for spending a bit more ? Its to replace my current Haswell 4790K build which is getting more and more flaky - I suspect the motherboard is on its way out.

I already have a 1070Ti which will go into this build and will get Windows 10 retail. Don't need any more storage as I already run a NAS.

The 3600X is about 30 quid more this week, but reading around I get the impression its unlikely to be a noticeable difference. I'm not interested in any fancy overclocking beyond what the BIOS would give me for free.

Uses will be software development, gaming, some media encoding and general "stuff". Current rig is 16 Gig RAM so don't think I need jump to 32, but the option is there down the line.

Associate
Soldato
OP
I have a 760W Corsair AX PSU in my current rig and will probably cut over to it once I have transferred everything over. Expecting to run both systems for a month or two just to be sure its all done as there's stuff lurking I don't use *that* often (hence buying a case as well). I bought a MB for the 4790K a while ago before they stopped being stocked anywhere and will re-purpose the old components to a scratch box for running assorted virtual machines. New box will all be a clean install as the current has gone Windows 7 --> 8 --> 10 and full of junk.

PSU's are not something I will ever cheap out on. Seen enough horror stories here and elsewhere when one goes. Scratch box won't need to run a graphics card so went for lower wattage.

Soldato
OP
That's 650 GBP you will hardly feel.

IMO if you are not going 8 core, then save your money.

Nice looking build thread in that sig :)

You're right, but I'm trying to avoid the insidious "just slightly more" creep of upgrades as you suddenly find the cost escalates to £lol money. I did consider a 2700X instead but reviews were showing little real world difference against the 3600 and going 3700 or higher jumps over my budget. If the Tomahawk doesn't appear in stock soon a 2700X gives me more B450 choices.

This is a bit of a forced move as the current box has been flaky for a while but seems to be getting worse in the last month. I'm also expecting the pound to fall even more in the next few months given brexit and the donald doing his best to **** everything up waving his willy at china, so "now" just seems to be the least-worst timing. A few years ago I'd have spent 2 or 3 times more quite happily, but priorities change.

I don't play the latest games and coding on something less that premium spec forces me to write better code. It should do me 2 or 3 years and then the landscape will have changed. This will be a good system to pass over to the children.

Soldato
OP
How's your 4790k, good overclocker ?

No clue now because of the ongoing MB cold boot problems. To boot can take up to 10 attempts and sometime removing a RAM stick, letting it all "warm up" for an hour with just one stick and then powering down and putting the second stick back in. I've done the usual stuff suggested on the forums, including re-seating the CPU and renewing thermal paste.

I did get a reasonable overclock when it was all new - can't remember how much, just that it was similar to what others reported in the forums, but just been running at stock for 18 months now as I didn't really want to keep faffing around and an overclock is probably the first thing to take off when the thing won't boot.

Associate
No clue now because of the ongoing MB cold boot problems. To boot can take up to 10 attempts and sometime removing a RAM stick, letting it all "warm up" for an hour with just one stick and then powering down and putting the second stick back in. I've done the usual stuff suggested on the forums, including re-seating the CPU and renewing thermal paste.

I did get a reasonable overclock when it was all new - can't remember how much, just that it was similar to what others reported in the forums, but just been running at stock for 18 months now as I didn't really want to keep faffing around and an overclock is probably the first thing to take off when the thing won't boot.

Have you tried just leaving it ON permanently ?

Associate

Do you have a spare PSU to test if that makes any difference?

Soldato
OP
Do you have a spare PSU to test if that makes any difference?

Yes a ~10 year old BeQuiet so I'd not want to use it long term in a build, but tried and no obvious difference. I am pretty convinced its the motherboard dying (Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force). Proof will be when I cannibalise for the scratch build box and use the one I bought before they stopped being stocked forever (ASRock B85M Pro 3). If the Tomahawk doesn't appear in stock soonish I may just go this route anyway and live with the downtime.

Associate
Personally I would do a test build for stability in the ASrock B85 before ruling out whats not wrong.

The SOC Force was a nice motherboard, if you have not been heavily overclocking it may well be fine.

Have you tested your memory?
Two issues have caused my Haswell builds issues, two old MSI 7950's with driver issues and failing.

And a PSU may, not sure but may, be causing my C5 error due to being pre Haswell. That PC on shutdown sometimes starts again or enters a sleep state with C5 on motherboard but doesnt wake up.

An old PC ages ago was also flakey, and a fresh install on a new hd solved that.

Im in a similar situation, really want a 3900X build, running a 4770k at the moment, but probably only need a 3600. But feel a 3700X should be minimum.

No hurry here though.

Soldato
Only thing to make you aware is that the B450 boards do not support that processor out of the box so you may need a bios update to get the processor working.

You can either buy a cheap processor to do the bios update or go through AMD for the boot kit. they will provide a cpu and cooler that will work with the board.

Took a week to get one here after giving them what they needed etc when I built my sons pc.

As it’s currently out of stock the new boards “should” come with the latest bios applied

Soldato
Only thing to make you aware is that the B450 boards do not support that processor out of the box so you may need a bios update to get the processor working.

You can either buy a cheap processor to do the bios update or go through AMD for the boot kit.
All MSI's MAX boards support Zen2 CPUs straight from the box.
They're specifically made updated versions with 32MB BIOS chip to fit MSI's bloated BIOS with support for Zen2.

Also most MSI's B450 have feature for flashing BIOS without any CPU.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bvfo57/list_of_b350_b450_x370_and_x470_motherboards_with/

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom