• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire x1900xt freezing in games

Associate
Problem: 3d games (FEAR, HL2..) lag every few seconds. A moment of stickyness, then continues smoothly, then sticky, then smooth again.

Rig:
Cpu: AMD Dual Core 3800
GPU: Sapphire x1900xt
Ram: DDR4, 2 gig
HD: Sata, partitioned
PSU: SICASE GOLD 500W POWER SUPPLY

Software:
(All new installations)

Windows xp sp2
Catalyst 6.4

Things that have been attempted

Flashing BIOS
Installing AMD Dual core drivers
Installing windows xp dual core cpu hot fix + registory fix
Omega drivers 6.3 (didnt notice any improvement, removed)
Pci Latency Tool (my card doesnt show up..)

Suggested causes

An initial suggestion was becuase my mobo is SLI and im using a Crossfire card, however many web sources state this isnt a problem with a single GPU

Another was temperature, however comparing other GPU temps mine is normal (65-75), and even if it eventually got hot enough to cause problems, it shouldnt upon start.. my problems are immediately when I play a 3d game.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
PSU maybe? I've heard people saying they're buying 480-550w for these graphics cards, and I'm using a 460w Akasa dual-12v one for my X1800XT. What brand is yours, and how much amperage is on the 12v rail(s)?

Soldato
A random name said:
They're definately not the best in the world :) Enermax or Tagan would be a much better choice.
Ah, the Hiper Type-R looked good to me, but I am not actually looking for one for myself. Only on an X1800XT and it's more than happy with my Akasa 460w.

Soldato
When i phoned OCUK, they recommended there best PSU`s and hardly none existent returns PSU is the Tagen 580W modular PSU....

there have been lots of returns on the hyper PSU`s they use VERY VERY VERY CRAP FANS sleeve POS fans that crap out at some point or another very early into the PSU`s life.

if you lucky to have this not happen to you yet then be wary of it becuse it will happen.....

IMHO i would stay well clear of Hypers i have had 2 and both craped out with various faults from over heating to fans giveing out or makeing noises like hairdryers.

best PSU i can recommend that wont crap out and has brute force when underload is the TAGEN 580W psu`s

Soldato
Tagan 4 life!

Have a 330W one that's lasted me quite a few upgrades. But when I move to PCI-E I'll have to upgrade to one of its younger (newer) brothers, & not because of Watts (W), but rail Amps (A)! I think ppl forget to mention how important the latter is.

Have a twirl at this :)

Associate
OP
SICASE GOLD 500W POWER SUPPLY

Super Quiet with 12cm Cooling Fan
Dimesion (L x H x D): 156 x 85 x 150 mm
AC Input 115/230VAC 8A/4A 60/50 HZ
DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
30A 35A 18A 0.5A 0.5A 3A

Soldato
I have the modular Tagan 580w PSU.

I did hear reports that its 5v and 3.3v rails aint the best, and this does seem to be backed up by the rail graphs OCCT produces. However they do not drop bellow the rated minimum for each rail and I have never had any stability problems. So good PSU's.

Anything from Tagan, Enermax or Seasonic and you can't go wrong.

Also from a browsing a few high overclocking sites, including Shimano at VR Zone, they seem to be choosing the high power Silverstone PSU's too.

There is an Aerocool PSU which is modular with good quality braiding and a 13.5CM fan which has some good reviews.

Back
Top Bottom